ANH Tusken Raider Completed

Idaho Jones

Tonight I took a brave new step, into a greater world of Star Wars costuming. Ever since I got a copy of From SWtoIJ last year I kept coming back to that Tusken mask. So I decided to jump in.. I started researching and found my way to the Krayt Clan and found a great kit by Dialswiftjustice. So I got the full helmet kit, mask, leather, wraps and resin pieces. I plan on following TK-409 plans for the robes. Working in construction is great because I found a couple of scrap pieces of copper tubing on a job site this week that will work great for the respirator tubes. I asked first because copper is expensive and the guy let me take them, yea, free is always good..

I started by trimming the hard hat lid and laid out the eyes and mouth holes and sanding them out with my dremel
db4b5d8d.jpg

Then I started laying out the mask on the helmet. I got nervous wondering if the helmet was going to sit to high so I stopped. I want to trim the forehead to blend into the helmet curve, keeping the eyes level with mine. If it trim the mask back to sit flush with the helmet will I have too large of a nugget? Or do I need to ditch the suspension system for, a foam and a chin strap mounting, to get the helmet lower on my head? I measured about 10.5" from crown to the bottom of the snout.
ddec0b5e.jpg

I started cleaning up and trimming out the eye stalks with a little spot putty
f73876b5.jpg

2d612d84.jpg

Last edited:
Re: ANH Tusken Raider

No love for the tusken... I thought there were still some Star Wars fans around here complaining about all the Iron man peps

Anyways I sprayed the mask with some tan paint I had and worked on the muzzle. I'm still not satisfied with the hard hat, will have to look for a BB helmet instead
IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

Looking good so far. One of the days I plan on doing ANH Luke, after I'm done with Han...

Well this weekend I was able to finish the resin pieces with silver Rub and Buff
And started laying out the leather stapping on the snout. So the leather is just temporarly clamped into place and as you can see i still need to dye the wraps.

I also picked up a baseball helmet to use for the dome. The padding is in good shape, any advice for cleaning out the bucket before I use it?

(Sorry for the crappy ipod touch photo, but its quick and easy)

IMG_1815-1.jpg

We'll here's a little update, the project hit a stall as my mother-in-law fell breaking both of her arms, She's a widow so we've been helping her out a lot lately. She's ended up with plates in both arms, She broke her wrist and her elbow on the other arm. She's recovered enough now, I had some time to dust off the head.

I still need to tea Dye the head wrappings and I'm not sure of the best method of attaching the eyes and nose, glue or screws I'm worried about breaking the resin piece with a screw.

How do the leather wraps look?
81320112.jpg

8132011.jpg

Made some better progress last night. and I dug out the good camera.
Weathering will happen after the helmet is wrapped
PICT0042.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

Re: ANH Tusken Raider WIP

Lookin good.

I like the use of the baseball helmet to mount the mask too. That must make it a lot more comfortable.

This is coming along quite well! Can't wait to see more. The placement looks pretty good from what I see. The head spikes seem to be off in the movies as well.

I just couldn't get the hard hat to look right the BB helmet just works better and it was a great thrift store find. I almost scored some rubber boots today but they were to small..

Lookin good.

I like the use of the baseball helmet to mount the mask too. That must make it a lot more comfortable.

Well I got the robe put together last night using the TK-409 pattern. Ill share some photos when I get it weathered. Now that I have that done im going to start tea dying the head wraps and sash. and Ill be able to use the tea for weathering the robe.

Ok how do the wraps look? ANH vibe? Further weathering to be done. More importantly am I on track for a 501st approved bucket?
PICT0066.jpg

PICT0065.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back