Things that movies make seem common that really aren't

Being arrested for a murder you didn't commit.

I swear, between the movies and TV shows I grew up with, I thought it was a given that everyone would at some point be found next to a dead body and wind up in jail over it.

People can get into a fight and just wail on each other all day with bare fists, yet never break a hand. And if you're the hero, a dozen enemies can fire at you with automatic weapons, but never hit you.

Unless you're the reluctant, everyman hero. Then you shake your hand, jump around for a bit, go 'Ow!' and forget all about it!

Longshots pay off

"...it might be a longshot but..."

Plans, calculations or operations which all characters agree have a marginal chance for success end up working the first time...often with only seconds to spare. A major exception is BURN NOTICE where the characters often need to move to a back-up plan...which of course works :)

Most women are babes. But in the comics, most women are babes with huge boobs.

Smash an electronic lock and it will open the door. Try that at work and it will lock out everybody.

Everybody's instantly ready to fight off a surprise attack. In real life you're dumb-founded.

No bruising. Even after a huge fist fight or crash. That's changing a bit now.

Calories. Professional athletes eat a huge amount. Yet superheroes barely nibble a bit now and then.

In basic survival situations, everybody still shaves. Beards, legs, armpits, or whole bodies.

Parking Spaces!

Anyone who works in a city of any kind, knows that you NEVER find a parking space in front of where you want to go.

Animals in movies make all kinds of noises, especially predators who feel the need to pause and have a threatening growl, hiss or howl instead of just pouncing the potential victim.

Being arrested for a murder you didn't commit.

I swear, between the movies and TV shows I grew up with, I thought it was a given that everyone would at some point be found next to a dead body and wind up in jail over it.

Well it do happens...but, some of us knows how to dig a hole and keep our mouth shut... :love

People being thrown backwards by bullet impacts.
And by the looks of Law and Order NYC should be empty with all the murders that happened since it came on tv.

Animals in movies make all kinds of noises, especially predators who feel the need to pause and have a threatening growl, hiss or howl instead of just pouncing the potential victim.

Yes. Horses whinny and blow their noses at least 3 times a minute.

Just about anyone can hack into any computer by typing a few strokes and get through all security barriers in a matter of seconds... as if they have magic fingers and such powerful concentration that just touching the keyboard dissolves all passwords.

...And it is possible to remotely hack into any electronic device, even if they're not even on the internet or are even computers. (Terminatrix controlling police cars)

The nerd always gets the hot girl

Actually, this isn't as far-fetched as it seems.

You have to remember, on TV there are usually two Nerds: The "sure he's into Star Trek and practices advanced mathematics, but deep down he's sweet and still on the attractive side" and then there's his friend, the not-even-remotely attractive guy who is more the stereotypical nerd. The nerd with pants pulled up and taped thick black-rimmed glasses never gets the girl - it's the 'defy convention' nerd that gets the girl (usually a safer version of the Hell's Angels rebel).

This is actually holds close to real-life. In most nerd-circles, at least one of the nerds is "adoptable" - they have attractive characteristics (are relatively good looking [even if it's only in an 'average' sort of way], can hold some social graces, etc.).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back