Tips on cutaway sabers?

jedichef

Okay, i now know not to ask for a tutorial on cutaway sabers. so instead, i'm asking for what you (folks who built or are building a cutaway saber think are some of the more important tips that you've received, discovered, or consider. one question i have is in regards to the actual cutting of the saber. do i cut it exactly in half or do i favor slightly more to the side i'll be working with? also, am i correct in assuming that endcaps should be left on when cutting the tube in half?

It's kinda hard coming up with a tutorial for a cutaway, because most of the time, the building of each saber is unique and craves different approaches because you don't always know which parts you will have available. (at least in the case of the ones I'm building.)

I would suggest this:

Imagine what you want it to look like, think about how a saber is "supposed" to work (read up a starwars.com) then go 'round gathering parts for a few weeks. Old clocks, hard drives, circuit boards, old gearbox parts... anything small and mechanical is good. Get some copper and brass tube in different dimensions. You will be greatly aided if you have a Dremel-type tool handy.

Once you've got about five times the parts you THINK you'll need, you're ready to start. If you want to save some headache, get a replica saber to cut apart (make sure you get a hollow saber like the Luke or Vader ANH if you don't want to spend a lot of time grinding metal.)

After that you start putting it together. Try different combinations of parts. See what fits where and what looks best, always keeping your original vision in mind. Take your time and don't start glueing until you're sure what you want to do.

If you're going to add lighting, think it over one more time. Where do you hide the leds, wires and on-off switch? Batteries take up lots of space.

I think one important aspect is making everything look functional and like it has a purpose. Don't just rip out the guts of a computer and stick 'em in. If people are saying "Hey, that's from a toaster." then you need to try harder, because it breaks the "immersion".

Finally, i know it's a horrible cliché, but don't expect perfect results the first time. Don't be afraid to ask questions and borrow ideas you like from other makers. (I myself shamelessly borrowed some of Howard's thin brass-tubing ideas.) It takes some practice. After some tweaking, you're almost certain to come up with tons of ideas on how to make the design you're own.

Good luck.

/Joe F

I can't really add much to Joe's excellent comments, other than you'll need a lot of time and patience - but most of all imagination.
Don't rush.
Planning ahead is the key to my builds.

Howard.

Well... asking for a tutorial on cut-away sabers is going to get you nowhere IMO. I asked the same thing a while back regarding a Luke ROTJ saber cut-away I want to build (I'm still designing and imagining how it will all go together, and the new school year has made it almost impossible to get back to it any time soon) using Howard's Obi saber pics as a reference (thanks Howard for letting me, jjpets88, use these. They are the perfect reference material IMO). Just do as the other are telling you and you might just make it big with your first attempt.

Good luck.

Seth

<div class='quotetop'>(joatrash @ Aug 28 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]1308309[/snapback]</div>
If people are saying "Hey, that's from a toaster." then you need to try harder.

/Joe F
[/b]

I guess Lucas should've tried harder when he made the OT since we've I.D.'d almost everything there is to I.D :lol . Even my aunt ,who works in painting and photogrophy and knows about cameras both new and antique, saw ANH for the first time a while back and went "Is that one of those old camera parts?" :lol

changed the first post and added a couple of questions. thanks to those who have given their input so far, it's been a help.

Reminds me of this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...item=6632455752

Pics are still there. :)

a3_3.JPG

yes, yes, i'm sure we're all familiar with Howard's work. that is one piece i won't even come close to matching. but i'm still asking for any advice from people who have built or tried to build a cutaway saber.

Sources for stuff:
* Crystals: real - quartz from jewelery supply store, plastic/glass - arts and crafts store. How to dye quartz: http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=112923. Jewelry stores can also have synthetic gems in many colors.
* Brass/copper pipes: RC hobby stores, used as fuel lines
* Gears: clocks, wind-up and flywheel toys (cars)
* Insides from harddrives, VCR's, cameras etc..

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Lars @ Sep 2 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]1311742[/snapback]</div>
Sources for stuff:
* Crystals: real - quartz from jewelery supply store, plastic/glass - arts and crafts store. How to dye quartz: http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=112923. Jewelry stores can also have synthetic gems in many colors.
* Brass/copper pipes: RC hobby stores, used as fuel lines
* Gears: clocks, wind-up and flywheel toys (cars)
* Insides from harddrives, VCR's, cameras etc..
[/b]

Thanks, i was wondering where to find the copper/brass piping.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back