Things that movies make seem common that really aren't

How about this one:
People seem to have massive amounts of spare time on their hands. In the course of a week, a character can hang out with their friends every night, watch all of their favorite TV shows, read books, peruse their Masters, get involved in wacky adventures, yet still have time to be 'over worked'.

I don't know about anybody else, but if I'm putting in 70+ hours in one week, I don't have the energy to watch my favorite TV show, let alone all that other stuff. Unless they just don't sleep...

Pooping...no one almost ever goes to the bathroom to ****. They brush their teeths or shower or shave. Females that go to the bathroom are the same, they might say that they are going to the bathroom when they are instead going in there to gossip or stuff.

Only in comedies are they really ****ting,but only for comic relief.

the not-even-remotely attractive guy who is more the stereotypical nerd. The nerd with pants pulled up and taped thick black-rimmed glasses never gets the girl - it's the 'defy convention' nerd that gets the girl (usually a safer version of the Hell's Angels rebel).

Steve Urkel got the girl... TWICE
steve210_368532w.jpg

The simple necessities like mentioned shaving, bowel/urinary movements, eating and taking a break gets to me. I realize if it's not a part of the story being told, don't bother, but every now and then show day-to-day stuff, so I can relate dammit.

Any vehicle that has never been seen refueling. Every car or SUV that seem to be topped off with fuel or awesome mileage for those awesome chase scenes... they're never close to empty.

That stock recorded falling yell that's rehashed ever since the mid 80's.

The nerd always gets the hot girl
Its easy when you dont have him actually act or look like a nerd. Usually hollywood's idea of a nerd is a boyishly attractive guy who is smart and has an offbeat sense of humor. Pretty much someone that would be fairly popular and well liked in real life. Every nerd wishes he were (or deludes himself into thinking he is) this guy.

In the movies and on TV being hit hard enough in the head to be knocked out doesn't cause much more damage than going unconscious, and it only takes one blow.

Someone close to me was mugged last year and took 3 blows to the head with the butt of a gun. Not only did it not knock her out, but she bled profusely, had to get stitches and was in pain for weeks after with headaches.

Every time I see this gimmick used to incapacitate someone I think 'cheap plot device'.

Sucks what happened to your friend(?), but the movies aren't that far off. If it's a direct hit to the front, a clean shot to the jaw will knock someone out. Otherwise, the hit will have to be hard enough for the brain to shake against the skull. The thing with head wounds (especially facial) is that it's incredibly easy to bleed a lot.

Steve Urkel got the girl... TWICE
steve210_368532w.jpg

Personally, I think Steve Urkel fits into the first category. Just like how Nerd Girls on TV can be turned into the Class Beauty Queen just by removing their glasses, changing clothes, getting their hair done, and putting on some make-up, Urkel's "Ultra-Nerd" exterior is only skin-deep. They drove this point home when he turned himself into Stefan (different clothes and a deeper voice and suddenly he's a woman's dream guy).

Parking Spaces!

Anyone who works in a city of any kind, knows that you NEVER find a parking space in front of where you want to go.

It DOES happen, and in the damdest of places, too. We were in Philly back when the MoM tour was going around. It was in DC and we had an afternoon off, so a friend and I drove to DC for the exhibit. A little over a 2.5 drive and we'd never been to DC. Royal PITA to find a parking place, period. We found the Air and Space buidling and upon completing our first circle of the building, found a parking spot right in front of the walkway to the front door. We hauled ass into that spot :)

Things that get me, though, are things like:

-DNA tests take 20-60 minutes to return. In reality, it's weeks or months.
-Facial recognition/fingerprint checks run in realtime on the screen loading everyone's images/prints.
-NO ONE USES A BLEEPING MOUSE!! "Can you ehance that image?" "Sure" ...type type type type. Never a mouse click.
-You can enhance a video tape to show the license plate of a car or face of a person no matter how far away it is. Unless they record their tape/video at 8k resolution - or higher - that ain't happening.
-EVERYONE involved in a highspeed chase always knows just how to drive that way. No one ever spins out on that first turn and gets caught or loses who they wanted to chase.

Just an observation, most of what has been posted are not cliches found IN movies, but things that admittedly DONT happen in the movies... Now I will gladly offer an explanation--

In good storytelling, only things relevent to the plot are put/kept in. If the going to the potty was relevent to the plot, it'd be in there... Such as in the green mile. It's part of the story that he has a UTI. john coffey heals it--part of pushing the story along.

What gets me, is in action movies or horror movies when the heros/teens KNOW there is impending danger, but still think it's ok (and manage to find time) to DO IT.

What gets me, is in action movies or horror movies when the heros/teens KNOW there is impending danger, but still think it's ok (and manage to find time) to DO IT.

This almost killed the show Spartacus for me.

Seriously? You're a supposedly smart warrior who just spent months on the run to get back to your wife, the village has been taken out and there are still enemies in the area, but you're gonna stop, light a fire and have sex right there?!

SERIOUSLY?!

I think the wording may be a bit off and that's what's confusing some - Nerd always gets THE girl - NOT - Nerd always gets A girl. Someone always comes along eventually, buut know this boys (in the words of Chris Rock) no matter what you think - you were NOT her first choice.

Now - lets see...
Knocking someone out.
Finding a good orgy.
i TOTALLY agree with the Longshots one someone said earlier.

I think the wording may be a bit off and that's what's confusing some - Nerd always gets THE girl - NOT - Nerd always gets A girl. Someone always comes along eventually, buut know this boys (in the words of Chris Rock) no matter what you think - you were NOT her first choice.

I stand by my earlier statement... I definitely got THE girl, not A girl. ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back