Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - Finished Suit Pics on p.17

Another great suit and a very subtle bit of letching there ;)

...a very subtle bit of letching there ;)

Subtle? I was looking straight down her cleavage, two people in the crowd called me on it, and she laughed. Nothing subtle about it.

Lol the stilts were obviously a good idea :)

Another fantastic build. Love the detail and you're weathering/aging in the paint work definitely shows the love.

I love you're old school wrist mounted command pad too ;) Nice touch.

Great build, I would love to see all of your suits together.

Great build, I would love to see all of your suits together.

I'm working on doing a photoshoot for the Space Marines, but it'll be a while until I get them all in one place at the same time again. I'm probably going to make one or two more before I manage to put all of that together. In the meantime, here's the best I can do:

That's the full spread in the middle of the Make magazine article. You can see more about the issue at Make 32: Design for Makers

I just spent the past hour looking through this thread. I'm blown away, to say the least. Amazing job you guys did. Congrats on all the recognition, you guys deserve it!

I just read the thread from start to finish. All I can say is: Thankyou.

After a bit of a hiatus from all things 40K, it's time for me to dust off the forms and crank out one or two more of these guys.

I've promised myself that every time I build another one of these, I'm going to make some sort of improvement to the process. When I made "Big Sexy," the veteran sergeant with Terminator Honors, I added the rubber waist section and upgraded the shoulders from vacformed ABS to lightweight fiberglass.

Those were both practical considerations that make the pieces either sturdier or easier to wear. Now that I'm making another one, I've decided to upgrade to a fiberglass chest as well. To that end, I started by dusting off the three forming bucks that made up the chest:

Then I knocked off the MDF strips that were added to give them a bit more height, and stuck them back together into one single piece:

Then I laid a quick layer of fiberglass over the seams:

As soon as the glass cured, I started with Bondo to fair in the seams:

With the coarse work done, I used glazing and spot putty to smooth it even more:

Then, earlier tonight, I sprayed on a coat of primer to see how it looked:

It looks good in the pictures, but it's going to need quite a bit more sanding and filling before I can give it a nice glosscoat. In the end, I'll need a perfect, glass-smooth finish in order to make a fiberglass mold. The pieces that come out of the molds will still have the seams in the same places, but instead of having to figure out how to put the pieces together, I'll just have to sand them smooth and spray on some primer.

It'll all make sense soon.

The other improvement I'm making this time around is one that's long overdue: the hands. I've never been happy with the proportions I ended up with when I rushed the hands in the first iteration of building, so now I'm in the process of sculpting new hands. They'll begin with the same palms that I originally made:

I'm starting with a right hand that will be holding a handle for a chainsword (or knife, or thunder hammer, power axe, or whatever). Here's the very rough sculpt:

I'll be rotocasting the finished pieces around the sections of pipe which will become the handle for whatever melee weapon the Marine will be carrying. The end result will be much stronger than the finger segments I was gluing around the handles of the weapons before.

This next suit should be very exciting for all of you who are especially enamored with big dogs, Vikings, or a place called Fenris...

Stay tuned.

So here's the first custom sculpt for the new suit:

This will be the pommel for a combat knife. It's also working out to be a good maquette sculpt for a larger version I'll have to do soon.

More to come. Stay tuned.

Excellent work, as always! Been a long-time fan of Warhammer 40k (specifically Space Marines), though never considered myself a huge/knowledgeable fan. Guess I knew enough to get the reference to Fenris, prior to the last pic...yeah me! ;) Working on a SM myself, though I've never sculpted, so will probably do a rather generic design. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

This is really impressive. I'v been playing Warhammer 40K for about 12 years now and have always wanted to have a set of armor of my own. your attention to detail is amazing. keep up the good work

Thor, your work is amazing! I never got into 40k in my past but I've read a couple of the omnibuses and love the universe!

But what I would really really REALLY love to see out of your workshop? Terran Marine from starcraft.... *shudders with excitement*

*attempts Jedi mind trick*

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back