MPT/ERTL Millenium Falcon (ROTJ)

TazVader

Sr Member
G'day,

I just got this kit from a nice fella here on the RPF. I am not stupid so I can put it together but I am lacking in the painting/weathering Dept'

Could some of you nice folk share with me how to make this piece special? This will be my first model as a big boy so I want to do a good job. Pics or tutorials would be even better LOL

Thanks you in advance :)

Regards
TAZ

Oh my dear god is this a loaded question or what... The short answer is that there are a few quick things you can do it make it look better, but to make it really look correct is a TON of work.

The most obvious fix is to correct the height of the side panels on that kit by lowering them to about 15mm Of cource once you do that you need to redo all of the side panels. There are a couple of "accurizing" kits out there that will build it up to a decent model but they really aren't all that "accurate".

For a real "what it takes" check out this artical on starship modeler...
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/jm_mf.htm

Jedi Dade

Ahhhh....Isee what you mean about loaded question my friend:) I think I stepped of a cliff when I entered this larger world of building models LOL

Thanks again:)

Regards
TAZ

I recently have been trying to make time to build mine that I bought nearly 10 years ago. I got www.falconkits.com side panel detail kit along with the cockpit. It's not bad and the final painted result will look MUCH better than the original side panels.

I've seen some really good MPC kits, so I think there's hope for mine :thumbsup

Steve

I may be off base here, but I think he was asking for help in the paintjob. Hell, I would like to see tutes on weathering/battle damage as well. As far as making the kit accurate goes...well, it's an ERTL. ;)

Yeah...like he said LOL I was just after some weathering painting help for this piece. Now I feel all discouraged now LOL Seriously though...do they still make the conversion kits for this ERTL kit then?

Regards
TAZ

PS Thanks for all the help so far folk:)

sorry I misread your intent. There is an accurizing kit avialable through starshipmodeler that is OK but its not really accurate - much better then the stock kit though...

as for paint I've seen may well done paint jobs using a variety of light gray/offwhite colors. The ESB model was painted a Floquil color called grime. its a creamy/yellowy off white color that looks pretty close but IMO a bit too dark for the ERTL sized model. a 50/50 mix of grime and flat white would probably be better. Here's a link

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flof110086.htm

it doesn't have a picture but I bought from this link and its the right stuff.

You'll also need a very light gray, and light yellow along with a medium falt red. or you could mix them up yourself.

There is also a great decal sheet made by jbot I beleive that works for this model.

I also like to use crushed pastels for weathering if you're going ot really get into it ;)

If you really want to read up try this thread http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=105392&hl=

Its a build of the FMMF but they are approximately the same size so the colors shold be nearly identical

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back