Warped Fiberglass

It would take an extreme amount of sunlight to melt cured filberglass (if it were even possible). Where does he live...Hell? I just hope Miker545 gets some compensation.

Someone mentioned in this thread it technically takes 30 days for this stuff to fully chemically cure. Granted, I have not worked with fiberglass resin and the like and don't know all of the specs But it could be possible if it were left in direct sunlight in a car (since he did move recently) or in a window, something like that.

But the heat gun technique works, I'm happy with mine. You just gotta know what you are doing with a helmet kit to finish it as I'm sure you are aware.

Berry

Well I was waiting three months and payed the grand total of 400 bucks for it I payed extra to get it "cut and sanded" Pretty much wene it got to me I was expecting to have maby a little sanding to be done, some priming, painting and then adding the clips and hinges.
Not reforming, filling, dremeling, alot of fine sanding and then priming painting and hinging.
Should have been old enough to be cured and this "THICK casting." Direct quote off his message. Is verry THIN I can see a half dead flash light through the mouth peice.
But I'm not ready to put the final report up on this yet as things are still being descovered and worked out.

Originally posted by Miker545@Aug 29 2005, 05:06 PM
Well I was waiting three months and payed the grand  total of 400 bucks for it I payed extra to get it "cut and sanded" Pretty much wene it got to me I was expecting to have maby a little sanding to be done, some priming, painting and then adding the clips and hinges.

But cutting and sanding is just that... cutting it in half and sanding away some of the major rough spots.

Even then its a kit and you would have to sand and prime depending on your method of construction and painting.

Hope it gets sorted out.

Berry

Well Ive got to speak up about this, Im not going to hide and let people start running wild with this without the facts. I dont check this forum area so I hadnt seen it.

You mentioned in your new thread that it was uterly unwearable... yet in your first email you mentioned how it cutinto your neck, so you put it on, wearable. the ONLY reason you would need to dremel ANYTHING is the neck that you say dug into you, and that is something that has nothing to do with me, the helmet fit me when I put it on, if you have a thicker neck, how was i going to know? I never got customized measurements for you, its not exactly a one size fits all kind of thing, its a helmet replica. And you dont need a heatgun, a hair dryer would work fine, and I wouldnt have known you would have needed even that, it was NOT WARPED when i sent it. I would not have sent an "uterly" warped and unwearable helmet, im not THAT stupid. This helmet was casted months ago, most of the time after that was finishing the sanding and cutting, i dremeled ALOT inside that helmet, you can tell, because it was made too thick in some areas (thicker is better than thinner) and to make it stronger and then dremeled out for wearability and test fitted.

I dont see any warpage in that picture, does anyone else? The mold is not warped and I did cut the two parts. When you cut the front from the back, a few milimeters turn to dust, right? Well if there IS any non-matching, that would be why. Even my personal finished helmet has this. This was a fiberglass/bondo mix and ive been able to heat months old fiberglass and warp it, even a helmet i had sitting on the floor once after a few weeks had gotten a flat side, and it was fully cured. If this mix seems to have problems warping then I now know to change what I use, but ive never got complaints from people before so Ive not been aware of it, been using this mix for over a year. I do still have the mold, but with my luck he would not be happy with a new one either. He also complained about the actual sculpt of the helmet... something he has no right to do after that fact as he saw detailed pictures from every angle as it was being sculpted as he admited, and knew what the helmet would look like.

PS:MightyMorphinPR, i expected you to pop up, youre record isnt spotless either, ive heard of countless of your helmets actually showing up SHATTERED and then you bribing the buyers with more helmets so they dont go public with the problem, so dont try laying your act on me. Not to mention your recasting history...

I was just commenting incase you wanted to know about the actual details and by unwearable I was refering to the fact that it would be an eyesore and would be unwearible.

when i look at that picture dead on, it looks round and it looks just like my finished helmet, i dont see any caving in or flattening anywhere, unless youve got some better pictures or something, i really cant see what youre describing.

Yours
mvc001f1ot.jpg

Mine
dragonmiker.jpg

dragon1.jpg

I really dont see it Mike, Im sorry, it looks perfectly wearable and fine to me.

hmm, as much as i hate you Jason, (lol j/k buddy) your right, it looks perfectly fine to me also. i guess some people do not realize that a kit actually needs work, that is why it is a KIT.

Thankyou, and that is exactly right. Admitedly he did pay an extra 40 for the cutting of the visor, more sanding from a raw casting and extra work i did to the inside for comfort, but it is still a kit and if some things need to be changed to fit him and there are thigns he didnt like about the original sculpt, thats part of finishing the kit.

Plus if you showed him all the pictures... ha can't really complain about the sculpt since he paid for what he saw. So to him... it was obviously not an eyesore to begin with.

