Help sourcing balls

Bfarn

Hi all,
This isn't exactly a prop question, but you guys have a reputation for solving pretty out-there problems. Maybe mine!

I'm working on a video installation, projecting onto an organic surface, and I need to source 512 translucent or white hollow spheres. Think of those styrofoam or expanded polystyrene balls from junior high science projects - or even better something like a giant ping-pong ball. I'm looking for 4 to 6 inch diameter spheres. The primary goal is to find balls that will diffuse the light hitting them and glow at least somewhat evenly from external, projected light.

The secondary goal is not to break the bank doing it.

I've found some success, and as a last resort I'll be going with industrial water management spheres:
HOLLOW BALLS HOLLOW PLASTIC BALLS HOLLOW SPHERES FROM COMPLEX PLASTICS 1-888-PLASTIK 1-800-363-2870 SUPPLIERS OF INDUSTRIAL PLASTICS

They're perfect, technically, but at $1.50 each plus bulky shipping, these things will set me back about a grand. That'll have to do if I can't find an alternative, but I'd really love to find something cheaper. Anything vaguely spherical and vaguely white or frosted will do.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back