Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien Sculpting finished page 45

811.JPG
814.JPG

812.JPG

813.JPG

815.JPG

I've tried to include the most recognisable features from both the Giger version & the Rambaldi version, I'm very happy with it but then I've been staring at it for the last few days.
It'll be a challenge to make a cast from this I expect! I've got to figure out the best type of mould to make & I'm thinking I may have to inject the mould for a clean cast.

I hope you like it :)

Last edited:

Good god that's beautiful. Vacuum would be your friend with that I expect! Looks like a real job of work to pull cleanly.

But...just...my god, man. Wonderful work.

Leigh, that looks amaze balls!
Yes, that is going to be a challenging cast to get bubble free.

Either vacuum, pressure or rotocasting is the way to go. If you can rotocast with a water consistency resin that isn't too quick on setting you would get it into all the details. Ebalta make a 15 min resin called SG2000L that would work. Of course that also means making a rotocaster. Your mould would need to be carefully designed in a few pieces.

Good luck, it does look fantastic and taking your time with the mould and choosing the right process will yield great castings. :thumbsup

Good god that's beautiful. Vacuum would be your friend with that I expect! Looks like a real job of work to pull cleanly.

But...just...my god, man. Wonderful work.

Thank you mate :)

Leigh, that looks amaze balls!
Yes, that is going to be a challenging cast to get bubble free.

Either vacuum, pressure or rotocasting is the way to go. If you can rotocast with a water consistency resin that isn't too quick on setting you would get it into all the details. Ebalta make a 15 min resin called SG2000L that would work. Of course that also means making a rotocaster. Your mould would need to be carefully designed in a few pieces.

Good luck, it does look fantastic and taking your time with the mould and choosing the right process will yield great castings. :thumbsup

Thanks Mark :)
I've been using the SG2000 since the beginning on your recommendation & I have a rotocaster :)
This part is a effectively a prosthetic that fits over the original jaw & head castings. Its been sculpted onto a set of casts that have been bonded together just for this part.
The intention is to cast this in water clear rubber, the casting issues I'm likely to have are just because its going to be thin in places.
I'm thinking I'll need to make a hard outer mould (the inner mould will be the part this is sculpted onto), drill lots of carefully placed small holes for air to escape & inject the rubber in there using a syringe (I'm thinking a cooking syringe should do the job). That's the only way I can think of to do this successfully without expensive equipment.
The other issue I have is what rubber to use....
I could use Latex, it would be stiff enough to support its shape, it would stretch enough for the jaw to open, it would be easy to paint & bond to the castings but it will degrade over time.
I could use Silicone, again it'll support the shape, stretch no problem & it wont degrade but it'll be difficult to bond & paint.

Lastly I could use urethane rubber, it'll support its shape well enough, it'll be easy to paint & bond, it wont degrade but its not as elastic as the others & in water clear there aren't as many options when it comes to hardness.

So there's my dilemma
What do you think? :)

Dear Leigh,everything is good and beautiful. Proceed, because no one has done and can do better than that! It looks really pissed off!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Re: Bob the Alien Sculpting finished pages 45 & 69

Love this work so much! And the Giger/Rambaldi design always wins for me :)

Sorry, Stan Winston! The Queen was excellent though :D

Thanks for the kind words guy's :) & sorry for the lack of updates :$
Got lots of things going on at the moment that cant be put off :( I'll be back on Bob ASAP :)

[url]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien%20stuff/811_zps1e3bbc29.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien%20stuff/814_zpsdf4fb731.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien%20stuff/812_zpsf9bc9092.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien%20stuff/813_zpsca39f73a.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien%20stuff/815_zps75beb489.jpg[/URL]

I've tried to include the most recognisable features from both the Giger version & the Rambaldi version, I'm very happy with it but then I've been staring at it for the last few days.
It'll be a challenge to make a cast from this I expect! I've got to figure out the best type of mould to make & I'm thinking I may have to inject the mould for a clean cast.

I hope you like it :)

I'd missed this post.
Absolutely phenomenal.

-SJ

Final result is worth the wait. (don't know if this sentance is correct, I always had problem with the "worth" thing, lol).

Alright, this is getting ridiculous.

You guys remember this started as a few sheets of insulation foam right?

Leigh, give me your brain, your hands and your motorcycle :p

This sculpt is not phenomenal it's XENO-menal :p really fantastic work. Also, using alclad for the teeth is a great idea.

Alright, this is getting ridiculous.

You guys remember this started as a few sheets of insulation foam right?

Leigh, give me your brain, your hands and your motorcycle :p

You forgot to say 'please' :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back