Things that movies make seem common that really aren't

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Watching a movie today I realized that movies make it seem like every area of wilderness has a cave every few hundred feet or so. Whether it's desert, jungle, etc., there's always a cave. Now, I know there's plenty of REAL caves out there, but I personally have never been in one or seen one. I've done lots of hiking and camping - never came across a cave. So they're not THAT common.

Can you guys think of other similar things?

Last edited:
A generic brand O/S for all computers that look exactly the same, for laptops, desktops and even cell phones.

I like how no one who sits down waits more than three seconds for the phone to ring and get information to advance the scene. I loved that about LOUIE, where they burn four minutes of him just singing the whole of "Who Are You?" in the car on the "Country Drive" episode. We're trained by TV convention that something is going to happen... his kid will get sick, a fender bender, or something.

Nope; they paid for the song, so they're going to use it. Glorious.

GUNS!!!!! from watching a more you would thing that people are just getting shot at all the time!
also the hole "I will just shoot this gun inside like 50 times and I can still here fine!" I have shot a lot of guns in my day and I can tell you, one shot in an confined space will make you had of hearing for at least a day or two if not worse. the only two movies that the guns volume seem right is heat and collateral.

how about people just not saying "bye" or anything when they are done talking.

and everyone has a Mustang or a Camero

I thought thats just how american are...Rude. :lol

GUNS!!!!! from watching a more you would thing that people are just getting shot at all the time!
also the hole "I will just shoot this gun inside like 50 times and I can still here fine!" I have shot a lot of guns in my day and I can tell you, one shot in an confined space will make you had of hearing for at least a day or two if not worse. the only two movies that the guns volume seem right is heat and collateral.
thats why they have silencers...only a tiny puff and you can fire a automatic indoor and noone hears it.

Not necessarily true. In the first episode of The Walking Dead, Rick fired a gun inside a tank and it damn near made him deaf because of it. Besides, when it comes to police officers and criminals, in the real world I mean, they don't say, "Oh, hey! Let's take a minute to put in ear plugs before we begin our gunfight."

In the movies and on TV being hit hard enough in the head to be knocked out doesn't cause much more damage than going unconscious, and it only takes one blow.

Someone close to me was mugged last year and took 3 blows to the head with the butt of a gun. Not only did it not knock her out, but she bled profusely, had to get stitches and was in pain for weeks after with headaches.

Every time I see this gimmick used to incapacitate someone I think 'cheap plot device'.

Also - smart, beautiful, thin people and/or incredibly smarter than everyone else people who just know things and figure things out immediately to the awe (and respect) of those around them.

In reality most people are rather plain, heavy and even the incredibly smart people have to argue and/or fight for respect of their ideas from those who just want the credit.

Quiet, unseen children OR obnoxiously bad behaved children and lots of them and babies that require almost no attention from the parents.

They can't show real kids because child actors can only act for so long each day and are only so good and can only do so much drama - but it still bugs me to have a adult centric sit-coms where the people have kids that are NEVER seen and when they are they are quietly eating breakfast or watching TV. (Everyone loves Raymond makes no sense when it comes to their kids)

I love how in every movie and on TV everyone just walks up to the bar and says gimme a beer......

Also, how is it Chuck Norris can kick a man in the face with cowboy boots and never leaves a mark?.....My theory is it leaves a bruise on the guys soul and not his face...lol

People can get into a fight and just wail on each other all day with bare fists, yet never break a hand. And if you're the hero, a dozen enemies can fire at you with automatic weapons, but never hit you.

thats why they have silencers...only a tiny puff and you can fire a automatic indoor and noone hears it.

Actually, even silenced guns can be pretty loud. It depends on the caliber. Also, a silencer is rarely good for more than a handful of shots before the baffeling is too damaged to be effective.

- Evil Twin
- Amnesia
- Everyone is 20-something, tall, slim and beautiful. Even the 'geeks' are really good-looking but just have glasses and pocket pen guard.
- All women are beautiful and extremely thin unless they are a 'character' part.
- No one ever has to pee.

Local TV stations will break into regular programming with live coverage of things relevant to the plot.

just watch "THE LAST ACTION HERO" Almost ever thing that we have listed is there.. Model looking girls working in a videostore. Cars explodes after a few bullet hits..

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back