Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien creature

I don't think it will look awkward once the head is in place. As long
as the back of the head is, it should balance the whole look out perfectly.

Looking great, but I have to be honest, when I read the title of the thread, the first thing that came to mind was Bob from Monsters vs. Aliens :D

I don't think it will look awkward once the head is in place. As long
as the back of the head is, it should balance the whole look out perfectly.

It does look better with the head on:
87.jpg

All Glued now, I'll see how it is in the morning, gotta find those muscles in the foam & then on to some detail :)

Last edited:

Looking great, but I have to be honest, when I read the title of the thread, the first thing that came to mind was Bob from Monsters vs. Aliens :D

I did wonder if I'd made a mistake with the title Maybe I should have replaced "creature" with "Giger Alien" :unsure

Ohh yeah....love the addition of the shoulders. Gives it a more finished look than just a head by it self.

Are you going to have any of the big back spines on it ? Two would look cool.

Awesome work bro.

Thanks for the great feedback :) as far as the back detail I'll get the top spiney thingy (the one in the middle top) on & hopefully the two either side top ones.

Once I've got the body to a human shape I can start fitting those spiney things & he's shoulder pads etc.

Done a bit more shaping up this morning but I'm back to wet glue again, the PVA only drys where the air can get to it so I have to do a bit then wait before I can do a bit more, Its comming along though slowly.

He now looks as if he was acting as a shield for Indy at the begining of Raiders....Didn't get much done yesterday but heres the latest:
89.jpg

88.jpg

90.jpg

The glue's dry enough to carry on now & a little more shaping up is needed before I start adding Alien features.

This turned up this morning:
91.jpg

Silicone, Catalyst, Thickener, Spatular & a set of instructions. It'll be interesting to see how this jaw moulding comes out, the clay I've used is "Newplast" there should'nt be any reactions as its sulphur free but we'll see.

Last edited:

Not knowing to much about the whole art of sculpting, I have to ask. What are the sticks for ?

Holding it all together or there to add stuff to ?

The sticks are for pinning the foam together while the glue dries, They also make for good reinforsement in structurally weak areas.
They're "Barbecue Bamboo Skewers" bought from Wilkinsons for 50p, they're 10" long a little over an 1/8" in diameter & pointed on one end in packs of 100. I break them to length as I need them & re sharpen, I also shaped a couple of them for using as sculpting tools for the clay as I dont have any proper clay sculpting tools.

Edit: I also dont know alot about sculpting, I'm learning as I go, This is my first sculpting & moulding effort but I am determined to do a good job of this.

Last edited:

Had a play with one of the pic's I'd taken, I'm not very good with paint programs but I was looking to get an idea what he'd look like with he's lips, tendons & he's top cowling brought down to cover the convoluted pipe that runs arround the head. I'm really looking forward to reaching this stage :)
62+.JPG

Its rough but It gives an idea to what I'm aiming for

Last edited:

The sticks are for pinning the foam together while the glue dries, They also make for good reinforsement in structurally weak areas.
They're "Barbecue Bamboo Skewers" bought from Wilkinsons for 50p, they're 10" long a little over an 1/8" in diameter & pointed on one end in packs of 100. I break them to length as I need them & re sharpen, I also shaped a couple of them for using as sculpting tools for the clay as I dont have any proper clay sculpting tools.

Edit: I also dont know alot about sculpting, I'm learning as I go, This is my first sculpting & moulding effort but I am determined to do a good job of this.

Thanks for the answer Leigh, I thought they might have been helping to hold things in place but had to ask the question.

Mate for someone who doesn't know alot about sculpting you are making it look easy.

Many thanks for the great comments guy's :)

Awesome , cant wait to see this done as ive never seen an alien created this way. Great work

Cheer's, I figured it was probably not the most conventional way to do this but there is a method to my madness.

Firstly the cost, the materials I've used have been very cheap & I've been able to buy them in small quantities a bit at a time which helps to spread the cost.

Secondly my inexperience, I've not done this before & I wanted to pre-visualise it, I wanted to make sure the parts fitted together properly & it also means that I can perfect the shape (to my taste) while its easy to change it. Once I'm happy with everything I can seal it & add a layer of clay & the pipework for the final detail.

Another bonus is that its light weight, I was concerned that if I'd made it out of a solid lump of clay it might have distorted under its own weight :confused. Its also easy to move about as I'm making this on the dinning room table :D

I would have never guessed that you have never done this before.

The sculpt so far is outstanding. Looking forward to the next update! :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back