Ready Player One

That van looks like something that Aech may drive. Could be wrong.

You know, I've actually been wandering around Second Life since I noticed the similarities between it and OASIS. In fact, Linden Lab is currently developing a VR environment similar to Second Life that is VR dedicated (meaning you'd need a rig like Oculus Rift or similar). Seeing the video about it, it invokes more similarities to RPO (even though I've seen videos of people using VR helmets with Second Life).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a really big fan of Ernest Cline's books especially Ready Player one! Who else is ready to see Stephen Spielberg's take of the novel?Also what cast changes would you make?

I do have one major concern for the film, which I talk about in the the video linked. But, my concern may be unfounded and pointless. However, I'm interested in seeing what Spielberg does: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7NKuXxNbtE

As for recasting roles, I'd probably have gone with Keith Gordon (Christine, Back To School, The Legend of Billie Jean) for the role of Halliday, using makeup to age him for any scenes in his sixties and use the digital facelift effects for scenes when he's meant to look younger (including Anorak's Inventation).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
SPOILERS************

OK, so I am seeing.
The Iron Giant
The BTTF DeLorean
Freddy Krueger
The arcade Joust knights riding their ostriches
? Serious Sam with a bazooka?... on second look, it could be Duke Nukem
Akira's motorcycle

I enjoyed the book, but this just looks... meh. I don't care for the kid they cast as the lead and I don't particularly care for the changes I've heard of. How can you possibly do an adaptation of a story as steeped in 80s nostalgia as RPO while excising references to Spielberg movies? Unless they really come out swinging with the next few trailers, this looks like a "wait till it's on Netflix" movie for me.

SPOILERS************

OK, so I am seeing.
The Iron Giant
The BTTF DeLorean
Freddy Krueger
The arcade Joust knights riding their ostriches
? Serious Sam with a bazooka?... on second look, it could be Duke Nukem
Akira's motorcycle

Pretty sure it looked like Deadpool and Harley Quinn walking into the party. Also saw the A Team van and Christine in the lineup for the race.... speaking of which... a race?!? Not sure how that will play into the plot, unless maybe IOI stages some sort of race for the final key or something like that.

Just saw the trailer. OMG, now I'm really wanting to see this. I still have my concerns, as I've stated before (which is mainly Spielberg catching the look and feel of his work circa the 1980s, which he hasn't had since Jurassic Park).

Now, the only drawback I had about the trailer was the fact that they used "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. Don't get me wrong, I like Rush and (pardon my french), I ****ing hate "Tom Sawyer." Again, Hollywood is associating that stupid song with video gaming. Seriously, there's other songs by Rush that can tie into video gaming just as easily, such as "Subdivision" (hell, and that's extra kudos points for the fact that their music video actually featured Tempest, which even Halliday would have caught!). But other than that Rush song choice (I hope to god they don't include that, and just stick with the intro of 2112 or "Subdivisions"), the music was okay.

It looks like they did an excellent job on the stacks, and so far, it does feel mostly like how it is with the books.

Now, onto some of the stuff I managed to catch with my little eye on the second viewing:

1. (Updated) 0:33 - I originally thought that was Deadpool and Lady Deadpool passing Wade. But thanks to a fellow user I know from Reddit, and the fact that RPO is a WB movie, it may be Harley Quinn and Slade Wilson (Deathstroke), as both are DC characters that Warner Brothers owns. In fact, that's not just Harley Quinn and Deathstroke. Both Harley and Deathstroke are dressed as they are seen is in the video game Batman: Arkham Knight.

2. 0:45 - The Iron Giant, of course. I'm glad to see that beautiful character on the big screen once again (and I hope Vin Diesal is voicing the character once more). :D

3. 0:52 - I think this may be a real world scene set in the past, after Halliday has gotten the BTTF DeLorean mentioned in the book (it seems rather bright and colorful to contrast the future setting). Or this could be Wade testing out the DeLorean after getting passed the first gate.

4. 1:00 - Silly Freddy Krueger! You don't belong in this fight! XD

5. 1:11 - Not only is the A-Team van present on the right side of the screen, but it looks like Christine, the 1958 Plymouth Fury from the John Carpenter adaptation of Stephen King's Christine is going to be in the race as well (good to see that beautiful car on the screen once more). BTW, for those who are wondering why I worded the description like that, it's because in King's book, Christine is described as a four-door Plymouth Fury, which didn't exist in real life, and that certainly looks like the two-door Fury as seen in the film.

3. 1:35 - I do believe that's Art3mis rocking Kaneda's bike from the cyberpunk anime classic, Akira!

4. 1:40 to 1:41 - Yep, that's Kaneda's bike. Rather fitting for her.

5. 1:42 - 1:45 - Look at the DeLorean hauling ass! It'd make Doc Brown proud! Beautiful seeing that machine once more on the big screen. Also, at 1:45 Christine shows up on the right side on the screen for a brief moment.

6. 1:48 - Good rear view of the Kaneda's Bike. But what caught my attention was on the right side of the screen. ****! That's the second time that Mad Max's V8 Interceptor has been on the big screen recently and gotten smashed up! Seriously, did George Miller have it in the contract for the licensing of the Interceptor that it gets smashed up in all recent films? Come on!

7. (recent addition) 0:57 - The Joust knight and bird attacking the giant scorpion mech! At 0:58, it gets turned into the Egg, just like in the game.

8. (recent addition) 1:01 (how ironic) - There's Duke Nukem! He's the one on the right side of the screen shooting the rocket launcher, just shortly after Freddy Krueger bites the dust.

9. (recent adddition) 1:21 - After looking closer at Christine on the right side of the screen, I do believe that's Laura Croft from Tomb Raider (pre-reboot) with her arm draped on her roof, and it looks like she's talking to Dizzy Wallin from the Gears of War franchise. Also, on the lower left side of the frame, that looks like the car from the arcade classic Pole Position.

10. (recent addition) 1:29 - Apparently, the race is taking place in a virtual version of New York City, as you can see the reflection of the Statue of Liberty in the green light before it comes on.

11. (recent addition) 1:38 - It looks like the Orc/Troll (I assume that's I-Rok) is apparently using a modified Bigfoot monster truck for the race. If you pause at the 1:38 time stamp, you can see the iconic Bigfoot logo. And the DeLoraen looks like it has a rough landing shortly after that (seriously, if you go frame by frame, you can see the front hood pops up and then slams shut).

I'll admit, after watching the trailer the first time, I got goosebumps. I kid you not. I look forward to watching this repeatedly so to see what other easter eggs that could be found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I enjoyed it too. I just keep thinking of all the ways they're going to screw this up. It's one of those projects that I don't see how it can be done, by anyone, ever.

Never heard of the books, but the trailer looks like Wreck-It Ralph, Pixels, and everything from the 80's got thrown into a blender. Nostalgic appeal aside, it looks like a mess.

Never heard of the books, but the trailer looks like Wreck-It Ralph, Pixels, and everything from the 80's got thrown into a blender. Nostalgic appeal aside, it looks like a mess.
Book, singular. Really, you're not wrong. The references are chockablock in the book and kind of overblown at times, but overall it was a quick, fun read, IMO.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back