Building the Randy Cooper Blockade Runner

jvasilatos

Sr Member
Hi all...

I am in the process of priming my blockade runner with dark Krylon machine grey to better bring out some highlights, especially in the engine area. Is there a consensus though on the best surface color, between a flat white or some other mix of colors?

JV

<div class='quotetop'>(jvasilatos @ Aug 30 2006, 04:06 AM) [snapback]1309735[/snapback]</div>
Hi all...

I am in the process of priming my blockade runner with dark Krylon machine grey to better bring out some highlights, especially in the engine area. Is there a consensus though on the best surface color, between a flat white or some other mix of colors?

JV
[/b]
Kewl Jerry.

I have been waiting for someone to display the build and/or paint of this bird.

I haven't painted mine but what I'm planning is a dark gray primer covered by a semi-gloss/ satin white. followed by a red color I have from floquil for cabooses, then a lightly applied dark gray wash, followed by pastels to dirty it up a bit - especially around the engines.

there are a couple of build ups of this kit on display over at the starshipmodeler website in the star wars section... some nice viewing ;)

Jedi Dade

Well there are two ways to paint her i guess,, you could go with the ANH form, which is more white/red, then there is the ROTJ refit, which kinda goes more grey/orange and more intricately weathered, it also had some minor mods too like window apertures in the spine of the hull. Vincenzo Giordano did a great build and paint up on his scratch which is based on the ROTJ variant. Personally now, im gonna go for the ANH colors and make the job as studio as i can, maybe use a grey primer and a flat white, then take too it with steel wool to form a patchy effect, then a hell of a lot of masking methods and airbrush effects. Maybe itll give it some scale.

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Aug 30 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1309941[/snapback]</div>
Well there are two ways to paint her i guess,, you could go with the ANH form, which is more white/red, then there is the ROTJ refit, which kinda goes more grey/orange and more intricately weathered, it also had some minor mods too like window apertures in the spine of the hull. Vincenzo Giordano did a great build and paint up on his scratch which is based on the ROTJ variant. Personally now, im gonna go for the ANH colors and make the job as studio as i can, maybe use a grey primer and a flat white, then take too it with steel wool to form a patchy effect, then a hell of a lot of masking methods and airbrush effects. Maybe itll give it some scale.
[/b]

Yeah I am going for the ANH look so I will do mine in white without the extra dirtying of the ROTJ one. I appreciate the look of weathering, but whoever weathered the runner for ROTJ went a little too nuts with it to the point I feel they really ruined the aesthetic of it with so much filth covering t.

But on the point of doing it semi-gloss white... why semi-gloss/satin when the models all look flat? It doesn't look gloss in photos?

Thanks for the tips... I also think a more maroon colored "caboose" red would look better as opposed to the bright or orange red...

JV

Man im gettin the bug to start mine now :p . Well id still say flat white and steel wool lightly, thats what ill go for anyways. One thing o do want is an armature inside for a couple or three mounting points to play with, oh and light those engines. Wonder if can knock up some mini Playboy and Star Wars posters lol

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Aug 31 2006, 07:33 AM) [snapback]1310430[/snapback]</div>
Man im gettin the bug to start mine now :p . Well id still say flat white and steel wool lightly, thats what ill go for anyways. One thing o do want is an armature inside for a couple or three mounting points to play with, oh and light those engines. Wonder if can knock up some mini Playboy and Star Wars posters lol
[/b]

My engines are all wired and awaiting whatever LEDs I add, I am goint to mount it underneath the rader tower because the kit will have the best center of balance there. I will either get a rebel logo base from Starship Modeler or I was thinking it would be great to get some kind of a solid sliced dome to paint as Tatooine underneath it aith a pole supporting it under the radar tower.

I am also going to run one LED to the bridge so that there is some light coming from inside the window.

Adding the SW and centerfold would be funny, but at this scale who could recognize what they are that small?

JV

Very true JV they would be super tiny lol. As for a base, id go for a nice mirror black base topped off with a nice acrylic cover, it would really studio like that, the way i want to mount mine is a rod going into the side docking port like on the SS prop, but hey thats just my opinion. Cant wait to see your work JV, your builds so far are stunning and you really do go the extra mile. :)

Hey JV. I just got my RBR and was thinking of useing the color "grime" color, the same as on the Falcon, with some kind of red or maroon paint, hell, I might just as well go with the Ep 3 Consular ship color of blue?.

After some testing, I did this so far with nice results.

After a coat of Krylon dark primer grey, I then sprayed it with Testor's Camouflage Grey, and then topcoated it with Testor's Flat White.

Interesting thing after some tests is that flat white on the primer grey looked too bright, but it looks great on top of the camouflage grey. Camouflage grey on it's own looked too warm. Somehow, the combination of the two gave me a good middle ground.

JV

<div class='quotetop'>(jvasilatos @ Sep 6 2006, 01:22 AM) [snapback]1313902[/snapback]</div>
After some testing, I did this so far with nice results.

After a coat of Krylon dark primer grey, I then sprayed it with Testor's Camouflage Grey, and then topcoated it with Testor's Flat White.

Interesting thing after some tests is that flat white on the primer grey looked too bright, but it looks great on top of the camouflage grey. Camouflage grey on it's own looked too warm. Somehow, the combination of the two gave me a good middle ground.

JV
[/b]

WE WANT PICS... Show us....

:p

Hey JV, I started a thread over at the starship builders forum on my Cooper RBR, instead of doing it here because you already had one started, i hope you dont mind.

Nice repair work Apophis. Still there is no excuse for send out a kit like that....seeing how much it cost.

Thanks, JPO5. I can agree, but alot of garage kits are and have been worse.
I will post more repair pics some time tomarrow, so stay tuned.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back