Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

I think I've lost track of what sculpting materials your using. What's made of what at this point? So many different things going on with this beasty's construction.

Nick

Thanks guys :)

I think I've lost track of what sculpting materials your using. What's made of what at this point? So many different things going on with this beasty's construction.

Nick

:lol let me try a recap... Erm??

Hardboard for the armature, Inulation foam for the bulk of the shape, that was all held together with wooden sticks, super glue & PVA glue. Then theres car body filler, miliput & a Das type clay. Theres stainless steel in the top jaw/roof of mouth, green putty, polyurethane plastic, various wire/cable, rubber & plastic convoluted tubing & Newplast clay. Thats just in the head & jaw :lol

Edit: oops, I forgot the two rubber door stops & the Ikea kitchen door handle spacers :D

Oh & the caulking (builders flexible filler)

In fact, if I had thought about it earlier I could have used an upturned kitchen sink for the base :lol

Last edited:
I've spent the last two days re-sculpting the spines. I had to bend them all up a bit to caulk the convoluted tubing & I wasn't happy with the shape of the side parts of the spines anyway. I also needed to extend them all the way to the back again after I removed them at the rear to re-shape the back of the head.

Heres the result:
410.jpg

409.jpg

407.jpg

411.jpg

I'm quite happy with them now :)

All I've got to do before moulding is a very light rub down on some of the hard area's & then one all over coat of paint :)

Last edited:
Leigh, now, the home stretch, is the time when there is most likely to be a massive solar ****trino storm. ****trinos are the subatomic particles which cause freshly-completed sculpts to fall off tables just as you start brushing the first layer of silicone.

Beware!!!!!

I thought I was a perfectionist.....geez.....

Just kidding,this looks fantastic!

wow, Leigh those spines look perfect. I liked them before but you really nailed them this time around. :)

Thank you Dave :)

Leigh, now, the home stretch, is the time when there is most likely to be a massive solar ****trino storm. ****trinos are the subatomic particles which cause freshly-completed sculpts to fall off tables just as you start brushing the first layer of silicone.

Beware!!!!!

:lol I'll be extra carefull :thumbsup Did you notice the small peice of blue foam wedged under the back? That stops his head falling backwards :D

I just hope the cats leave him alone :confused

Leigh, this truly is an amazing piece of work. Well done!

Thank you Neil :)

Well, he is now grey all over & I'm very happy with how he's come out :)
With a uniform colour & finish all over it's much easier to see all his features :)

Some pic's:
412.jpg

413.jpg

414.jpg

417.jpg

418.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Pop.........pop....pop..pop poppopity pop........munch munch munch!!

Just awesome leigh, so impressed with your skills.

Checking this thread for updates, and finding one, has become completely the highlight of my day. :D

Thank you guy's :)

A thought's just crossed my mind.....

Does anybody know if Humbrol Enamel (the grey paint I've used) has Sulfur in it??

Has anybody made a Silicone mould over an item painted with Humbrol Enamel before?? Any issues??

I really dont want to find the silicone doesn't set or I have a ruined mould surface due to reactions with the grey paint :confused

I did search Google for answers but didn't have any luck.

It's always great to see a piece primed and all one colour... it just brings it all together and makes it look like a single entity rather than a bunch of pipes and tubes and various coloured putties etc. When you started it I never dreamed it would look this polished, and, dare I say it, perfect.

I can't say for sure that Humbrol doesn't contain sulfur, but I think it's very unlikely. Remember that sulfur only inhibits platinum cure silicone. But I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will be able to advise you on that.

Al

Nah, never had a problem caused by paint with silicone. If you have paint on top of non-hardening clay, it will likely stick to the silicone and come off in places. Not stick stick, though, nothing much sticks to silicone bar itself. Doubt it'll be a problem, do a test patch if in doubt.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back