Found prop piece!! (Joe Versus The Volcano)

Re: Found prop piece!!

Did you ever get permission? Or can we have his contact info? I'm trying to recreate this lamp for my BF for his bday 2/14, so any help is much appreciated.

Lamp Shade Zazzle 3.jpg

http://www.zazzle.com/diy_design_your_own_with_photo_and_or_text_d02_lamp_shade-256520145044808830

This is resized for the Zazzle website. Make sure and change background to dark blue to avoid a white stripe at the edge of the shade.

Last edited:
Many thanks to all of you here!!! You were a huge help to me as I was able to reproduce my own Joe vs the Volcano lamp for my boyfriend, who always wanted one! I gave it to him for Valentines Day, and needless to say, he was thrilled!
I started by finding a lamp at my local thrift store...it was a golfer but I just chopped him off at the ankles! I found the hula girl on Ebay. I was worried about painting the lampshade, but it took the acrylic paint beautifully! I found my lampshade to be a bit wider than the original, but that just gave me the opportunity to personalize the back side of it with memories and scenes from our personal trips to Hawaii (I omitted Meg Ryan sitting on the rock). I modeled air dry clay around the lamp base to form a volcano for the hula girl to stand on (I could never really see the lamp base clearly, so again, I just personalized it). On the back I scratched in the words, "AWAY FROM THE THINGS OF MAN".
Hope you all enjoy my version of THE LAMP. 20160214_130858.jpgOK, Now I am just annoyed that I can't make any of my photos upload correctly. Does anyone know how I can fix this???20160214_125945.jpg20160214_130103.jpg20160214_130430.jpg20160214_151143.jpg20160214_130009.jpg20160214_130143.jpgOh well, sorry about the photo orientation...I have no idea how to fix it...but there is my creation!

Attachments

• 20160214_130933.jpg
    20160214_130933.jpg
    819.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 20160207_155142.jpg
    20160207_155142.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 328
I registered here just for this thread. Joe vs Volcano is in my top favorite movies of all time. Plus I'm a Tom Hanks fan..mostly his older work. This thread has inspired me to create my own hula girl lamp. A massive thanks to Jintosh for taking the time to recreate the shade art. I downloaded it and uploaded the art to zazzle and have just finished ordering the shade (w/dark blue background).

I'm an artist myself and will try my hand at sculpting the base, and perhaps even the hula girl. We shall see :)

Thank again and I'll update with progress and photos. In the meantime, check out this wonderful piece of art I have in my office ! -Dave

DSC06918.jpg

DSC06918.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I registered here just for this thread. Joe vs Volcano is in my top favorite movies of all time. Plus I'm a Tom Hanks fan..mostly his older work. This thread has inspired me to create my own hula girl lamp. A massive thanks to Jintosh for taking the time to recreate the shade art. I downloaded it and uploaded the art to zazzle and have just finished ordering the shade (w/dark blue background).

I'm an artist myself and will try my hand at sculpting the base, and perhaps even the hula girl. We shall see :)

Thank again and I'll update with progress and photos. In the meantime, check out this wonderful piece of art I have in my office ! -Dave

View attachment 612651

Look forward to your build...

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the Fringe material.

Yup! I have that on order. I'm using a raffia table skirt for the fringe. I plan on cutting it to size as the make shift fringe. I also purchased hemp rope for the top liner of the shade. Hopefully there's not too much difference in the color. Hitting up goodwill again today to look for a proper lamp base.

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 8.57.42 AM.png

Alright, just got the fringe material and top shade liner in. Again, all of this is makeshift, so I have no idea how well this repro will come out. Surprisingly, the grass table skirt looks like it will work out great for the fringe at the base of the shade. I cut about 18" off the liner, then eyeballed and cut approx. 1.5" of material for the fringe. The hemp rope for the top of the shade is slightly darker in color, but I think it will be fine and not too noticeable. It's a bit thick, so we'll just have to wait and see how everything looks after I glue the pieces on. If the fringe ends up being a success, I'd be happy to point out the item information where I purchased it from. *Also, should I decide to make more of these lamps, I have enough fringe and liner material left over for at least 2-3 more lamps.
2016-04-19 13.13.57.jpg2016-04-19 13.17.59.jpg2016-04-19 13.19.47.jpg2016-04-19 13.20.13.jpg

Last edited:
Thrilled to find this thread, after years of quoting this movie in my head everyday.

A few years back my wife endeavored to track down and purchase the lamp from the film (yes I know, she's wonderful). She apparently traded emails with someone from the original production team, but it seems the lamp had disappeared. The theory was that Tom Hanks may have it - which I think is just fine and makes me happy when I think about it.

I'm going to endeavor to use the assets and links from this thread to make my own, many thanks to those that spent their time and goodwill to put all this all together!

I enjoyed making the picture, and I'm glad people get to make their own personal lamp. Each lamp is unique. :D

Been awhile since I posted anything. This project has taken a bit of a backseat to life. My original lampshade got a bit wrinkled, so I had a new one printed up at Office Depot on glossy poster paper. Need to mount it to some pressure-sensitive styrene to make it more durable.

Also, if anyone is interested in the dimensions, the original lampshade is roughly 28.28 inches long by 9.7 inches tall (should give you a 9 inch diameter lampshade).

The base of the lamp in the movie appears to be a 5 inch diameter by 3/4 inch tall round wood plaque that you can pick up at Michael's or some other art/craft store. Here are a couple of pics of the base that came with my original lamp (base needs to be refinished badly...). Based on screenshots from the movie, this looks like the right size and shape.

base1.jpg base2.jpg

I think I found an exact match for the finial at the top of the lamp, too. Search around on ebay for "brass pineapple finial antique finish". Looking at screenshots from the movie, it seems to be a perfect match. The top picture is from the movie and the bottom is the finial I just got in the mail. Mine isn't lit from underneath in my picture so it's a bit tough to match to the movie, but I looked very carefully at this finial from all angles and compared it to every frame of the movie that showed if and if it's not a perfect match, then it's so close that I'm satisfied.

finial1.png

finial.jpg

Now, from what I've been able to tell from the movie, the lampshade rotates at about 2 rpm. There are small AC motors on ebay at 2 rpm .

There is also an "inner" lampshade that casts shadows on the outer lampshade with the artwork. The inner lamp shade appears to rotate in the opposite direction as the outer lampshade. This is very similar to how old motion lamps used to work. Should be easy enough to get a transparency, paint some wavy lines on it, and roll it into a smaller shade to go inside.

Then cap it all off with a 9 inch translucent acrylic disc at the top of the lamp to hide the motor. I'd suggest using an LED bulb for less heat than an incandescent.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back