Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien Sculpting finished page 45

they should be 1:6 in scale, around 38 cm high when standing. I ve sculpted one in wax and made a silicone mold than of the different body parts so technically they were reproducible. But there have been only 12 made. my mold was not made out of high quality material so its gone now. Every sculpture is also just based on the original model and than resculped more or less to change the pose. In some cases I ve changed a lot especially on the head while I ve learned more and more about the correct form of the dome and the teeth. Some versions have also teeth made out of stainless steel.

I like it! :):thumbsup

alienbuilder, do you think it would be possible to make a new mould from one of your casts should the need arise? you know..... if there was enough interest :)

I've been making no real progress at all unfortunately :$ I have been trying to keep busy though :)

I've been reading threads here where people have used Alclad for metal finishes, so I thought I'd give it a go:
805.JPG

The pics don't do this Alclad justice! it looks great in the flesh, although I have clear coated it.

I've also been refining the mechanism's that'll make him move. The hardboard parts will ultimately be made in urethane now that I'm happy with it all :)
Just got to hook up the tongue, add a few springs here & there & build a lever block to control him :)
806.JPG

808.JPG

807.JPG

:)

Last edited:

:p Waaaauuuw!!! Those teeth look great!!! Nice job, it really shows how great the sculpt is, and when the head is all put together and painted, they will really make the piece pop.

And I like that you've kept the gums a light grey, I know it's all probably just to show the details and such, but I hate it when I see a very nice Alien bust, statue or figure and they've painted the inside of the mouth and gums all black, when it should be the same whitish colour as the tongue, just as our tongue and inner mouth are the same pinkish colour :)

But yeah, can't wait to see more.. keep those updates coming! :)

Yes, the inside of the mouth is an off-white or dirty white. I've found that if I use the Alclad chrome over the white or light grey it gives it an interesting depth, it almost gives the impression of translucency. I haven't finished this one with it but I'm thinking of using the Alclad chrome all over him when he's finally finished, it only shows up as chrome on a dark or black base.
:)

Oh my lord, Leigh. SO beautiful. I hope life settles down a bit soon mate because I really really REALLY want to think I'll have one of these landing on my porch not too far into the New Year. :D

The jaw mechanism and new idea for the tendons is pretty remarkable....but for me just seeing some paint on your test casts is pretty exciting too. Really nice work here bud.

David

Very nice work Leigh,
the rubber glove version is great and reminisent to the original and great for having a posable version, but I wonder if it wouldn't deteriorate after a while (just like the original)...
I suppose someone who would buy your Alien bust would want to enjoy it for several years.
Having this in mind I would opt for a fixed mouth option, I really like the fixed pose 'grin' version on post #1682,
the only thing, you should be able to see the inner teeth through the opening of the front teeth, but I'm sure you will do this.
The pose in post 1704 is also great and you could make a version inspired on the iconic picture of the Alien viewed from the side (see attachment),
mouth more open (opening between teeth about 5 cm) exposing the inner mouth.

I also think the fixed mouth will look better in combination to the style of the rest of the build
(bearing in mind you're making a bust and not a movie prop)...

Nonetheless, AWESOME work!

Attachments

• alien_head_teeth_mouth_open.jpg
    alien_head_teeth_mouth_open.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Leigh, I like, crazy !!!! :)
It would be nice to do ALIEN mechanized, which is activated by motion sensors and distance. Maybe you could use parking sensors ?! :)

Many thanks for the kind words Guy's :)

Very nice work Leigh,
the rubber glove version is great and reminisent to the original and great for having a posable version, but I wonder if it wouldn't deteriorate after a while (just like the original)...
I suppose someone who would buy your Alien bust would want to enjoy it for several years.
Having this in mind I would opt for a fixed mouth option, I really like the fixed pose 'grin' version on post #1682,
the only thing, you should be able to see the inner teeth through the opening of the front teeth, but I'm sure you will do this.
The pose in post 1704 is also great and you could make a version inspired on the iconic picture of the Alien viewed from the side (see attachment),
mouth more open (opening between teeth about 5 cm) exposing the inner mouth.

I also think the fixed mouth will look better in combination to the style of the rest of the build
(bearing in mind you're making a bust and not a movie prop)...

Nonetheless, AWESOME work!

The sculpted lips will be cast in either silicone or urethane so shouldn't rot over time. I'm sculpting them on to a cast bonded in the mouth closed position, the intention being to be able to open the mouth for a fixed pose or keep it closed. I'm trying to sculpt them so they'll look good with either an open or closed pose.

I'd started to change the sculpt but then regretted it so I'm going back atm to where I was in the last pic's I posted.

As for the mechanised version, I've been itching to try it out & see if it'll work. I may well take this further.....

Leigh, I like, crazy !!!! :)
It would be nice to do ALIEN mechanized, which is activated by motion sensors and distance. Maybe you could use parking sensors ?! :)

Nice idea! So that he moves as you approach him :thumbsup Maybe when I'm a little richer :) Just making the lips move & the jaw open would require 7 servo's :D I've yet to knock up a mechanism for the tongue :)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger Alien)

Can you give me the link of where I can find this orange pipe system?
thanks.

Many thanks for the nice words fella's :)

Right! I couldnt resist taking Nwerke's advise & I'm glad I did, thank you Nwerke for enlightening me :)

You know when you fit a part & you just know its right:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/107.jpg

Heres a closer look at the jobbie:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/108.jpg

I ordered these as a pack of two yesterday morning & their already here :) for the grand sum of £3.98!!!!! :) that included the postage.

Now I just need to identify this part:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/LJH74/Alien stuff/alienside5.jpg

& I'm good to go

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back