Johnny Depp / Jack Sparrow Bust WIP - NEW PICS

Re: Johnny Depp / Jack Sparrow Bust WIP

Thanks so much guys!
I'm really excited to get one of these finished displays for myself when I'm done.
The commissioner of the piece wanted a resin bust, so that's what I'll be making, however that doesn't mean I won't be experimenting a bit with other casting materials for myself ;)
I was also throwing around the notion of doing a sculpted hair version, much like I did for the Tony Stark sculpt.

Whatever I do, I will post here so stay tuned :D

Oh yeah, sculpted hair version! I would definitely want one! Hand laying all the hair on Howards' took forEVER!!!

Really nice work on the Depp likeness.

The smirk gives him a unique look & it should look outstanding once you sculpt hair & paint one up.:thumbsup

Thanks again guys :D
Sculpting the hair will be a challenge, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
I want to focus on getting the bald version as best as I can at all angles.
I'm going to work on getting the eyebrow and forehead section shapes right on my next sitting as well as the nostrils as Howard brought out and then I'll start sharpening up the details on the face.
Not much to update, hopefully I'll have time during the week to sit down for a couple of hours on this, but here's another pic until then.
7B.jpg

Easily your best work to date! I really like the meat around the mouth, looks very natural.

I always find it difficult to envision the finished piece with blank eyes in photos, drawing on some pupils helps me ( or just use some eyes) but I can clearly see depp there.

Looks amazing so far. Very impressed with the likeness at this stage. Cannot wait to see this one completed.

Looking real nice, Vash.
Being a huge POTC fan, I'll be watching this with great interest.

this is creepy.

and I mean that as a compliment. It looks exactly like him. It looks amazing. Good jorb.

I would sculpt only the facial hair,You can do the chin goatee as separate pieces to glue on and leave the head alone.. Wig works best and you don't have to sculpt all that.

Thanks again guys!
I'm finally starting to see him too. I worked quite a bit on getting the left side (right in picture) right and I think I'm getting there.
I did a quick photoshop just to see where I'm at and I think it's on the right track:
9comp.jpg

Last edited:

Dude!!!! Holy Frakkin Cow:love You are a sculpting machine.

Reel

I greatly admire the way an artist and people can see an end result on a 'blank' sculpt of a human face.

Unfortunately, I can't.

If it weren't for those photoshopped pics, I would not see the resemblence.

With the PS pics ............ :eek

Congrats Vash, exceedingly beautiful work :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks Reel, can't wait to see this all geared up.

Alan - I'm with you there bud, I'm never fully convinced until I get to the detailing stage.
Thats when I make the final refinements and then I'm finally sold.
This is especially true with actors/ characters that are known for their hair and trying to picture them bald is a challenge.
Plus we rarely if ever see people without eyebrows, and it looks strange seeing the sculpt that way.
My wife is an artist and she's no help since she 'sees' the resemblance from the earliest stage that I don't see.

That's one of the main reasons I post here to get critiques and suggestions so I cam get honest feedback.

Then double kudos to you Vash :thumbsup

That means you go purely on instinct, which is even more admirable :cool

Thanks for the compliments:$

I had some time to "flesh out" the sculpt a bit more last night and finally it's starting to look like Depp to me. I'm still working on the ear placement, but I've made the cheeks move with the smile, worked a bit more on the chin, neck, forehead, etc.
Here's a bit of a picture comparison of the progress:
11COMP.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back