Stormtrooper pepakura - TERRA RETURNS! WITH PICS!

Re: Stormtrooper pepakura

terra1, it's looking sweet!!! Do you mind if I post a link to this thread on my ANH Pepakura blog page?

Alanthia, what's the link to your Stormtrooper helmet tutorial? I'd be interested in checking it out.

One more quick observation: your helmet has the back side of the dome connecting smoothly/flush with the back of the head. On the screen helmet, the back side of the head extends out farther than the dome a bit, sort of a ridge. It is flush where the ears are, but the ridge tapers out as you get to the back. The ridge has soft, smooth edges, not sharp. Also, the back of the screen accurate helmet has a slight curve to it. Check out this line drawing (on a one inch grid) and maybe it will give you an idea. Hope this helps (fyi the grid is one inch by one inch)!
anh-trooper-9b-spacecowboy.gif

terra1, it's looking sweet!!! Do you mind if I post a link to this thread on my ANH Pepakura blog page?

Alanthia, what's the link to your Stormtrooper helmet tutorial? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Hi SpaceCowboy, glad to meet you!! This is the sweetest PEP file I've seen of a trooper lid so far. I am not sure how to post a link but here goes! lol! I hope this works!

http://www.therpf.com/f24/tutorial-...met-less-than-10-gbp-finished-see-pg9-120552/

I'm also IMMENSELY glad that I accorded the credit to your superb scale drawings that I used. Obviously I didn't know you were a member on here or I would have PM'd you before starting. I found the drawing on the internet and ......drooled a lot! lol!

Looking great so far mate! and ATLANTHIA i was following your thread and ong you jammy *******, some good skill there! good job lad! to all you!!! hopefully when i start mine it wont go bad, will be my first pep build!

Alanthia, thanks for the compliments on the drawing; it's been a work in progress. I labored on a composite ANH helmet on and off for years... always tweaking it here and there, little by little (this goes back 15 years). I worked from pictures only, and never in those days had I seen a real screen-used cast (troopers were all FX armor back then). Then when someone gave me rough measurements for a screen helmet I discovered my helmet was only 85% scale! Ugh! So I decided I needed some scale drawings before I attempted to do it again!

Love what you're doing with your cardboard/mache bucket, very impressive!

I just signed up on this site yesterday. I googled ANH Pepakura and found this thread. There's a lot of synergy and talent here, and I think the more we pool our intellectual resources it'll make it a lot easier for everyone to create great props faster and easier!

ATLANTHIA
thanks mate :eek:) yeah i had a similar if not the exact same plan for the indents, think they will be done near completion as my little fake dremel as at a friends.

SpaceCowboy
yeah feel free to post a link up mate :eek:)

DAY NINE
spent the day waiting for epoxy putty to set lol, then the Bondo (in fact this time its not Bondo/P38, its a slightly cheaper version by the same manufacturer UPOL, i prefer it over Bondo/P38 as it seems to be a bit wetter and seems to give an extra 5 mins working time, its called UPOL Quick Sand.)

managed to get the lip/bulge added to the sides and rear, and just put on a base form for the ears.

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

IMG_5386.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

the terracotta putty it Milliput Epoxy Putty, same as the Olive stuff i used a few days earlier, takes around 3 hours to set but its been really helpful/lifesaver!

Looking great!!!

I posted a couple references to aid you in sculpting the ears.
The ear "arms/wings" (whatever you call them) taper in two ways. If you look at the ear "arm" from the front-view of the helmet, it tapers from thinner at the bottom, fatter in the middle, and a slight taper back to where it meets the ear piece on top.
When you look at the ear from the side-view of the helmet there is a taper too. It's wider at the base of the "arm" (where it's flush with the helmet) and narrow at the top/outside... the sides angle in to the flattish surface running along the top/outside of the arms. It's a pretty "organic" looking shape; look at the middle panel of the first photo below and you can clearly see the letter S outlining the whole left side of the ear. The whole ear "arm" flares out at the bottom, where it's much wider than the rest of the arm.
Also, the ear arm doesn't usually extend all the way to the bottom rim of the helmet, as there is a rubber lining along the rim there - but every helmet is a little different. Hope this helps, and looking forward to see more!
ears.jpg

ears2.jpg

Your bucket is coming along very nice. The key to a good pep build is to start with a good base and you have done well with space cowboys's model. Its refreshing to see more excellent star wars pep builds. I have plans to start a new stormtrooper helmet that's more accurate than my first. So, I have been working on a helmet that is a cross between dung0beetles version 2 helmet and space cowboys model. Hope no one minds my modifications to the model.
5999768406_60537b0d2d_z.jpg

DAY TEN relatives visiting :eek:)

DAY ELEVEN
thanks SpaceCowboy & Fierfek, i've already pretty much nailed the ears i think, i plan on encreasing the diameter or the circle that sit on the ear, should be a smaller lip.

