What to see at Skywalker Ranch?

I had a chance to visit the archive in November, too. Had lunch at the main house. Sat a table away from GL and Seth Green and got to watch them sing happy birthday to a girl at their table. I took a bazillion photos in the archive, but like others have said, it was under the condition of not posting online.

My big score was finding the Y-Wing pilot vest/chest details. No productions photos have ever been released and you can't see it on screen, so it's been a holy grail for rebel pilot costumers. I got close up photos of the greeblies and even the text written on it. I also got close up photos of the other pilot chest boxes and the A-Wing helmet from all angles.

To say it was an experience would be an understatement. Where is there to go now? :lol

Scott

Other than meeting the stars of the films themselves, I think this would be the ultimate. It just baffles me how anyone has access to the archives. I guess it all comes down to who you know. I think nearly everyone here on the forum would kill to get the chance to see all of this stuff in person. I was lucky enough to see Star Wars in concert, so I got to see some of it, but man. The archives? I'm so shocked that all they did for the Bluray was a flyby of it. What a shame.

Yeah the archives were cool. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome. But as it turns out, it wasn't the overall highlight of my visit. I was actually more into Skywalker Sound - witnessing the blu ray mix of Raiders among other things. :cool For me that opportunity was priceless!

As a member of the 501st there are some pretty unique opportunities that is for sure. It's cool to see some stars, writers, etc. but most of the time it's while there in their relax mode and it's not too cool to bother them when they are in that place of comfort.

As stated the old saying of "It's who you know definitely applies to visiting places like the ranch. However you never know if a effort or good deed might go noticed by that special person or employee and you too could get the chance without actually having a relationship with someone there.

Thanks for the stories, they are interesting....

Last edited:
Same here a lot of that stuff in there is in bad shape and it just depressed me! :lol

Call me weird but I loved the grounds and the main house.

Loved the food too!

Yeah the archives were cool. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome. But as it turns out, it wasn't the overall highlight of my visit.

I'd love to see that beautiful library. Not only has Lucas been interviewed in there, but Bill Moyers interviewed my ultimate hero, Joseph Campbell in there for The Power of Myth series. Those stained glass windows and ceiling are gorgeous!

I have that on DVD and yes the Library is absolutely beautiful

The whole house is really something.

I'd love to see that beautiful library. Not only has Lucas been interviewed in there, but Bill Moyers interviewed my ultimate hero, Joseph Campbell in there for The Power of Myth series. Those stained glass windows and ceiling are gorgeous!

bensaber1.jpg

Ben got all crazy doing his Emperor voice, just repeating "Finish him!" over, and over.

Sounds like you had a great trip! When I used to go, we'd only hit the Archives and the main house (and only then for lunch... we usually spent the whole day in the Archives). I loved the paintings he had, and the staircase in the library - stunning work. Must be a little bittersweet for George to be surrounded by all that beauty, and know who made it/how it all ended.

Jim, it's really cool that you had Ben Burtt as your guide and had the opportunity to hang at Skywalker Sound - I can't think of a more deserving RPFer to get that star treatment!

Yeah I thought about that too. There is a great deal of irony that something so beautiful has so many painful memories attached to it.

So, Hyperdyne, if I may ask, what kind of work are you involved in that gave you the opportunity to see all of this?

They used the stained glass design on the Christmas card a couple years ago, so it can't be that much of a sore spot.

When I replay my visit, I keep thinking of all the things I wish I has looked and and photographed. For some reason I skipped on taking a picture of the Ark of the Covenant! Why!?!?! I did get a corner of it in a pic, though.

Scott

She supervised the building of the Library and Main house, I think she designed the Library.

Tom Rodriguiz was a contractor who cam in and supervised among other things the library and Stained glass Dome.

Marcia married him

Does all this mean that Marcia had a lot to do with designing the main house?

Yeah the library was very cool, I forgot all about it. Too much stuff to remember! :eek

Jason, I saw the ion cannon. The poor thing was on a bottom shelf shown no love. Alas, I didn't get a pic of it. Maybe next time.

The original ark was cool, but it's kind of anti-climatic when you see it - at least for me. I guess it all depends on the mood. Ha. The animatronic Donovan from Indy TLC, or the andidote vials from TOD were more interesting...

Now the original E-web cannon from ESB. *That* was cool. Got lots of nice shots of it to update my build... :thumbsup

I think its safe to say the entire complex is wonderful in the extreme. From the Inn thru every building and up the stairs in the main house…

Its understated, magnificently presented and maintained and aside from the archives, for those interested an absolute treasure trove of original, classic art…

regards

MARK

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back