Luke Hero ESB Tape Question

Cameron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Saber smiths,
Where is everyone getting their 1/2 inch plain silver tape from?
Im doing my first ESB here and this is the last part I need.
Many thanks,
Cam

Last edited:
Hi Cameron,

Well Thibault alas that is the wrong tape and was never used on the screen-used ESB lightsabers.
As Cameron already mentioned they used the plain 1/2" mirrior finish silver tape on the graflex
clamp for ESB which is luckily also supplied by Blast-Tech :

Blast-Tech - Products - Lenses & Boards

-Chaim

Last edited:
Hi Thibault,

It was used on the lightsaber prop after filming and as seen in : Star Wars Magic of Myth Exhibition and accompanying book. Later they engraved the 1" texture on Anakins ROTS lightsaber clamp.

Perhaps some more learned members (Lonepigeon, James Kenobi 1138) can chime in to explain the
the why of the 1" textured mylar strip on Luke's ESB lightsaber more elaborately :D

-Chaim

Hi Thibault,

Not to worry you can always swap your graflex clamp quite easy. Try to track down a graflex 2 cell for that :D

-Chaim

Wasn't textured used on the Dagobah version?

According to the partsofsw webiste, which really needs some updates, it was indeed used on the Dagobah version. I'd like to call on Lonepigeon to verify this or any other member who can enlighten us with accurate facts.

-Chaim

I did not have any problem replacing the textured with the correct tape (unless you used something other that the tapes adhesive to afix it) when I did it years ago.

It is funny how the textured tape was so accepted as being correct for a long time, when the correct tape was in front of our eyes all the time.

Last edited:
The tape was used to cover the word GRAFLEX on the clamp. The type of tape was probably just what they had to hand at the time.

Did everyone miss the screw thread? I posted screencaps of the Dagobah saber and it does not have textured tape on it.

As I stated earlier no textured tape was on the screen-used lightsabers (see post#4) but it's still being mentioned on the partsofsw website to be on the Dagobah-used lightsaber, which as Clutch so evidently
points out . . . it apparently was not!

-Chaim

I think the MoM saber IS the Dagobah saber. Just changed a little after filming.

As I stated earlier no textured tape was on the screen-used lightsabers (see post#4) but it's still being mentioned on the partsofsw website to be on the Dagobah-used lightsaber, which as Clutch so evidently
points out . . . it apparently was not!

-Chaim

I think the MoM saber IS the Dagobah saber. Just changed a little after filming.

You are absolutely correct after comparing the picture in the MoM Book and the one on partsofsw website : they are one and the same ESB lightsaber, indeed!

-Chaim

Well... I will keep the textured tape !
I will lie to my friends and say that it is the most accurate one !!!!!

BTW, talking about accuracy...

I have my ANH saber, and I need your help with my grip...
The borders of my T tracks are straights on each extremity, but on some pictures, they seems to be inclined....

Do I have to cut them for more accuracy ?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back