Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger Alien)

This is coming along great.... I'love the plumbing parts.

Glad I could have been of help.

Your help has been great (I did give you a thanks on the previouse page) I'll be knocking on you inbox again in the near future ;)
I would'nt have a urethane jaw if it wasnt for you :).
I am very appreciative of the help & the praise I've received from this forum so far :)

The piece you are circling in that pic, is an old stopper section that was on the 70s version of this siphon pump. There isn't one currently available that has that section so you'll have to scratch build it.

Dave

The piece you are circling in that pic, is an old stopper section that was on the 70s version of this siphon pump. There isn't one currently available that has that section so you'll have to scratch build it.

Dave

Thanks Dave :), I had a feeling that might be the case. I'll see if I can find a better pic of the stopper & crack on :)

Call her Tiffany. Never heard of an alien named Tiffany myself. :)

Great sculpt. Inspiring work.

Nick

Dave beat me to it. I have a pump that's pretty ancient - always meant to use it in a build - but I'm not sure it's 70s vintage. I'd check but it's at my mum's place - I'm medically immobilised right now and she's just been diagnosed with cancer. (We're having a GREAT 2011 so far.) :(

WIP, I'm finding it difficult working the clay around the pipes shapes, I think I'll have to look at getting some of those nice sculpting tools I keep seeing.

You're doing this without dedicated tools? Impressive, but do do yourself a favour and grab some. Mine are real cheapies but still a lot better than using screwdrivers and skewers and butterknives. :)

Many thanks for the nice words fella's

You earned 'em. This is really nice work and I think we're all enjoying seeing it take shape.

Right! I couldnt resist taking Nwerke's advise & I'm glad I did, thank you Nwerke for enlightening me :)

My pleasure! Glad I could help. What you had was pretty good already but I can't help liking that you've gone that one step better!

Amazing work! H.R Giger would be proud to see his original work inspire people to create there own pieces like this.Are you planning to make a wearable suit in the future?:cool

Sorry to hear about your bad year Nwerke, My missus just lost her Mum to cancer in April, a very difficult time :(

I still havent bought any tools, money's real tight atm.
Heres what I'm using:
1.jpg

In breif I do most of the shaping up with my fingers, the gouge & the blunt end of the scalpel. I then cover the area with the cling film & smooth it of, refine the shape using the cotton buds, the scalpel & the wooden sticks through the cling film, I find the cling film helps to reduce the number of finger prints left in the work, tools slide over it well & if rubbed it can leave an interesting wrinkle effect. I then peel the film off & brush on a little spirit & use the brush & the sponge to texture it. The sticks have been radiused for different uses.

I know its not the correct way to do it but I'm comfortable with it for the moment.

Many thanks all for the great comments & I have no plans for a full body atm. Originaly I just intended to make the head, that grew into a head & neck & now its shoulders aswell. TBH I think adding the shoulders is biting off a bit more than I can chew atm & I'm finding it a little daunting. For the moment I'm concentrating on the head, when thats in resin I'll continue with the rest of the bust :)

Last edited:

Thanks, and sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Damn cancer, it's going around.

Re tools, there's no "correct way" - hey, if it works it works! :)

Where I say 'cheapie' I mean literal plastic bits of junk BTW - I think mine wouldn't have cost more than a couple of quid.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Damn cancer, it's going around.

Re tools, there's no "correct way" - hey, if it works it works! :)

Where I say 'cheapie' I mean literal plastic bits of junk BTW - I think mine wouldn't have cost more than a couple of quid.

Hmmm, I'll have a looky on ebay & see whats available though I feel like I want to be using the rubber tipped jobbies.
For the moment I'm more concerned with how much the moulding & casting materials are going to cost, I'm having to be very carefull how much I spend & prioritise.
Thanks for the tip though :)

Last edited:

Just a little update:

I've sorted those missing parts:
109.jpg

I ended up using a rubber door stop, the type that screws to the floor (the black part) & the shim from an Ikea kitchen door handle.

From the reference pics It looks pretty close although looking at Sano's 1/3 bust, He's has a bigger flange at the end & lines on the sides.

I'm not too fussed about adding the lines on, I'm happy to keep it simple :)

Last edited:

Just a little update:

I've sorted those missing parts:

109.jpg

I ended up using a rubber door stop, the type that screws to the floor (the black part) & the shim from an Ikea kitchen door handle.

From the reference pics It looks pretty close although looking at Sano's 1/3 bust, He's has a bigger flange at the end & lines on the sides.

I'm not too fussed about adding the lines on, I'm happy to keep it simple :)
Incredible work so far, and don't worry, we all get a bit jealous of a guy with a bigger flange from time to time!

Rich

It is looking killer, makes me want to start my next couple of projects. Haven't done it yet for lack of tools, at least that is my excuse. Looking at how awesome this is turning out, I need to drop the excuse.

Time for a little update.
Unfortunatly it doesn't look like I've done much but I've been busy sealing & claying up the rest of both sides. I've added more pipework & I'm now re-working the cheeks as I think they're a little too big. I still have a fair bit to do before moving onto the cowling & the top of the head, still shaping, smoothing & texturing to do.
112.jpg

111.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

I cant wait to get cracking with the top part of the head & the cowling.

Last edited:

This is utterly staggering! If you ever do casts, give us a shout!

Rich

Many thanks :) will do :)

Heres a little taste of whats to come:
115.jpg

116.jpg

Its just roughed out in foam atm, I needed to see how the skull part would work with the rest of the face ie would the cheeks line up ok etc.
At least thats what I keep telling myself :lol

Last edited:

this is a great project. i really love all of the detail in the face cannot wait to see more progress!

this is a great project. i really love all of the detail in the face cannot wait to see more progress!

Cheers joe...More progress :)
117.jpg

I've shaped up the foam, sealed it & glued it on to the head so its now permanent, just need to apply some clay here n there. I'm now taking a different route with the cowling, I'll get the head fully finished, moulded & cast then I can concentrate on the cowling.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back