2001 Astronaut helmet

mrpredicta asked the same thing a week or so ago.

I've never seen a replica (unless you consider the props made for the movie "2010" to be "replicas").

- K

<div class='quotetop'>(nick daring @ Sep 1 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]1311252[/snapback]</div>
I would love to see a replica made by Mr. Predicta.

Nick
[/b]

I wonder if MR has thought about this franchise. They would do a great job.

Pics

Helmet2.jpg

bowman-room-02.jpg

bowman-room-flop-05.jpg

bowman-room-flop-03.jpg

bowman-suitback1.jpg

bluesuit-podbay.jpg

sut8_ly0000.jpg

sut2_jp.jpg

lunarsuit01.jpg

lunarsuit00.jpg

whitehelmet.jpg

Thanks for the pictures.

As for MR - sure, they could do the 2001 helmets just as well as they
have done the Star Wars ones. :rolleyes

I would love to tackle this one. Maybe some time soon.
first I have to deliver all of the BSG viper helms ordered :D
The big question with this helm for me would be the conecting ring at the bottom.
I dont have the ability now to do anything along these lines.
I guess I could ask the CNC guys that cut the Tv pieces we do...
Im learning a lot doing the Galatica helms and when Im finished I think I may be able to take this one on.
I have always loved this film and it had a great effect on me growing up.I waited my whole life in anticipation of the great dawning of the year 2001 and what did we get ? 9/11.
It still holds a wonderful place in my heart of man kind at his best . we may never get to see that vision of the future now .its too bad it would have been great.

<div class='quotetop'>(mr.predicta @ Sep 2 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]1311599[/snapback]</div>
I waited my whole life in anticipation of the great dawning of the year 2001 and what did we get ? 9/11.
[/b]

That was my feeling exactly. :unsure

And that's true, the Viper pilot helmets do bear a certain resemblance to the 2001 helms. So do the space suit helmets from "Enterprise".

- k

Thanks for your thoughts about the year 2001. I saw the film innumerable times as a child and, like you, waited in great anticipation for that milestone year. (Actually, I'm old enough to have waited in great anticipation for 1984, too.)

It seems we still have a long way to go before the next great leap in our evolution. :(

mr.predicta, I've been very impressed with your work on the new BSG helmets. I do hope you'll choose to tackle the 2001 lids. :thumbsup

I saw some replicas in a shop in Sausalito (north of the Golden Gate Bridge) about 8 years ago.
Red, yellow and blue iirc.

So someone was making them at one time.

D6

Perhaps these photos of the walking, mechanical Astroman (with sparks.) will serve as a useful reference. :p

Astroman01.jpg

Astroman02.jpg

Astroman03.jpg

Thanks, WackyChimp, for hosting.

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ Sep 2 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]1311765[/snapback]</div>
Perhaps these photos of the walking, mechanical Astroman (with sparks.) will serve as a useful reference.
[/b]

Hmmm.... perhaps not. :lol

Nor will the "Twinch Squad" space suit help at all really.. they got the top-plan shape of the helmet wrong too (way too round).

Interesting thing about the movie 2001... WE may regard it highly, but the young pups who run the studio, do not think much of the film. Back in 2000 I was working for Space.com, and we were trying to find out what sort of anniversary event they had planned for the year 2001... a theatrical re-release of the film at the very least, we figured... but NO.. they had nothing at ALL planned for "that old movie nobody really cares about" . :confused

Ultimately they did have a screening in New York (probably other cities too) - on December 31st. :rolleyes

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(mr.predicta @ Sep 1 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]1311599[/snapback]</div>
I have always loved this film and it had a great effect on me growing up.I waited my whole life in anticipation of the great dawning of the year 2001 and what did we get ? 9/11.
It still holds a wonderful place in my heart of man kind at his best . we may never get to see that vision of the future now .its too bad it would have been great.
[/b]

I couldn't agree more.

I hope you can look at making a 2001 helmet...once the BSG are done of course. :)

we did a replica of the 2001 helmet back in 96... sold alot through mim eventually and q box and a few others...the mold for this isn't in my possession at this time, but it's still my mold..and I should be getting it back shortly...would be cool to rework a casting accurazing it with all the reference now available...that wasn't back then..still it was a cool helmet..
best,
Will

2001.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(Firefoxm31 @ Sep 3 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]1312132[/snapback]</div>
we did a replica of the 2001 helmet back in 96[/b]
Wow. I had thought that no replica of this helmet had ever been commercially available. Thanks for chiming in.

Do you happen to have any more pictures of your WIP and/or a completed buildup?

Any RPF members out there own this replica?

for quite a while MIM had pics of it in their little catalog...at this point i lost my old pics of it...gonna have to get ahold of my Glass guy and get the molds or a casting or two

I thought someone here had made copies.

Needless to say I and it looks like a few others will be watching this thread with great interest.

<div class='quotetop'>(yodasan @ Oct 7 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]1333944[/snapback]</div>
Firefoxm31 - any chance of getting your old mold back?
[/b]

Yeah william whats the deal???? let me know if your going to sell these before I spend half a year scratch building mine ;) you have my number
MSL

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back