The Definitive Willy Wonka Costume Thread

2014-06-29_11-52-26_310.jpgFYI
I make a great cane replica if anyone who finds this thread needs one...I also do all the other pieces, including an acrylic "W" brooch replica, and the vest.

Last edited:
so....this thread is ancient but...today is the 10th anniversary of C and the CF! I have been somewhat working on a budget, did try to find the Redball coat but couldn't find one big enough so found a women's winter coat at Goodwill and had my mom help modifying it! My little girl is having a Wonka birthday next month and this was a costume I was eying so it was excuse to do it...here's where I am so far. The band on the hat has since been shortened to make the hat look taller, the coat has had some more work done...my wife doesn't want me to shave because she hates it but I'm going this far I plan on committing to it...makeup and all :p

SithsPadawan, what wig did you use? I am okay I guess with the Venetian man one I got but it doesn't look exactly like the stock photo like I had hoped.
wonka2.jpgwonka3.jpgwonka5.jpgwonkahat.jpg
wonka1.jpg

Last edited:
Great job, PropDad! Here are some pics of mine, although I haven't finished putting the jacket's edge trim on yet...

20150904_161315.jpg20150904_121803.jpg

The hat was indeed the Brown Squire Shannon Phillips top hat which may be found on eBay. The cane was custom made by me. The wig was purchased on ebay and then cut/styled accordingly. Here is the wig I used... fingers crossed that this link works for everyone... http://tinyurl.com/hvtroab

tumblr_o29e640IEj1tekiafo1_500.jpg tumblr_o0r3iwnRui1tekiafo1_1280.jpg

Thank you to Depp for the amazing cane and brooch :) This is my completed Wonka costume!
Hat handmade with foam, silk, material and puffy fabric paint, vest handmade, shirt is from a thrift store, coat is Redballs, gloves are made from leather.

Last edited:
OMG!!!! I just saw this!!! You look AMAZING!!!! I am so happy to have been a service to you, you are the funnest!!!
Better post this years concoction!!!! Muah!!!!

Hello All,

I am a newbie here. Found this forum looking for Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka costume. I am very impressed with everyone's costumes and suggestions. I ordered the vest pattern from SpoonFlower in Organic Cotton Sateen Ultra. I am having trouble finding the correct fabric and color for the frock coat. Is Gene Wilders coat actually velvet? Could velveteen be used instead? I am trying to replicate as close as I can to the movie costume. Any suggestions on the coat fabric, inside liner and coat trim.

Hey friends,

Don’t mean to revive such an old thread, but I finally found a maker for the Gene Wilder version, and I need good reference photos to make adjustments to ensure more accuracy.

Does anyone have a link to some display photos?

Best,

-Clay

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back