Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Yep, it seems that those run-of-the-mill armored suits (Iron-Man, various stormtroopers, etc...) are no longer exciting for you man; you're going into the stratosphere of building Big:)
Love it, everything about it...and you got the balls to pull it off:cool :cool Question: when you're working at making these, are you listening to music, and if yes, what kind?

Holy crap! I've never seen anything quite this intense! What a read through! How many all together have you completed now? I've been reading on my porch for two hours now, and am convinced I need to start working with glass and molds and build a vac machine. I'd love to turn this thread into a tutorial to build a character from Warmachine in the same way. Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing all your hard work and ideas with everyone! Only part of this thread I didn't care for was the bit about GW contacting you like that. What a way to drive fans away from an already failing franchise...

Question: when you're working at making these, are you listening to music, and if yes, what kind?

I have Pandora playing on the shop sound system. The actual channel changes depending on my mood. Often times it's classic rock or heavy metal, but I'm just as likely to be listening to the LMFAO station or Tom Jones. There's no way of knowing.

Holy crap! I've never seen anything quite this intense! What a read through! How many all together have you completed now? I've been reading on my porch for two hours now, and am convinced I need to start working with glass and molds and build a vac machine. I'd love to turn this thread into a tutorial to build a character from Warmachine in the same way. Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing all your hard work and ideas with everyone! Only part of this thread I didn't care for was the bit about GW contacting you like that. What a way to drive fans away from an already failing franchise...

At this point, I've finished seven complete suits, but at least two of them are nearly destroyed from having been abused, neglected, or improperly stored. So it goes. One of these days I'll re-work them and make them prettier.

For your own build, make sure you check out my detailed instructable walking through this whole process. You can see it here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Lifesize-Space-Marine-Armor-in-352-Terribly-/

That, and there's this book I wrote to explain a bunch of my processes: http://amzn.to/2x3tv8u

I'm about to mold my Wolf Helm of Russ, but if you want to satiate your 40K costume progress appetite for right now, check out my Grey Knight build. You can find it here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=218860

Love your eclectic choice of music...a bit like mine;) I also can go from Tchaikovsky to Tom Jones...variety is the name of the game when making props and repetitive tasks (sanding, filing, etc). Keep it up!!

So a little over a year ago I posted pics of this sculpt in progress:

The other day I decided I was tired of moving the sculpt around in the workshop, so I dusted it off, mounted it to some cardboard, and filled the overhangs with silicone:

Then I went ahead and mounted it upright and built up a drip wall:

And built up the rest of the silicone rubber mold jacket:

Once that had cured, I built a two-part fiberglass mothermold:

Then, after it was all solid, I pried the mothermold off, trimmed up the edges, made a relief cut up the backside of the rubber jacket, and demolded the sculpt:

After a tiny bit of clean-up, I was able to rotocast a good, solid copy of the helmet:

After a quick trim, I couldn't help but try it on and compare it to the sculpt:

Not bad:

But maybe the next one will be better:

Stay tuned...

Finally went ahead and made the canine teeth for these guys:

They look okay so far. Here's one sitting on a display stand I'm working on too:

After a bit of cleanup, here they are in white primer:

So they're almost done...

Looking mighty good:thumbsup

Thanks. I'm liking this helmet so far.

The other day I gave both copies a coat of satin "Heirloom White" from Rustoleum. After that had dried, I sat down and picked out the teeth in gloss white:

I think they look okay at this point:

Next up: weathering, gluing in the eye lenses, and padding. Stay tuned!

Funny those pics; at first I thought the entire skull was white, but when I saw the teeth, I realized that it wasn't at all:eek The last pic is better at showing the white teeth against the "off-white" of the skull. Looks very good:thumbsup

Got most of the weathering done:

That is to say, my shop assistant Rachel got most of the weathering done:

She did a great job:

I'm really happy with it:

Both of them actually:

The display stand still needs a bit more detail work:

I'm also trying to decide if I want to add rivet details like I've got on the eyebrow in this photoshopped pic:

Thoughts?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back