Ready Player One

Hello all, so I am new to this post forum topic room, I just finished the book and it was amazing! I cant wait for the movie! I would have never known anything about this book or movie had it not been for the trailer that made me interested. I haven't read a book in years that I got so involved in! I hope the movie will be as good and stay true to the book. Do you all think they will be able to use all of the movie, tv, music and pop culture references in the movie?

Hello all, so I am new to this post forum topic room, I just finished the book and it was amazing! I cant wait for the movie! I would have never known anything about this book or movie had it not been for the trailer that made me interested. I haven't read a book in years that I got so involved in! I hope the movie will be as good and stay true to the book. Do you all think they will be able to use all of the movie, tv, music and pop culture references in the movie?

Ummm...no.

I enjoyed the book, but this just looks... meh. I don't care for the kid they cast as the lead and I don't particularly care for the changes I've heard of. How can you possibly do an adaptation of a story as steeped in 80s nostalgia as RPO while excising references to Spielberg movies? Unless they really come out swinging with the next few trailers, this looks like a "wait till it's on Netflix" movie for me.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing. I feel a major plot point in the book is Wade being overweight and how he looses the weight. From what I've seen in the trailer that won't even be a point of discussion.:thumbsdown

Ummm...no.

Hey there Funky! This is the first time I've ventured outside anything BTTF on here, its nice to see a familiar face.
So in anyones opinion what percentage of all the copyrights, licenses, and things that were mentioned in the book do you think will actually make it into the movie? I am hoping at least 75% of all the great pop culture-iconic things that were talked about in the book will be in the movie. Especially the ships wade owes and flies around in. You would think they couldn't avoid that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed it too. I just keep thinking of all the ways they're going to screw this up. It's one of those projects that I don't see how it can be done, by anyone, ever.

I just finished the book earlier today and it was amazing! I really hope they dont screw it up. I really hope they stay true to everything in the book or as close as they can. I hope its as good as I have envisioned it in my head while reading it. My childhood all came flying back at me with a thrill ride while reading this. I hope they can capture that feeling in the movie. I hope its not "pixels" all over again.

Hey there @Funky! This is the first time I've ventured outside anything BTTF on here, its nice to see a familiar face.
So in anyones opinion what percentage of all the copyrights, licenses, and things that were mentioned in the book do you think will actually make it into the movie? I am hoping at least 75% of all the great pop culture-iconic things that were talked about in the book will be in the movie. Especially the ships wade owes and flies around in. You would think they couldn't avoid that?

I'm thinking more like 15%. There's just too much in the book.

More likely. For one thing, Spielberg has said that he's leaving out references to his own work, which does take a good bite out of the references. Many of the nods in the book may be too obscure for even fairly geeky audiences to catch, without having them explained, which will eat up too much time. (Even I appreciated some of the explanations in the book, though I got a lot more of the geeky stuff than my wife did)

I don't think we'll be seeing Star Wars stuff in the film at all. I also expect that a lot of the anime references in the book will be replaced with American ones. i.e.: the presence of the Iron Giant in the trailer. I'm thinking that he might replace the
Leopardon from Japanese Spiderman, because that one's really obscure, and probably embroiled in lots of licensing issues. I hope hope hope that Aech still uses the RX-78-2 Gundam in the final battle...

As for Wade's weight, they still could use that, because it doesn't come up until the second act of the book. OTOH, that's just more time that they'd have to devote to that issue, and another tangent from the main plot. I imagine they'll leave that out to "slim down" the narrative. It's already going to be really crammed.

I'm more curious if they're going to attempt the "tests" like they are in the book, specifically the first test relating to

playing the part of Matthew Broderick's character in War Games

If they do attempt that, I wonder how they'll pull it off. It would be very cool to see it like I imagined it in my head.

I'm more curious if they're going to attempt the "tests" like they are in the book, specifically the first test relating to

If they do attempt that, I wonder how they'll pull it off. It would be very cool to see it like I imagined it in my head.

Those tests are such an integral part of the story I would think they would "have to" have them in the movie. Which is why I am hoping they are getting all the permissions and rights and everything they need to make this movie right. There is so much I hope they dont cut out from the book, It would be disappointing if they cut corners and left that stuff out. Before they even green-lighting this movie I hope someone did the research and said "ya know guys to make this right, were gonna need access and permission to all these 80's movies, tv shows pop cultures ect etc." I mean granted I dont know anything about the movie making process myself but you would think the book creator/writer wouldn't just roll over and let a movie studio compromise everything for the sake of just having a movie adaptation? Just my hopes and thought anyway...

Probably not. The Flicksync bits work well in the book, but they wouldn't work well as film scenes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those tests are such an integral part of the story I would think they would "have to" have them in the movie. Which is why I am hoping they are getting all the permissions and rights and everything they need to make this movie right. There is so much I hope they dont cut out from the book, It would be disappointing if they cut corners and left that stuff out. Before they even green-lighting this movie I hope someone did the research and said "ya know guys to make this right, were gonna need access and permission to all these 80's movies, tv shows pop cultures ect etc." I mean granted I dont know anything about the movie making process myself but you would think the book creator/writer wouldn't just roll over and let a movie studio compromise everything for the sake of just having a movie adaptation? Just my hopes and thought anyway...

Except a lot of them do. They're getting paid for the rights to their book. That's all a lot of people care about. I mean, Steven Gould, who wrote Jumper, makes a good point when he said that whatever they do on the big screen doesn't affect what he wrote. There's the book. It never changes. But he made a ton of money licensing the film rights, probably more than he made writing the book, so he doesn't really care one way or the other. Plus, he got to write several other books based on the changes they made to the book in the movie.

But that's really my fear for the movie. I don't think anyone can do it right. There are so many rights that you have to get, plus there is no way to make it into a 2+ hour movie without deep cuts, that I have zero hope that Hollywood will do it right, even with Spielberg involved. As with everything else Hollywood adapts, they're going to half-ass it and nobody is going to be satisfied. Some books simply cannot be adequately adapted.

I just can't wait to see the other two keys. The crystal one is going to be hard to make.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I want to see what the OASIS console(s) looks like.

From the trailer, and what I've seen of on-location footage shot by bystanders, the visor is the console (in one of the footage film by someone, there are users wearing the same kind of visor that Wade starts out with, and they can be seen as the IOI are chasing what appears to be Aech's van (in another on-location footage shot by someone, there's users that appear to be fighting in while wearing the same visor). But I could be wrong, as there could be a portable computer that users can strap onto them, or considering how advance technologies are getting smaller, put it in their back pocket with the visor connected to it.

i really enjoy the book, the trailer is quite fun, but what matter for me is that they don't screw the scene with the tomb of terror...:)cause for me the most important thing in the 80s were the rpgs like d&d

i really enjoy the book, the trailer is quite fun, but what matter for me is that they don't screw the scene with the tomb of terror...:)cause for me the most important thing in the 80s were the rpgs like d&d

They may not include it. Hard to know for sure.

i know, i know, but i would really like to see some d&d stuff:lol

Well, they do include some D&D artwork in the film. The mail van we've seen being filmed on location has some images that are from the early D&D books.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back