Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

This is an amazing sculpt! Like everyone, I'm really enjoying the thread and eagerly awaiting each new progress picture. I love details and this sculpt has been real eye candy for me. Great job!

Also does anybody know if it'll be ok to paint the clay (oil based) with Humbrol satin enamel while I'm at it?? will it work ok with a brush-on mould?? or am I likely to cause myself problems:confused

The only thing I think could happen is that the paint might pull off with the silicone when you are demoulding. I primed my T1 base prior to moulding and the silcone pulled some little bits of primer off and they transfered to the first couple of castings I made. No biggie really. Enamel might be different, but I just wonder if , as it's on oil based clay, big sections of the enamel might pull off with the mould. Still might not be much of a concern, but it's there.

Still looking fabulous too, Leigh :)

Al

The only thing I think could happen is that the paint might pull off with the silicone when you are demoulding. I primed my T1 base prior to moulding and the silcone pulled some little bits of primer off and they transfered to the first couple of castings I made. No biggie really. Enamel might be different, but I just wonder if , as it's on oil based clay, big sections of the enamel might pull off with the mould. Still might not be much of a concern, but it's there.

Still looking fabulous too, Leigh :)

Al

Thanks Alan & thanks for the info :) :thumbsup

It did cross my mind that it may come off with de-moulding, could I peel that off the mould after though :confused
My main concern is whether it's likely to start comming off while I'm applying the first silicone brush on detail coat? if it starts lifting as I'm brushing the first coat on, it could mess up the surface finish & ruin the mould :confused maybe??
I suppose I could just paint some spare clay & see how durable it'll be :)
That would be the sensible thing to do :rolleyes:lol what am I like :facepalm

It will work. we use krylon crystal clear or matte spray. Watch using plastic cling wrap and paper towels during the matrix they will mar your smooth enamel surface. Use white trash bags instead to protect the sculpt during the clay up phase of your mold.

It will work. we use krylon crystal clear or matte spray. Watch using plastic cling wrap and paper towels during the matrix they will mar your smooth enamel surface. Use white trash bags instead to protect the sculpt during the clay up phase of your mold.

Thanks but I dont quite understand ?? Matrix? Trashbags?? clay up???

I'm confused :confused

I just read something I missed. Your doing a brush up? The process I was describing is very technical vs a brush up. Matrix or case molds are self made containers that hold the silicone against your shape. They use far more silicone than a brush up but last many years. Sorry for the confusion.

I just read something I missed. Your doing a brush up? The process I was describing is very technical vs a brush up. Matrix or case molds are self made containers that hold the silicone against your shape. They use far more silicone than a brush up but last many years. Sorry for the confusion.

I get ya now :) Yeh I cant really use that technique because I've used soft non setting clay to make a fair bit of him & if I was to do a clay-up I would probably damage the surface. With my inexperience I decided the safest bet would be to brush it on. I'm hoping to build it up to about 1/2" to 5/8" thick & then build a jacket in grp or similar :)

If he was solid all over I'd have given that technique a go for sure:)

Thanks guy's :)

All the hard bits of the head are pretty much done (painted grey) & I can now go back to sculpting the clay (soft bits) :)
He's Back on the dinning room table & I shall be getting stuck into the sculpting again in the morning.
On his right hand side I've just got to go over the surface of the clay & re-texture it, on his left hand side I've got to re-shape the clay in a few places, add some detail & then texture that whole side.
I've also got to tidy up his head spines as they've recieved some knocks & I've got to make the rear most spines to continue on from the ones that are there now.

My Julia took some pics of him this morning:
392.jpg

391.jpg

395.jpg

She's warming too him a bit I think :)

Last edited:
This looks absolutely fantastic! But as well as being inspirational with the quality of the sculpt, this is an awesome thread with tons of information for us newbies to the RPF.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back