Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

Solid work. It totally fits the feel of the rest of the beast you've sculpted.

Many thanks for the great feedback guy's :)

Well, you know me well enough by now... I cant leave anything alone! :D

Made some more subtle changes:
735.JPG

734.JPG

733.JPG

:)

Last edited:

it's beautiful. :)I'm tempted to copy his tendons on my alien,:ninja but, later, you ask me to pay royalties!:( I'm kidding, of course. :thumbsup

Yes, I like the extra tendon... I didn't really like the hole, but didn't want to say

I like this better. Feels more taut and scary.

Showing more jawbone is an plus too. You don't want him too feel too "fleshy". Hard, skeletal and buglike!

Really GREAT.
Tendons looks so cool.
Technical point for tendons (i'm a newbie, sorry):
The white base is a base mold and you put clay on top to build the tendons, right?
But after, how will you proceed to have the tendons alone in transparent material?

it's beautiful. :)I'm tempted to copy his tendons on my alien,:ninja but, later, you ask me to pay royalties!:( I'm kidding, of course. :thumbsup

Yes, I like the extra tendon... I didn't really like the hole, but didn't want to say

Thanks Alan, though I'd prefer you said something :)

I like this better. Feels more taut and scary.

Showing more jawbone is an plus too. You don't want him too feel too "fleshy". Hard, skeletal and buglike!

Thanks Nick :)

Really GREAT.
Tendons looks so cool.
Technical point for tendons (i'm a newbie, sorry):
The white base is a base mold and you put clay on top to build the tendons, right?
But after, how will you proceed to have the tendons alone in transparent material?

Thanks Bee :) The white part is a part-cast of Bob, bonded together & gaps filled. I've sculpted the tendons onto the cast as you say. I'm not 100% sure how to proceed with this at this point :$ The tricky part is that there's a gap behind parts of the tendons, otherwise it could be treated like a regular prosthetic?? I think I'll have to fill the area's behind the tendons & then make a mould over the whole thing. I can then remove all the clay, put the white part back into the mould & fill the void left by the clay with urethane rubber. If anybody has a better idea PLEASE let me know :D

Right, here's the latest: I took a little advise from Alan & I've tried to tighten it all up a bit & give it a kind of a look of a mix of muscle & stretched latex so that it at least has some resemblance to the original. I've also made a couple of minor alterations but that's it now! it has paint on it... done! :D
742.JPG

743.JPG

741.JPG

:)

Last edited:

You're casting technique sounds about right.

You might want to do that then cast a new resin positive so that you can carve down and resculpt the backs of the tendons so they look right shape, texture and thickness.

Then use that piece as your final model to mold.

I have carved down the backs of the tendons as much as I can where there's a gap behind them. I have to consider how the urethane rubber will hang unsupported, if I make it too thin it'll just flop around & sag. I cant carve out anything behind where the tendons attach, I'll need as much bonding surface as possible. I'm finding it quite a tricky part to make! In making it I have to consider the look, the material I intend to cast it in & how the mould will work. With my lack of experience its something I'm not too confident about :)
One of my concerns is where to make the pour spout?? My last attempt failed because I couldn't remove all the trapped air when using urethane rubber, the rubber isn't quite as runny as the plastic & I was getting large bubbles in the lip's & on the chin. I cat fill the mould from the ends of the tendons either because they blend into the jaw??

I have thought about injecting the rubber into the mould, using something like a grease syringe. combined with vent holes in the mould it might just work. Of course doing it that way could present more problems. Due to the shape I think I'll have to use a Silicone outer mould with jacket, injecting could push the rubber past the edges of the mould creating enormous flashing. The only way I can think to overcome that problem would be to use a stiff Silicone for the outer mould??

Its a tricky one for me but I'll get it eventually... fingers crossed :D

Last edited:

A syringe will probably work as long as the vent holes are sufficient. Use a higher hardness silicone perhaps, as you say. You *can* also just use the ends of the tendons...it will cause pour spouts in the finished piece, but it's not that difficult to trim the piece to fit, right? Anyone buying one of these will likely have the required skills. :)

i love your work!!!!bob is goin to be one of the best alien busts ever!!!!!!!!!!!that for shure!!!

Does sound tricky Leigh but sure you'll manage it :)

I just hope I can get this without wasting too much on mistakes :)

A syringe will probably work as long as the vent holes are sufficient. Use a higher hardness silicone perhaps, as you say. You *can* also just use the ends of the tendons...it will cause pour spouts in the finished piece, but it's not that difficult to trim the piece to fit, right? Anyone buying one of these will likely have the required skills. :)

Yeah, I think a firmer rubber will be the way forward. I reckon I could pull this off with the pour spout in the same place as the last attempt if I inject it. The rubber is actually very soft, Quite fiddly to trim up :)

i love your work!!!!bob is goin to be one of the best alien busts ever!!!!!!!!!!!that for shure!!!

Many Thanks Flo :)

and crap...
one of my favorite things about the RPF is looking at "old" builds, reading them like a story; beginning-middle-end. read through some amazing things on this site, this Bob of yours though is at the top, the skill, love and detail are all of the highest caliber.
my CRAP comment above is due to this thread not being a complete one, i became nervous around the 55th page ( yes i read through everything). It would appear that I now have to join the other mortals in here and wait for more updates from you, the master, Leigh. It has been a wonderful 4 hours of reading, and i am looking forward to even more.
keep up the amazing work!

Thanks Guy's :)

metal wood... 4 hours!! I haven't read the hole thread in a long time, I didn't realise it was that long now :D
Thank you for the kind words & I'm very happy that you've enjoyed the read :)
I'm getting more & more frustrated that I haven't been able to update this lately, I want to get on but I cant at the moment :angry I feel like I'm letting you guy's down. You've all been very patient & supportive, thanks again & I'll update with some progress as soon as I can :)

Thanks Guy's :)

I'm getting more & more frustrated that I haven't been able to update this lately, I want to get on but I cant at the moment :angry I feel like I'm letting you guy's down. You've all been very patient & supportive, thanks again & I'll update with some progress as soon as I can :)

think i am speaking for most Bob Fans, No Worries!!! take your time, Bob is your baby not ours. I'm just happy to be in a position to watch your work as it happens at YOUR pace.

for me though, i am agreeing with a few of the comments calling you out on being a modeling "NOOB", shenanigans i say!! wouldn't be surprised if your real name was Stan Winston Jr. lol
keep it up!

Ditto the comment above. Happy to follow progress at whatever pace you set.
Very enjoyable project to watch.

Hiker:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back