Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP FINISHED see Pg9

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Update!!

Awesome Man ! As a "Hey I can Make that onto a toy
For my kids" kinda guy this is Great . I hope to one day
Make something half this nice to post. Keep it up !,

Hi kidzarmorer! Well thanks for the compliment and funnily enough, I have a sneaky suspicion that this would be about the right size too!:cool

Not for mine.15 Ye. Old is 6'1" And 10 year old is a head taller than the
Other 10 yr olds in scouts. I made Him a Helmet out of cardboard And
a felt tunic. Now he wants the whole Suit . You guys are really
Talented. Im just a tinkerer.

Not for mine.15 Ye. Old is 6'1" And 10 year old is a head taller than the
Other 10 yr olds in scouts. I made Him a Helmet out of cardboard And
a felt tunic. Now he wants the whole Suit . You guys are really
Talented. Im just a tinkerer.
Well, thankyou for that but this is the first time I have ever tried to do anything remotely like this. Normally I am custom airbrushing guitars, not up to my A** in Body filler!:lol

Im a truck driver. I modify toy guns And Make thing for
My boys And thier friends . LOTR ish Birthday props,
Pvc And wood blasters. Kid quality. Nothing to spec. But
Hope to Make costumes for both boys to wear to Heroes con
Next year. Iron Monger And ?? For the 10 yr old .

You sound like a pretty cool dad!!! I wish I'd had a dad like that when I was a kid!

Me too. I try to be the Dad I would've like to hace had.
Dad first . Then buddy. Trying to Make the big one a Helmet
Out of cardboard Now. Between job hunting.

I level of awesomeness cannot be measured by modern measurement techniques! A new unit of measurement will be. created.....The Atlanthia Scale. I LOVE proof of concept projects like this, Paper Mache" is a powerful medium, and that helmet is coming out great.

I had a similar idea to create a video game inspired helmet using as many recycled materials as possible. You have inspired me to do just that. Keep up th good work.

I just have too chime in with my praises. This is by far one of the craziest projects I have ever seen, and its turning out spectacularly(English is as you by now have grasped, not my native language so bear with me please)

This could easily be the pretext for a fantastic competition, one week 10 pounds and try to make it something not a lightsaber? (not dissing the lightsaberthingy)

You are a true inspiration

Rivera

I just have too chime in with my praises. This is by far one of the craziest projects I have ever seen, and its turning out spectacularly(English is as you by now have grasped, not my native language so bear with me please)

This could easily be the pretext for a fantastic competition, one week 10 pounds and try to make it something not a lightsaber? (not dissing the lightsaberthingy)

You are a true inspiration

Rivera

Well firstly, Rivera, your English is probably better than mine! :) and secondly, I'm happy that you dropped by to have a look and leave such a great comment. Thank you!

Mate this is looking cool. Great talent. If you cast these when done and my kids found out there would be hell to pay.

Think I need to go to the Dad training school. my cereal box/toilet roll creations do not turn out like this!!!

Keep going. Can't wait to see the final thing.

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Day 6 Update!!

Well day 6 has come and gone and I am, I admit, starting to panic a little!:eek
I am about two thirds of the way through the body filling process and will be glad to see the back of it!

This frst pic is after about 3 coats of filler and having sanded the Crap out of it. :cry

6630-day-6-5.jpg

I feel it is coming together now as the lines are becoming more defined.

161026-day-6-6.jpg

and this last one shows the dome a little more. I'll fill all the irregularities that remain, rather than try to sand them out.

6632-day-6-8.jpg

I feel confident that if this helmet had been built using more accurate measurements, I would be in a really good place right now, but either way, this is shaping up to be an enormous learning curve. If the results can be this satisfying with a £10 scratch build, I feel confident that a decent Pepakura build will supply me with an awesome helmet in the future!
Hope you all enjoyed seeing it take shape today and hopefully, (touch wood), tomorrow will put this sucker to bed!
Sorry this is a shorter post than usual, but you can only take so many pics of Body filler, and also, I am nearly out of space in my album for photos!

Last edited:

Looks great! Whole lot better n wut i got.

Last edited:
Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Day 6 Update!!

Oh yeaaah! This is really coming together. If you look at everything above the mouth in he 2nd picture it looks suspiciously like Sam the Eagle from the muppets.

You have inspired me to make a headcrab with paper mache and thanks for the gluing tip, by adding wood glue and thickening the mixture my first layer has dried in 2 hours. :D

Oh yeaaah! This is really coming together. If you look at everything above the mouth in he 2nd picture it looks suspiciously like Sam the Eagle from the muppets.

You have inspired me to make a headcrab with paper mache and thanks for the gluing tip, by adding wood glue and thickening the mixture my first layer has dried in 2 hours. :D

My pleasure! If you put a hair dryer on it, you can dry three or four layers in as little as 5 minutes!

Hey Mate, good to hear from you! Hope things are good at your end. Yeah the printer situation sucks BIG time! I even went to the local print shop and asked if I could print it out there, but - of course - they don't have Pepakura on their system and they weren't about to allow me to hook my Laptop up to their set up. This build is basically a time killer until I can start PEPing. I won't be glassing this one, as it has a cardboard structure inside, which renders it useless, but I might have a few questions for you, or anyone experienced in making a fiberglass mold at some point. If it turns out reasonably well, that is.
I have been busy with work and haven't had a chance to do an update. I did manage to finish making the TK pepakura armor files. I just have to work on scaling and unfolding them now. You know .pdo files can be converted to .pdf, so you can print anywhere without pepakura designer installed. I haven't done any molding yet as I haven't built anything worthy to be molded. So I don't have the experience to help you there. Keep up the good work builds like these are always a good learning experience.

I have been busy with work and haven't had a chance to do an update. I did manage to finish making the TK pepakura armor files. I just have to work on scaling and unfolding them now. You know .pdo files can be converted to .pdf, so you can print anywhere without pepakura designer installed. I haven't done any molding yet as I haven't built anything worthy to be molded. So I don't have the experience to help you there. Keep up the good work builds like these are always a good learning experience.

I totally hear what you are saying about PDO to PDF but the Pep file requires a password to allow me to do that. Weird, but I guess its a security thing. I'm glad to hear you finished the armour files, I would love to see them, to see how they look! I bet you're usting to start the build!
Good to hear from you! Stay in touch!

BTW I managed to remove the cardboard structure and the helmet is now wearable!!! I will probably Fiberglass the inside as an unecessary precaution, but better safe than sorry. I saw a green plastic bottle of mineral water the other day and I thought, Hmmm....where others see a refreshing drink, I see trooper helmet lenses! LOL!

Now that is creativity. Awesome work man. Keep it up. :)

Carl

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Day 7 Update!!

I have sadly come to the conclusion that I will not be able to finish this build in the seven day period I originally set myself... This is mostly due to inexperience on my part, as this is my first ever build, and glaring inaccuracies in the helmet that need to be addressed before continuing. Basically, the lower tube that encircles the bottom of the helmet is not wide enough and as a result, makes the helmet look too tall/not wide enough. If this had been more accurately constructed at the start, I feel confident that the build could have been completed on time. At least I am still in budget, if only by £1! I had to get more filler, as I ran out. Well now that the rain has finally stopped, I can get on with things in an hour or so when it's dry enough! I will post some more pics this evening!

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Day 7 Update!!

wow, really shaping up nicely! it's awesome!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back