Equilibirum Grammaton Cleric Coat

awesome project, if you run into trouble on the coat try the mcalls M4745 Civil War Coat pattern it might mod easier for you and looks to have the right cut down the sides.

51ggtWIss8L._AA300_.jpg

Argh. That might have been an easier mod. Although I don't have a copy of that one so can't attest to the front seaming.

I did complete a coat for Florian. It was an interesting project. And I wouldn't say no to doing it again.

Boy, was this thread a timely find for me. Like many in this thread I absolutely adore the design of the costumes in Equilibrium, and I too really want to sport this stylish coat..and I also conveniently want to get into sewing since a while back. This just might do it!

I have a pretty good starting point after reading through this thread, two different pattern suggestions to start from, an excellent image resource from the movie, button-talk, fabric-talk, but as always I'm greedy for more!

First thing's first, any word on that April update, TB? I'm really curious to see how your project is coming together, and I'm especially curious as to how the choice of fabric is panning out..is it close to the coat in the movie in its drape, weight and shininess?

Secondly, and perhaps this is a costuming faux pas as I have been surprised by how close to the chest patterns tend to be held, sold rather than shared freely for the most part, but is there any chance you(or anyone else for that matter!) would be willing to share where you've taken the pattern, what alterations you've made and such? There seems to be a lot of intricate details to get right, such as the 'fore-flap' on the coat, seemingly sewn on to one side of the 'main' coat, in the middle top of the 'flap', then buttoned down along the sides, and I'd be very interested in seeing what other people have noticed and made of those things.

I wasn't able to finish for the con as planned (no more deadlines for me :) it'll get done when it's done). i've asked for assistance from my wife and now we're getting somewhere. I'll work on posting pics and answers to your questions sometime this week.

Last edited:
Jonas, I'll post some progress pictures so you can judge how it looks compared to the movie yourself. I believe I made a good fabric decision.

As my wife has been really helping me along with this project, I've asked her to respond to your construction questions:

I would be more than happy to explain everything that I did to modify the coat, and there were a lot of modifications to be made. Depending on how accurate you would like your coat to be you could do more or less of them. I used the pattern at the beginning of this thread, the Neo-esque pattern. The lining was made with the actual pattern, only modifications made were to the length of the sleeves at this point. The outer coat was made by looking at all the seeming on the actual coat and just trying to replicate it. The piece to make the back of the coat was cut and retraced onto tissue paper into the parts necessary to get the look. Example: the back piece was cut in half-ish length ways and horizontally to get the proper seeming. The pieces were then laid out onto tissue paper (like the kind used to wrap presents with) and retraced with adding new seam allowance to the cut areas. The same technique can be used to preserve your pattern as well by cutting out the pattern pieces from the large sheet it comes in and tracing what you need out onto the tissue and working with it that way. As this sounds like it may be your first project I would suggest doing a "mock up" of the coat if you have the time. You can cut out all of your pieces into muslin, a very cheap fabric many quilters use, and make the coat that way you can see what works and what doesn't before moving onto to the actual fabric you want the coat in. On a side note, always remember to wash and iron your fabric before working with it. That way any shrinkage that is going to happen will before you make your coat making it worry free to clean later.

Moving onto the front piece, what I am doing is making two rectangles and then sewing them together. The front piece has a very visible seam around the edges of it which will allow you to sew your two rectangles together. The buttons will be sewn on later. The front piece I am planning on attaching to the coat by sewing over the edge seam and through the coat. The other side will have some kind of closure, snaps, velcro, etc to keep it with the coat. I am just doing this on the fly, not following a pattern. To me it is much easier to do it that way and make the buttons purely ornamental rather than useful.

20120526_123649.jpg

20120526_123657.jpg

20120526_123751.jpg

20120526_123922.jpg

20120526_124004.jpg

Last edited:
You should really iron every seam after you sew it, it makes everything look cleaner and pressing it properly after it's all together will be difficult and produce sub-par results.

Thanks for the update, TB! The fabric looks appropriately 'heavy' and it seems to drape nicely. The close-ups of the fabric look like Gabaridine, as SSGT Kitten suggested, is that what it is?

Please thank your wife for me as well, that description is going to give me a good start. This is indeed going to be my first major project, something to do during the summer..though I'll probably do a bunch of smaller practice pieces along the way just to master the skills necessary. I appreciate the tips, especially the one about washing and ironing the fabric before use, didn't think of that!

Really liked the Gun Kata poses. I think the worst part about being bald is that I can't shape my hair into a Bale Cleric or Constantine. =)

True for the hitman. I do love wearing suits. If I could find the right wig, I'd go for a Malcolm Reynolds. But when I google "Malcolm Reynolds Wig", it brings up a bunch of "does anyone know of a good wig for a malcolm reynolds furrie?" and that just kind of brings the whole thought to a screeching halt for me. =) Concentrating on a multitude of armored guys now, but mainly trying to gather the correct boots for a Maul. Any baldie is beautiful with red and black styling. ;)

Either way, keeping an eye on this thread. Just incase I do run across that wig. =)

True for the hitman. I do love wearing suits. If I could find the right wig, I'd go for a Malcolm Reynolds. But when I google "Malcolm Reynolds Wig", it brings up a bunch of "does anyone know of a good wig for a malcolm reynolds furrie?" and that just kind of brings the whole thought to a screeching halt for me. =) Concentrating on a multitude of armored guys now, but mainly trying to gather the correct boots for a Maul. Any baldie is beautiful with red and black styling. ;)

Either way, keeping an eye on this thread. Just incase I do run across that wig. =)

Darth Maul is amazing - I'm in the 501st so I know a one or two. Good luck on that costume!

My wife knows some good wig sites, if I find anything good I'll post a link here.

Coat's finally as done after a year! I'm really happy with how it came out. I'll post more pics eventually, but wanted to share that it's finally complete.

IMG_20130721_171142.jpg

For what it's worth, I have one of the AbbyShot Grammaton Cleric Coats. I had been looking for one and asked them a while back if they would still make any at any price, and they said it was just too much work and complexity. I was fortunate enough to find one someone was willing to part with at a reasonable price.

When I find some time I'll get some snaps of it and post

For what it's worth, I have one of the AbbyShot Grammaton Cleric Coats. I had been looking for one and asked them a while back if they would still make any at any price, and they said it was just too much work and complexity. I was fortunate enough to find one someone was willing to part with at a reasonable price.

When I find some time I'll get some snaps of it and post
Would love to see it to compare.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Would anybody sell the watch from the movie. I search the whole web, bot to no avail. I would like the black version AD52BK. I am open for offers.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back