Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien creature

Sorry I totally missed this when you were doing that bit of work, I'd have weighed in. It's great work so far, love it. Would be happy to give advice if needed when you're ready to mould up the rest of the head.

By the way, if you want to "accurise" the side short fat pipes - those AND the thinner pipes that lead out of them are all one item. It's the old dayglo orange style of plastic squeezy kerosene hand pump.

Anyway, great stuff!! :thumbsup

I figured it was an off the shelf item I just didn't recognise it & didnt know what to look for, I'll have to try n find an image of one although I'm probably not going to replace it at the moment as I like the smaller pipes & I'd have to alter quite a bit to make it fit I expect. I am going to alter the short fat pipe though as I dont like the spacing on the ribs.

Thanks for the tip though :) I'll look into it & if I can get one I will show it up against what I have & if I dont need to alter that much then I might go for it.

EDIT: I've found loads on ebay & cheap aswell but not one is the same design is there a make I should look out for??

Last edited:
Re: Bob the Alien (Giger Alien)

I've desided I'm not going to go down the "accurise" route, I'm going to carry on as I started.
Athough it would be nice to make this spot on to the original if I took that route I'd have to pretty much start over. I am trying to catch the majority of he's distinctive features & capture the essence of Giger's Alien but with a little artistic licence if that makes sence.

With that in mind note there are less ribs on the new side pipe than the original although they are the same shape :)
100.jpg

WIP, I'm finding it difficult working the clay around the pipes shapes, I think I'll have to look at getting some of those nice sculpting tools I keep seeing.

Last edited:

For someone who is doing this for the first time it looks like you know what your doing it really I said REALLY looks good!

Many thanks Ray :)

I'm a happy boy today :)

Pulled my very first polyurethane resin cast from the only silicone mould I've made :) :
102.jpg

101.jpg

103.jpg

I'm pleased as punch with this! there are a few bubbles, mostly on the convoluted pipes. The teeth have come out great & the finnish overall is brill. I used talc on the inside of the mould to reduce the bubbles but I guess I'll have to change the way I pour the resin to get the rest of that trapped air out.

:)

Last edited:

Oh & a big thanks to sskunky for the casting/product advise :)

Heres the latest:
104.jpg

I've been busy with the clay on the side of he's head, just need to give it a final smooth & then texture it.

The cowling needs to come down a couple of millimeters more, I'm intending to use a polyester resin with a lightweight cloth & cover the whole of the cowling to give it a hard shell & to get the edges right in relation to the pipe it covers so that it fits the sides of the head perfectly. Then I can use car body filler to build up the sides & a few other area's of the cowling & finnish the shaping up. It'll then be pretty solid so I'll make a wooden structure to support it & raise it up & it should be OK to use for vac forming :confused thats the current plan for the cowling anyway...feel free to criticise on this idea :)

& here's he's new plastic jaw fitted & re-adjusted so the teeth mesh better:
105.jpg

& with he's mouth open:
106.jpg

Last edited:

Very cool! I'm glad you are giving it a proper throat area behind the lower jaw. Too many reproductions neglect the fact that it actually had a throat.

Very cool! I'm glad you are giving it a proper throat area behind the lower jaw. Too many reproductions neglect the fact that it actually had a throat.

Yeh, I had originally sculpted the front half of it into the under side of the jaw but I removed it as I was finding it difficult to build the mould arround it. My intention is to build it into the neck as one peice & then bond it into the jaw on assembly.
I'm hoping to cast the neck & throat in a rubber of some sort & then reinforce the neck area with polyurethane so that the throat remains flexable to allow the jaw to be posed open or closed, thats what I'd like to do anyway :confused I've got to do some research into the correct rubber to use.

Not much in the way of updates atm I'm afraid, just been tweeking little bit n peices & I'm now seriously considering using the squeezy hand syphon for the short fat pipes on the sides but theres a part I cant identify.

I have a question today:

I've been searching the net & it would appear the name "Bob" has been used numerous times as a title for various species of alien.

I'm thinking of changing he's name, I'd like to keep a name for him so I'm asking for some help from you guy's in the form of suggestions.

A couple of names did pop into my head already:

Hans or Rudolf ?? but I feel I might be pushing my luck a little with either of those, Whats peoples thoughts on this?

Heres the part I cant identify circled in red:

View attachment alien side 5.bmp

The rest as in the syphon pump part I can get on ebay it seems that its a pump made by "Colley" but the part I cant identify seems to be missing from every pump I've looked at so I can only assume its a separate part??

Any help on this would be much appreciated :)

Also is it a big deal that there are only 13 rib's on the big side pipes when the original had 16??

Sorry all questions today folks & no pic's :(

Last edited:

Only just came across this thread (i dont ventue too far into the prop forum much.....very green lol) but holy cow, thats a fantastic project, simple items, used to maximum potential.....looks evil as sin too....which is a good look for Bob. Cant wait to see one completed!

lee

Your doing an amazing job as for the ribs ,well they way i see it ,each drone could be different depending on what species it hatched from,look at pred/alein or dog alien,so maybe there's no 1 model so to speak.
As for a name how about zeberdee?

'Zeb' for short ;) I love this project. Great to see how you are not only pulling it together, but also doing a great job of it. Gonna look killer.

Al

Sounds pretty good but theres already an alien called Zeb :unsure I could name him Jim, a shortened version of my middle name, not much comes up on a search for Jim the Alien :confused

Giving him a name is important to me, it gives him an identity & some individuality so he's not just another Alien sculpt.

I dont think Hans or Rudolf will work after all as both are associated with the word alien aswell.
Just for those who dont know Hans Rudolf is the "H R" in HR Giger.

This is fantastic!

You are doing a great job with this sculpt and I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Many thanks for the nice words fella's :)

Right! I couldnt resist taking Nwerke's advise & I'm glad I did, thank you Nwerke for enlightening me :)

You know when you fit a part & you just know its right:
107.jpg

Heres a closer look at the jobbie:
108.jpg

I ordered these as a pack of two yesterday morning & their already here :) for the grand sum of £3.98!!!!! :) that included the postage.

Now I just need to identify this part:

& I'm good to go

Last edited:

This is coming along great.... I'love the plumbing parts.

Glad I could have been of help.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back