Ready Player One

Seeing that the Giant will get a sequel of sorts, brings tears to my eyes. I really love that character, and I think he is the greatest of superheroes. I think Spielberg has a deep respect for that character and even paid homage to him via Bumblebee, in the first half of "Transformers".

Yes I am biased. "Iron Giant" came out shortly after my brother died, and I escaped to see that movie at the theater 10 times. I can't see Spielberg doing wrong by him and Brad Bird. I don't see why Diesel wouldn't jump at the chance to voice him again.

I enjoyed the book, but this just looks... meh. I don't care for the kid they cast as the lead and I don't particularly care for the changes I've heard of. How can you possibly do an adaptation of a story as steeped in 80s nostalgia as RPO while excising references to Spielberg movies? Unless they really come out swinging with the next few trailers, this looks like a "wait till it's on Netflix" movie for me.

I also enjoyed the book but this trailer left me a little cold. I liked some of the references but others were kind of obscure. Maybe I was a little too old for some of them, I was 12 in 1980 to start the decade. Also I don't recall all the car chases in the book.

I didnt know that they cast the kid from Xmen in the title role, I dont think this will wash the bad taste left in my mouth from last time I saw him. The stacks looked exactly how I imagined them, car chase seemed cool, hopefully its properly done, but Ill see this for sure. But if mecha-godzilla (kiryu) isnt at the end...Im going to be a sad panda.

I loved the book. but after seeing the trailer, I am wondering is there another Ready Player One book that they are making a movie from? ;)

Think of all the copyrights they would need to make this movie just like the book. Also, think back to ET. Spielberg wanted M&M's for the movie but couldn't get permission. He made Reeces pieces.
If this is a big hit, it will spawn a huge 80's nostalgia buying spree. People will want to play pack man again or watch old episodes of tv shows.

I loved the book. but after seeing the trailer, I am wondering is there another Ready Player One book that they are making a movie from? ;)

Think of all the copyrights they would need to make this movie just like the book. Also, think back to ET. Spielberg wanted M&M's for the movie but couldn't get permission. He made Reeces pieces.
If this is a big hit, it will spawn a huge 80's nostalgia buying spree. People will want to play pack man again or watch old episodes of tv shows.

That's one of the reasons I don't think this movie can be done right, by anyone, ever. Just the licensing fees alone would be massive. And of course, all of those companies are going to want their products featured prominently, they won't be happy with a 2 second shot of some obscure 80s property, which is going either make this not at all like the book, or it's going to make it advertising central. Both will suck.

Wait, wasn't Iron Giant a 90's movie?

I'm not sure how to feel about this trailer. It has some of the awesome atmosphere, but it's also lacking. Not really feeling the SUXors look. And I'm really unsure what to think about the race. Obviously, they won't be able to bring in the Star Wars stuff, but I'm really hoping they bring in the anime angle.

I think I'll have to wait until the full trailer to know if this can really catch the mojo.

Wait, wasn't Iron Giant a 90's movie?

I'm not sure how to feel about this trailer. It has some of the awesome atmosphere, but it's also lacking. Not really feeling the SUXors look. And I'm really unsure what to think about the race. Obviously, they won't be able to bring in the Star Wars stuff, but I'm really hoping they bring in the anime angle.

I think I'll have to wait until the full trailer to know if this can really catch the mojo.

Yes, the Iron Giant was a 1990s film. But, I think the Giant was one of the robots on the list of robots as the prize for the second gate (been some time since I read the book). But, if that's not the case, it may be someone's NPC (just because the story is going to reference a lot of the 1980s properties doesn't mean that, in-universe, there's isn't people who are obsessed with properties from other time periods. Hell, Wade uses a Firefly-class space ship (from a TV show in the late 1990s/early 2000s and has an X-Wing from the original (started in 1977 and ended in the 1980s, but there's a reference to the fact that Halliday, the game's creator, apparently liked the prequels too, which came out in the late 1990s and ended in the 2000s).

I'm sure there's users in the OASIS that's probably obsessed with the TV show Friends and has perfect NPC replicas of the cast, or maybe replicas of the Raza from Dark Matter flying around in the OASIS. Maybe there's even replicas of WALL-E being used as someone's security system in their digital homes inside the OASIS. And, there could even be someone who lives in The Munster's house. Remember, the Egg Hunt is what's the cause of the 1980s being in the forefront of pop culture in the story.

As for the Suxors, I like their avatars look more than the book. Why? Because it better represents them. The Sixers sold their souls to the cooperate machine that's trying to win, therefore they are drones to that machine that lack even more vIsual identification than in the book (in the book, they were default avatars, which I assume looked human, with the same uniform. To me, the avatars in the film better match the IOI).

Wish its Iron Giant 2... this trailer is pretty meh to me. Plus Steven hasn't made a movie I like for a long long time. But we shall see.

Curious to see a real trailer for that, because this comic-con thing, for me, not knowing at all the property, is a big WTF is this ? Does not tell me what it's about, looks like a giant mess, and does not make me want to see it even a tiny bit. It might be something totally awesome, but this trailer ain't selling it at all...

Curious to see a real trailer for that, because this comic-con thing, for me, not knowing at all the property, is a big WTF is this ? Does not tell me what it's about, looks like a giant mess, and does not make me want to see it even a tiny bit. It might be something totally awesome, but this trailer ain't selling it at all...

It's awesome. Think of it as a Charlie and the chocolate factory-Esque contest/ scavenger hunt built by the creator of the online vr environment/gaming/educational/social system that everyone uses, to be released at the time of his death and who was completely obsessed with eighties pop culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's awesome. Think of it as a Charlie and the chocolate factory-Esque contest/ scavenger hunt built by the creator of the online vr environment/gaming/educational/social system that everyone uses, to be released at the time of his death and who was completely obsessed with eighties pop culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure, the book was loaded with it but even the musical choice of Rush, who I like, certainly for me doesn't scream '80's the way say Gaurdians soundtracks are so solidly '70's.

Funny that you compare it to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I'm pretty sure the three notes they keep playing over the title are from the Willy Wonka song "Pure Imagination".

Also, I really want those keys. :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back