Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

Giger compared the Rambaldi Alien face to a monkey's. :lol

That's a new one on me and I thought I knew a lot about xenomorphs LOL :lol

I know what you mean about the rear tendon Leigh but I don't think it needs it. It will look astounding anyway. Besides if you end up using more Flexi urethane rubber than you thought they may have to put back filming on Game of Thrones and that just wouldn't do pal ;)

I've been reading his diaries that have been published in a book. I also learned that he painted the suit with India ink because that's the only thing that would stick to the latex.

Hello Leigh,
I was able to achieve a first printed the transparent dome, but the surface layer of 2mm mold of synthetic gypsum is cracked, creating indentations on the plastic. I'll have to remove the thickness of plaster cracked and polish the mold and redo the dome. The work is still long, but it becomes more and more exciting, because it begins to define itself more and more in the finish. Like? ;)

ec70.jpg
ws5r.jpg
l37k.jpg

Hello Leigh,
I was able to achieve a first printed the transparent dome, but the surface layer of 2mm mold of synthetic gypsum is cracked, creating indentations on the plastic. I'll have to remove the thickness of plaster cracked and polish the mold and redo the dome. The work is still long, but it becomes more and more exciting, because it begins to define itself more and more in the finish. Like? ;)

View attachment 227989
View attachment 227990
View attachment 227991

:eek Jeez!! you don't mess about do you!!

At this point I'm wondering if I should just give up & let you finish the job? at this rate you'll have a head to toe Alien before I'm finished faffing with the tendons :$

Right, I'm a little confused... did you cast that dome or vac-form it?? either way, its impressive :thumbsup

:)

:eek Jeez!! you don't mess about do you!!

At this point I'm wondering if I should just give up & let you finish the job? at this rate you'll have a head to toe Alien before I'm finished faffing with the tendons :$

Right, I'm a little confused... did you cast that dome or vac-form it?? either way, its impressive :thumbsup

:)

At the moment I'll settle for this part that allows me to make the skull without interfering with it. Can I finish my head completely and stick it on the bust, because otherwise I would have had to finish working on the head 2.5 meters in height with the scaffolding. Then, if I want, I will make a best two copies of the dome, a smoky color and the other completely trasparent. :)

I tell you what daredevil, looking at yours with a full body is inspiring me! I'll finish what I'm doing with Bob but who knows what the future holds for him eh :)

Mind you, at my rate of progress it'll be a long way into the future :lol

I've been reading his diaries that have been published in a book. I also learned that he painted the suit with India ink because that's the only thing that would stick to the latex.

He also complains about the fact that he had to repaint it many times, mainly because the inks faded after extensive use of water in Brett's death scenes... (anyhow he complains all the time in these dairies)

I tell you what daredevil, looking at yours with a full body is inspiring me! I'll finish what I'm doing with Bob but who knows what the future holds for him eh :)

Mind you, at my rate of progress it'll be a long way into the future :lol

If you were applying your technique to create the entire Alien, without making molds, in a short time you would do a perfect work. I myself, now that I have learned which materials and techniques to use, I could make better and in a third the time it took me so far. In forty-five days I may redo it completely, working after work 2-3 hours per day and 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. It can be done with polyurethane panels glued that allows a very precise surface and then coated with resin layer 3mm water. We can build the main parts interlocking pyramid with inserts, as he realized Yoshiko Sano for the pipes on the back and then decide whether to create molds later. Or, the work is finished without painting, sawing accurately in appropriate areas and build the joints. What do you think? :)

Damn that translator :( I'm really struggling to understand the translation :$ its using English but its all over the place :unsure

I'm not really sure what your suggesting or asking here, sorry Dude :unsure:$

Damn that translator :( I'm really struggling to understand the translation :$ its using English but its all over the place :unsure

We tried again with English, but it is not a problem. They are only considerations for future work.

I think you could build in a short time one of the most beautiful Alien (without spending time to make molds at once, or only for a few parts such as the dome and lower jaw)

For my next job, using the polyurethane rather than polystyrene, can I get a near-perfect surface on which to apply a 3mm thick resin water-based, possible to sand.

With my Alien, if I want, before I paint it in, I'll cut with precision the main parts (arms, legs, head, pipe back) and insert parts of conjunction as Yoshiko Sano has done for example for the tubes back. This, however, implies that tubes will be cut in some areas ...

In this way I could make the molds in the following, if not glue the parts but the fixed mechanically.

regards :)

Last edited:

I think he's saying he will engineer the sculpt so that it is in pieces for easier casting instead of sculpting the whole thing and then cutting it up?

OK, thanks guy's :)

Daredevil, Yes I would say that the polyurethane foam would be easier to carve & sand than the polystyrene & it wont melt when glued with CA glue which speeds things up a bit. The polyurethane foam is quite brittle though & large parts will need to be reinforced. You may find you need to seal it first with PVA glue to get resins to stick to it.
I think cutting it into smaller parts would make it easier to work on & make moulds if you choose to. I would recommend a mechanical connection between parts in a similar way to how I've made Bob.

Garlicbread :) not just yet, I need to finish Bob as a bust first & I also have plans for other sculpts before I can think about attempting a full body for Bob :)

I think he's saying he will engineer the sculpt so that it is in pieces for easier casting instead of sculpting the whole thing and then cutting it up?

As the glue between the parts that you see in the video, I used the polyurethane spray that fills all the cavities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back