Stormtrooper pepakura - TERRA RETURNS! WITH PICS!

Re: Stormtrooper pepakura

Hi y'all,

This is just an incredible thread... SPACECOWBOY, thank you for making the models available--and TERRA1, for the wonderful step-by-step. You make it look easy.

One technical question, will Aves apoxie work the same as Milliput? Apologies if this question has been answered already. Do you need to add scoring to the surface to ensure better adhesion??

Again, what a wonderful build. Love seeing such great work.

thanks for the comments mate! good to hear fellow RPFers are enjoying seeing my progress.

yeah i've heard of the epoxy sculpt stuff, never used it as i'm in the UK, not sure if its available here, not sure if milliput is available in the US either (if thats where you are?)

i think its pretty similar but milliput is quite an industrial product (less art/craft) they do have a version for model making thats a finer structure.

i read epoxy sculpt is a paste like material, milliput is more of a putty, its not great for sculpting until it firms up after an hour or 2, when it sets its indestructible.

its defiantly a product i recommend, id have been lost without it in this build.

Yes, I am actually in the deep south US in Atlanta.

The epoxy... How does it adhere?? Pretty well? Do you have to "scratch" the surface to get a good adhesion for the putty? My experience with some epoxies (and Bondo as well) is that they can chip off if there isn't something for the epoxy to grip onto.

I'll do some tests on my end and check it out. Anyway, great stuff TERRA. Can't wait to see it painted--although, I have to confess that I like the helmet as it currently is.

freshly primed and wet sanded, still a fair number of imperfections to fill and smooth out. comments welcome.

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

REQUESTED TRY ON PHOTO
IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO WEE SACKS, THIS ONES FOR YOU! :eek:)
IMG_5732.jpg

always nice to see an update, one (more) quick question, what is wet sanding... and how you going to do the eye lenses out of curiosity?

good luck, not that you seem to really need any considering the quality of your build.

wet sanding is a process of very lightly sanding a coating of paint to make it very smooth and blemish free, i guess its almost like polishing/wearing the paint coating.

for wet sanding you need "wet and dry sandpaper" its a very smooth fine grit paper and is usually black in colour, i used 1000 grit wet and dry sandpaper.

i squeezed a wet sponge over the stormtrooper lid and also dipped the sandpaper in the water, then you just sand as normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNBDFfHkN8g

i plan on filling in the eyes over the next few days, the eye holes are a good way of holding it.

thanks for the comments :eek:)

Last edited:

haha thanks! i was ment to be circling holes and flaws and got slightly distracted.

hope to get it smoothed out and re-primed tomorrow.

Stormtrooper's Creed
"This is my bucket. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My bucket is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My bucket, without me, is useless. Without my bucket, I am useless. I must wear my bucket true. I will..."

took me a couple of seconds got that modified quote to make sense to me then but i like. i would try to think up one my self but i think i'd just embarrass myself :confused so i wont try

on another topic: i've got my templates/pep printed now finally and started to cut out starting with top of the helmet, once i've got atleast half glued i'll probably post my thread to show my attempt

Last edited:

just a quick update on my build.

now sanded and primed, wet sanding and any clean up tomorrow.

still have a few issues that are annoying me but apart from those i think its coming along.

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

Wow, I need to buy a cheap laptop so I can get back into this, I have a Macbook Pro and I just can't get my head around how to convert the files for use with Mac etc :(
Great work fella, I am so impressed :)

thanks for the kind words :eek:)

just wet sanded it down again, feeling super sleek! (the lid, not me!) i X marked the spots that need attention, think there are around 80 :eek:(

just added some spot filler and left it out to dry, hopefully il give it another little sand 2night and upload some new photos.

you might have to wait a while before you see any paint on it rosskow, next up will be moulding and casting.

i estimate 2-3 weeks before i see my first cast.

That is honestly the nicest Stormtrooper helmet I've seen. I went through this whole topic to see the build process and am absolutely amazed that there are people who can take a paper template and turn it into something like this. I have very little skill in any of these processes, so I have to stick with just seeing what others are able to do. This made my day.

Matty, I am using a mac and am running a virtual PC machine with pepakura. Aside from some printer issues, it's worked fine--so far.

Anyway, look into Bootcamp and VM Fusion for Mac.

i'm a MAC guy too, attempted to run it through winebottler with no luck. i've managed to check out pepakura designer on a little notebook i own but not unfolded any models yet. will hopefully check it out more once i finish this build.

many thanks TheMuffin your kind words made my day :eek:)

It's been great for me. I am hoping to use this to create some larger sculptures--using Zbrush and Lightwave to create meshes.

ANYWAY, I digress. Terra1, this is just some incredible stuff man. I started my own trooper bucket this weekend. Going slowly but coming together. I have this thread bookmarked in case I start to lose my inspiration.

hey Stymie924 yeah i had thought about the possibilities of pepakura modelling for more art/sculpture based work.

the possibilities are endless, and once you push the scale up things could get very interesting.

i just cant get the hang of zbrush so i recently been checking out mudbox again even tho it doesn't have those beautiful zsphere things :eek:)

i'm glad you and others have found my build inspiring, no greater compliment could be paid :eek:)

hopefully il have another quick upload later 2night.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back