Superman Returns Crystal 3D model for your review

newcrystaltrace.png

I'll try to get the other traces done in the other thread, so please review it there - well, I'm not so sure, if the some facets are correct JS, but we'll see that, if the traces are done.

EDIT:
tracenew01.jpg

tracenew02.jpg

tracenew03.jpg

tracenew04.jpg

tracenew05.jpg

tracenew06.jpg

the facets below are highly speculative, so don't take that for granted.

That's all I could recognize...

Chris, what's your opinion Master of Kryptonian Crystals?

YCL - My model very well may not be facet-accurate as it is tough
to match up the geometric shapes exactly to the on-screen crystal.
It should be close, as I tried to copy the general look and styling
of the crystal as best I could without concrete dimension to go to.

JS :)

you did a hell of a job.

the only thing i am kinda "hmm" on is that diamond shaped facet. i dunno if that needs to be there or if its a trick of the light.

still, this thing kicks ass :D

if everyone agrees that this kicks ass, we can use it. its about 8 jillion times closer to the movie accurate than my megacrystal is :lol

awesome. email me the file and i will send it to the lady tonight and she can make sure they can tackle this :)

chris

Yeah, I see - I myself had problems to get the facets right, please take a look at the very last pic - I typed the adress wrong and had to correct it. I traced the shorter tip again and this is what I did. As I said the lower sides are very speculative.

I think it looks good. There were different crystals, so I dont think it is going to be possible to nail one down exactly without having it in hand. I like the new drawings.... very cool.

so far, using the prelim pic above, the factory can handle it :)

it looks like we have a winnah :D, i will get her the design the night i get it, and we will get firm prices on these and i will start taking deposits to get a prototype started.

chris

Ok, hmm, what about the last pic I posted, with more facets on both tips? If we then project the side rims right to the other side it will be closer... (shy asking)

ive gotten the temp design, and i have to admit its damned pretty.

i am somewhat hesistant to slice a little more off in the hopes of getting more facets though. the design looks terrific, and from the wireframe rotation, i think the light is going to shine beautifully through the crystal.

im not 10000% happy with the design, but i think its as good as it will get, and if i end up with a crystal made off this design then i am a happy man :)

best part? its a hell of a lot safer than the megacrystal was :lol

it looks great, and since we have an electronic version of the crystal drawing we can mod it to be bigger/smaller/thinner in case the second prototype for some reason just doesnt work out.

:thumbsup JSA, i appreciate the help, and i know the rest of the superman fans on the board do as well.

thanks man.
chris

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Aug 29 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]1309148[/snapback]</div>
ive gotten the temp design, and i have to admit its damned pretty.

i am somewhat hesistant to slice a little more off in the hopes of getting more facets though. the design looks terrific, and from the wireframe rotation, i think the light is going to shine beautifully through the crystal.

im not 10000% happy with the design, but i think its as good as it will get, and if i end up with a crystal made off this design then i am a happy man :)

best part? its a hell of a lot safer than the megacrystal was :lol

it looks great, and since we have an electronic version of the crystal drawing we can mod it to be bigger/smaller/thinner in case the second prototype for some reason just doesnt work out.

:thumbsup JSA, i appreciate the help, and i know the rest of the superman fans on the board do as well.

thanks man.
chris
[/b]

The chief has spoken and I will obey :( - was just a proposal with more and closer...

its nothing to be sad about :lol

mainly, i want to get a prototype made with this file, and once it gets finished, either it will look terrific, or we have the electronic "crystal" to modify.

chances are though, this is gonna look pretty damned nice if it matches up to the cad drawing.

i honestly cant see much difference between the cad file and the movie pics. everything matches up pretty spot on. granted, more facets always equals more shine, more facets also equals more labor ;), which means crystals cost more. from the 3d wireframe rotation i dont see any difference between the endpiece pics and the screencaps though. when its rendered it looks weird and solid, but when its wireframe you can see where the light will be coming through, and its gonna kick ass.

the great news is that with this file, i can get a firm cost on these and finish up my overseas haggle, and get the ball rolling to get the project finished up.

granted, im not making anything off this, but i still REALLY want one of these things :D

chris

Thanks very much everybody. I'm glad you like it and I'm hapy to help out.

YCL - Don't be disheartened. I'm hoping the actual piece made from this 3D
model comes out beautiful and to your liking.

Good luck with the project all you Superman fans. B)

JS :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back