Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP FINISHED see Pg9

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Update!!

This is so cool. I'm truly blown away.

Now don't go making it in to a pinata for your kid's next birthday party!

I live in Truro Cornwall! Random! Awesome build up mate.

If you want to see some cast from original stormtrooper stuff I am very close!

Joe

Take Joe up on it. He's one of the coolest chaps... Ha I said chap.

Good show, man! Do continue your splendid scratch build. I'm sorry things didn't work out with your printer. I used to do scratch builds like this back in the day, though I never used paper mache for hardening. Will you be using fiberglass later?

Hey Mate, good to hear from you! Hope things are good at your end. Yeah the printer situation sucks BIG time! I even went to the local print shop and asked if I could print it out there, but - of course - they don't have Pepakura on their system and they weren't about to allow me to hook my Laptop up to their set up. This build is basically a time killer until I can start PEPing. I won't be glassing this one, as it has a cardboard structure inside, which renders it useless, but I might have a few questions for you, or anyone experienced in making a fiberglass mold at some point. If it turns out reasonably well, that is.

I live in Truro Cornwall! Random! Awesome build up mate.

If you want to see some cast from original stormtrooper stuff I am very close!

Joe

OMG! YES PLEASE!! ! :eek I think we should deffo meet up for coffee....on me! What do you think? I'll PM you, Joe!

Last edited:

Well this is day 5 and the clock is ticking!!!!

The first thing I did this morning was to AGAIN hack the "eyes" to bits and redo them to make them more screen accurate.

161018-day-5-1.jpg

The side lens frames were WAY too thick, so I have thinned them down. A lot of hassle but hopefully worth it.

161019-day-5-2.jpg

On the left lens frame, I have also thinned the under frame.

161020-day-5-3.jpg

I have also extended the 'eyelids' to hang further down. I call them 'eyelids' as they remind me of those things they put on the headlights of VW Beetles. hehehe!

161021-day-5-4.jpg

And there went the morning!

Finally started to apply the body filler this afternoon. This next picture shows a little thing I stumbled upon that may be of use to some of you. Trying to Bondo around a recessed shape is a DOG of a thing to do, so I just filled the space to be recessed with thick card cut to shape, and filled up to the card edges.

161022-day-5-5.jpg

When the filler is dry, just remove the card. SIMPLES!

161023-day-5-9.jpg

The Helmet looks like KAK right now but hopefully, tomorrow will see it knocked nto some kind of shape!
Thanks again for all the Stunning amounts of support and advice. Keep it coming, as it gives me something cool to read when I take the occasional coffee break!
Day 6 tomorrow so I'd better shake a tail, as I still have the ears to build and fit, as welll as finishing the bondo!
Bye for now!

Last edited:

Wow, turning out really nice.
Would like to see you turn out some TK armor when your done!

Wow, you are like the MacGuyver of the prop world. That is really nice looking. Next you have to do a blaster using only duct tape and ball point pens

I'm STILL laughing at your post, God KNOWS how many hours later!.......RESPECT TO YOU:lol

I'm STILL laughing at your post, God KNOWS how many hours later!.......RESPECT TO YOU:lol

Happy to hear it. I look forward to seeing this when its finished. At this rate it'll be hard to tell the difference between this one and the real thing. You've got great skills

wow you really have set the bar high for paper mache!

are you going to wear this one, or fiberglass it and then wear it? or mold it? or was it all just for fun?

wow you really have set the bar high for paper mache!

are you going to wear this one, or fiberglass it and then wear it? or mold it? or was it all just for fun?

Hi kimncris! You know, it seems to be a very closely guarded secret, the exact measurements of a real trooper helmet. When I started this, I tried everything and everywhere to get a hold of the correct dimensions and without success. As a result, I set my dimensions at 12 inches cubed and now that it's near completion, I can clearly see that it will be too small for an adult to wear :cry
I may look at molding it later on but that all depends on the finished product. Time will tell, I guess!

hmm= that is a pickle. I wish I knew the dims - I would tell you. but I only have a Armor FX one and everyone knows they are like bobble heads.

Amazing build keep up the good work and remember for every fool taht puts you down,100's more will pick you up

The Inquisitor,i've seen people like you come and go on this board,if you wanna put other peoples hard work down ..well then go.
As a newbie to this site maybe you should build bridges intead of nuking them.If you can do better on a budget let your work do the talking

Love this challenge! Like watching a Top Gear challenge only different!

This is absolutely amazing. You have so much creativity.

Awesome Man ! As a "Hey I can Make that onto a toy
For my kids" kinda guy this is Great . I hope to one day
Make something half this nice to post. Keep it up !,

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back