Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor

If the pump is strong enough to crush the forms then it should give you some nice sharp details on the new pulls.

I've upgraded my vacuum pump. The higher vacuum actually started crushing forms. So there you go.
What kind of vac pump are you using that crushes glassed forms? :confused :confused :confused
I know you don't halfass things when you glass them, it's obvious in your pics.

This is, quite possibly, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and I weep for the awesomeness of the build and the fact I will never possess a set. :D

What kind of vac pump are you using that crushes glassed forms?

It was a combination of a new pump and a thin spot in one of the shins.

What was more fun was when it tore through the old pegboard forming surface of the vacforming machine. THAT was a real "F*$^ ME!" moment. Since then I've made a lot of additional improvements to the machine. Someday I may even write a blog article about it.

In the meantime, the other day I started making this thing:

It doesn't make much sense until you see it lined up like so:

I didn't make as much progress as I'd've liked on the side pieces:

The top piece has yet to be built. It'll be a separate part that will cover up the missing gap. Still, the forms I've started seem to look pretty good all clamped together:

I'm even pretty happy with the scale, considering how many wild guesses went into sizing it:

The plan is to rotocast the big vents on either end of the top. The lower vents will be vacformed shells with resin cast louver inserts. Hopefully I'll have a finished copy to show off in about a week.

Stay tuned...

Very nice work... You definitely should do a tutorial on the upgrades on the vac table and pump.

Today I added a bit of a skirt around the bottom edge of the mold for the shoulder forms:

This extra material will make it possible to build up thickness when laying up fiberglass all the way to the edge of the shoulder plate. Then I can just trim off the excess.

I also reinforced the ends of two of the four thigh forms:

The thighs are the last pepakura parts that still need to be converted into forming bucks. Here's a shot showing the inside to give you an idea of how it's done:

Once the thighs were split in half, the next step was to build an MDF border around the bottom edge, glue cardstock over the open ends, then lay up more fiberglass inside to bond it all together. The thinnest parts are the end caps where I've built up at least 2 layers of 1.5oz fiberglass mat.

This should be adequate to resist the pressures from vacforming. Fingers crossed...

When I get the thighs done, I'll have all of the parts except for the waist and the rubber parts for the joints.

Much excitement in the days to come. Stay tuned...

Have you tried on all the parts used to make the bucks to see the overall effect or are you waiting until you get the first vac set ?

If you look back through the thread, there are all sorts of pictures of me and the other guys test-fitting the parts.

In other news, here's the thigh forms all ready to go:

BAM! The first two pairs of thigh pulls:

Tomorrow I'll be putting together another pair of boots. Stay tuned.

Hello teacher, I just wanted to say that its publications and been looking here and there without saying anything, but I must confess that I love all your work, I love your shop full of tools, a dream for me, do excellent work with.

Hola maestro, solo queria decir que e estado mirando sus publicaciones aqui y alla sin decir nada, pero debo confesar que me encanta todo su labor, amo su taller lleno de herramienta, todo un sueño para mi, siga con el exelente trabajo

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Today I put together a full leg:

Here's a good shot for scale:

Now that I'm starting to stack up pieces, these things are taking up a lot of space:

I stuck together another pair of boots, but I have yet to pour in the foam and add the soles.

Stay tuned...

I've been reading this thread for awhile and just had to post and say amazing work. This is going to be one big fella when its all finished. :thumbsup

Last edited:

The finished suit will make a great guard for your workshop, no ones going to mess with him :)

Thanks for the compliments folks, this thing is really coming along.

Last night my friend Matt stopped by, saw the leg parts, and decided to try them on:

As long as he was halfway together, I told him we needed to stack up the rest of the pieces:

I had to stand on a bucket to reach the shoulder.

Here's everything we've got so far roughly taped together:

The finished version will have the chest and shoulders sitting a bit higher, so there will be less of the character's neck (and wearer's face) exposed.

There was also a lot of discussion about whether or not the chainsword was too big. Here's a shot showing it next to the character, but given the cramped quarters we were working in, the perspective still makes it look big:

I'm still pretty happy with it:

I still need to knock out the rest of the forms for the backpack and sculpt out the rubber parts. Then it'll be time to crank out a few suits, paint them up, and go marching around town. Stay tuned...

noooooooooooo super awesomeeee!!!! would be cool to see a video movement test!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back