Berry

Wow I just make some points incase he ever wants to make his better and I'm blamed for not likeing the helm.
I loved the helm entill I realized how deformed it was the camera is dead I'll have some more picks up later. none the less had i goten this helm compleatly finished from him I dought the end result would have been any better. I would think it would still be deformed porrly sanded and poorly made trust me I know what a kit is and I know this isn't the worst anyone has ever goten but I do know it was a far cry from what I was paying for.
However the funny thing is and i quote "Your helmet will be going out in the mail tomarrow. I havent had the time to prime it, but since youll be painting it anyway, thats nothing hard to do, just primer paint. " Reinforcing again that what I had payed for was a helm cut and sanded ready to be primed and painted.
What I got needs much sanding as well as some reinforsment in many areas as parts of this helm are neerly paper thin especial around the mouth peice.
final coat is pretty much none existant on most of the top visor area and mouth peice I'll be sure to get verry good pics of this soon as the camera is availible.
If it were just one or two things
I wouldn't have even bothered with anything but this helm is overall not good.
I've seen his work it's good Verry good this just wasn't and he didn't take mine telling him that verry well.

you werent just making points for future reference, yours out to publicly complain and make me out to be a con artist. Your helmet was ready to paint when i sent it. Once primed you wouldnt have needed much sanding, stuff looks rough until you at least prime it. The dremeling and sanding you think are needed are only because you said it didnt fit your neck which is out of my control. If there were other problems that were small and needed sanding, thats very simple to do and i offered to do it for you. You turned it down, so i really dont know what you want.

and blamed for not liking the helm? this entire thread is you bashing it, how can you say im just blaming you for not liking it? Please get your views straight on this and get back to me, im tired of running in circles with you after offering you options and trying to make you happy.

Originally posted by Kylash327@Aug 29 2005, 10:20 PM

PS:MightyMorphinPR, i expected you to pop up, youre record isnt spotless either, ive heard of countless of your helmets actually showing up SHATTERED and then you bribing the buyers with more helmets so they dont go public with the problem, so dont try laying your act on me. Not to mention your recasting history...
[snapback]1067809[/snapback]​

um. WRONG there buddy. If I make a mistake, or the post office damages something. I COMPENSATE. I do not tell my customers to shove it like you do. I help them. AND I'm not a recaster. I recasted a helmet when I first started...but NOT to make a profit, I did it to make sure I knew how to mold. That's all. The helmet you're referring to was your White ranger helmet...which by the way I used as a plaster bucket in the end...as that's all it was good for.

I recasted it to fix it. Another mistake you made and another customer you shafted.

And don't act so innocent, I get over 15 pms a week from people complaining about what you send them and they come to us for help because they know we don't leave people in the dark like you do. you just want their money...and after that you don't want to know them.

Not to turn this thread into a fight or anything, I hope Miker gets compensated... A word that's obviosly NOT in your dictionary.

no, you just hope i get publicly humiliated and out of prop making so you have no competition. You're compensation is nothing short of bribes and your innocent recasting is still just that, recasting, whether its to "fix" something as you say or learn, ive seen you sell the front of my white ranger helmet on ebay. And its odd that you get that many pms, as ive NEVER gotten one email or pm complaint, I only hear back from people who like their helmets. And I didnt just shut out Mike, i offered to fix the helmet and he turned it down. I also gave him a pile of extra props for the time he waited, its not as simple as you make it. Youre sure not afraid of fighting when its on rangerboard, do you have something to hide when you post here?

EDIT: Also, i dont believe i ever saw your pictures of sculpting your wildforce or spaceranger helmets. They were clearly recasts that youve made hundreds on. I know others do the same thing for helmets here, but all im saying is dont point your finger at me when youre just as guilty of other proping taboos, Ive had enough of you bashing my work endlessly and even profiting from it.

okay, stepping in here...

This seems to be between Miker545 and Kylash327. Everyone else, stop instigating.

Miker, charge up your camera and post more detailed pictures. Until then, I don't want to see people bickering when they're not even involved. I especially don't want to see unsubstantiated claims that you can't back up with evidence. Personal attacks wont fix any helmet, and should stay out of this thread.

Miker, we'll be waiting for your pictures.

Sorry about it taking so long I seemed to be running into problem after problem latly. But here they are.
Heres the warping.

Then some pics of the inside for you.

Now the fine sanding and the filling/reinforcment I mentioned.

Picture three shows the part that I need to fix up and 5 shows the reenforsing that I mentioned. In the mouths left side there was a hole that he did fill in though still its thiner than the rest of the mouth peice.

I still dont see a single hint of warping, which is what this thread is titled, im sorry man, but its just not warped.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back