Jumanji Game Board replica - 15/05/13 Update - Board Edges

Re: Jumanji Game Board replica - 16/10/12 Update - Token 1

That's very good but how is the black circle in the middle going to show words

It won't. It didn't in the film. They used CGI, not practical effects.

Small update: Wood (cedar) has been cut to thickness and width. Lengths have been measured. My carved friend now has it and will cut it to length, mitre it, glue it and then start the diamond "teeth" pattern carving.

The remaining 3 tokens/playing pieces for Jumanji are getting there. Here's were they were at as of last night:

TokensWIP1.jpg

TokensWIP2.jpg

Obviously a lot more work still to do on them. My friend has some antique furniture restoration to do, so will be a while before Jumanji gets back on track, but it's looking promising. :thumbsup

Looking great! Will one of the lid/sides be curved as it is on the movie game, or will it be a prefect square all the way around?

Example:
666.jpg

notice on the upper left lid that its curved. I remember reading on the Milano Woodworks site that he intentionally made it curved as such to make it look like it was "African made" but the inside was kept perfectly square for the insertion of the inner playing field.

Probably will not be as curved as that, no. Would be difficult to do and still get everything to fit together correctly and have the hinges work perfectly and the sides line up when it closes. To be honest, I'm not sure that all of the boards were that curved anyway. Just as we're noticing a lot of variations on the playing pieces, I think the boards also had variations. The solid non-opening stunt versions have the curve, but the hero versions that actually have to open and close look straighter to me.

It may be supposed to be "African made", but I doubt they would have constructed it with mitred edges and brass hinges (for the game piece section lids) like the movie prop has. :lol

That said, once the box is constructed so all the pieces line up properly, I will be taking the sander to it and making sure it's as non-perfect as possible with no hard lines on the outside.

Heres another pretty good photo of a screen used game at some expo, unsure where exactly. Anyway, if you look closely around the edges you can see where its curved.
IMAG0547.jpg

Its also cool to see that there is a game out there still in screen used condition.

Hey dude. I've been following your work anonymously on the board since you started. I have always wanted a Jumanji board since the movie first came out. I actually tried to make one when I was 11, But as you can imagine, it sucked badly. Anyways I'm getting off topic here. You're last post was like 5 months ago. Just curious as to how far the board has come since then. I'm sure I'm not the only one either xD Updates maybe please? Also, when you do put it into the junkyard, how much would you roughly sell it for?

Great work on this cant believe I missed this thread, the accuracy you've put into this is brilliant :thumbsup

My carver friend (it wasn't me who carved the board) has the board pieces - I haven't really seen him for months. Gonna send him an email now and try to get back in touch.

But the board itself is ready? the dice too? Just the pieces that are missing? Will love to see the finished product :D You have to let me know when it's done and in the Junkyard. I will buy it off you as soon as I could xD

But the board itself is ready? the dice too? Just the pieces that are missing? Will love to see the finished product :D You have to let me know when it's done and in the Junkyard. I will buy it off you as soon as I could xD

No, he has the game pieces - as in the playing tokens AND the walls of the board itself that need carved.

He's got lots of antique restoration work coming in, so this has been pushed way back. Plus he has a neighbour that he's had problems with for months, so he can't really make any noise in his flat cos the neighbour goes nuts, so he can't curve/chisel there. Not great. So sadly this is still on hold, though I have been to see him.

Now, I am not sure if I had missed the plan on the green "display"

But I have a few thoughts:

What if: Big IF somehow you had sensors in the dice that when they fell it displayed something on an iPhone and iPod touch in the center ring.

Which would be awesome but yeah would require a bit of work.

I am not talented in this area. I can just come up with extravagant ideas.

Tank

If you were thinking of doing cast or CNC replicas for sale, couldnt you let him to come to your place or something to get it finished? You could cut him in on the money from orders (as he did all the carving). I would assume that it would be incentive for him to push it up on his list of things to do... just a thought?

This project is back alive! :D

Board is being built:

IMG_1606.jpg

And edges carved:

IMG_1611.jpg

So happy. :cool

Re: Jumanji Game Board replica - 12/05/13 Update - Board Edges

This thread made my afternoon! Its one of those props that I had sort of forgotten about, but its going on the list now!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back