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

next up is the 7 tooth nose vent and shaping the eyes more accurately, i'm also going to work on the lid again as i'm not happy with the curve on the back.

all in all i'm really pleased with how its coming along.

Last edited:

hey mate, thanks :eek:)

been having a troubled few days with it, currently lowering the brow a few millimetres, and adding a lip to the front of the lid, hopefully this will rase the forehead a bit more.

what a pain the nose is! attempted twice already and failed hahaa.

photo update 2mro night.

hey mate, thanks :eek:)

been having a troubled few days with it, currently lowering the brow a few millimetres, and adding a lip to the front of the lid, hopefully this will rase the forehead a bit more.

what a pain the nose is! attempted twice already and failed hahaa.

photo update 2mro night.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

A man after my own heart!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts as a little boredom filling project, and then, as it starts to take shape, and you start to see that it actually LOOKS like the REAL thing, you start to obsess and critically analyse EVERYTHING! From EVERY angle.

It starts as a hobby and becomes a baby! :unsure

You take all the time you need....We will MORE than happily wait for you to get it the way you want it:)
Darren

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

A man after my own heart!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts as a little boredom filling project, and then, as it starts to take shape, and you start to see that it actually LOOKS like the REAL thing, you start to obsess and critically analyse EVERYTHING! From EVERY angle.

It starts as a hobby and becomes a baby! :unsure

You take all the time you need....We will MORE than happily wait for you to get it the way you want it:)
Darren

hahaaaaaa thats exactly how it is! the beauty of creation :cheers

as i refine a specific area to "how it should be" it makes all the other areas look flawed, i figure il keep circling it refining with each pass :lol

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5589.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

lowered the tip of the nose a little, lowered brow (will sand up a little tho), added the lip on the brow.

Last edited:

great build i hope my biker scout turns out that good

ahhh Lando, i was actually viewing a new thread yesterday i think was yours.

i've not figured out if a storm trooper or a scout trooper would be easier as this is my first build, i plan on doing a scout next, il be keeping an eye on your progress :cheers

This is a great build.

terra1
you should start with Boba Fett, the pep file that i have is complicated and I plan on doing the faceshield separate so it works on a hinge, goodluck and post pictures,

I think you'll find with pepakura that there is always some trickiness with any model. I'm doing the Boba Fett helmet right now and even though I haven't gotten to the hard parts yet, I can tell there is going to be some fun folds in the future. The big thing is to just be patient and keep your eye on the prize.

That Stormtrooper lid is looking great by the way. All of the detail you are adding is amazing!

looking great mate, if mine conmes out anywhere near as good i'll be happy.

i've decided not to go the "super screen accurate route" and go "fairly accurate but a bit more deatailed route"!

that milliput looks like a lifesaver too, think i'll have to invest :)

good to see someone that's handy with a dslr too :)

looking great mate, if mine conmes out anywhere near as good i'll be happy.

i've decided not to go the "super screen accurate route" and go "fairly accurate but a bit more deatailed route"!

that milliput looks like a lifesaver too, think i'll have to invest :)

good to see someone that's handy with a dslr too :)

thanks mate! yeah i'd not planned to go screen accurate either, just build my own version of the design, i found that as i've gone along i leaned towards wanting to get more screen accurate, id say it validity sits somewhere in the middle :lol

yeah i highly advise the milliput it really works well, gradually hardens over a 3-4 hour period so its handy as applying as putty or after an hour or two as a firm yet still bendable putty, this is the terracotta version suggested for plant pots and brick work but i think all the versions are pretty much all the same.

yeah i had noticed the nice bokah on your wheelie bin photo :lol i'm still getting used to a full frame sensor on the canon 5d2, previously panasonic mirco 4/3rds.

Last edited:

DISASTER STRIKES! never sand your model sitting on the top step of a flight of stairs! it hurts seeing it bounce off every step on its way down.

cracked dome, cracked side.

managed to fix it pretty easy with a fresh skim of Bondo on the lid and a layer over the crack on the inside.

PHOTO UPDATE LATER TODAY!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back