Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP FINISHED see Pg9

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP

I know you're not trying to make it accurate that much is clear.That's why it would be great for Halloween. I'm having a great day I feel like I could blow up the death star

Holy crap, for the budget and supplies that looks amazing mate. I never failed to be impressed with peoples building skills on here but to take a bunch of house hold crap and make it look THAT good blows my mind.

Hi All! Well, here are the pictures of today's progress!
I started by cutting and fitting the half discs for the lower side tubes.

6537-gedc0291.jpg

I then started to form the two "eyelids" that are situated either side of the vocoder.

160968-gedc0296.jpg

In this one, you can see the new technique I have started using to try and give better support to the Paper, which can sag a little in places. It seems to work well.

6540-gedc0303.jpg

I then made good over the top with papier mache to form the right shapes.

160971-gedc0304.jpg

This next pic shows the bloomin' nightmare of trying to sculpt the front Jowls that house the pods and mic tips. Cardboard doesn't like bending in more than one direction at a time!

160972-gedc0305.jpg

I finally achieved the right shape by building a lattice of thin strips of card, as I did on the lower side tubes. This worked really well and I will post some pics of how it looks, when I do the other side tomorrow. The papier mache is a little uneven, but I will go over it in white paper before I bondo it.

160973-gedc0307.jpg

This view from the front shows what an absolute PIG of a shape this is to recreate, but I am happy with the overall result. The Pod where the mic tip goes is possibly a little too round, but I guess that's the price you pay when sculpting with bog roll tubes!:lol I can live with it...

6545-gedc0308.jpg

Last pic for today.....the helmet looks really tall in this one but I think it must be the white causing an optical illusion as I have rechecked my measurements and they are all checking out fine!

6546-gedc0309.jpg

I hope you enjoyed today's installment and I'll be back tomorrow the another update! Thanks again for all the wonderful support Guys!

Last edited:

This has inspired me .Now I'm going to make a stormtrooper Helmet that cost under $5.99 and not a penny more. Which will consist of marshmallows and pretzel sticks.

Ohhh yeah!!! I am loving this thread, it is just me hardcore budget prop making! You are going well so far for such a short time frame, must be working like a trojan!

What was the drying time like on the paper mache, when I do it it tends to stay damp for about 3 days :D
I am looking forward to the next installment.

Ohhh yeah!!! I am loving this thread, it is just me hardcore budget prop making! You are going well so far for such a short time frame, must be working like a trojan!

What was the drying time like on the paper mache, when I do it it tends to stay damp for about 3 days :D

Hi Loosewire! Thank you for your great comments, and I hope you do drop me a comment each day as the build progresses!:)

The drying time on the papier mache is about six hours. I am using PVA wood glue mixed 50/50 with water. this wood glue is STRONG and incredibly fast dying for a product of this strength. diluting it is definitely speeding up the drying time AND, although the wood glue is white, it dries clear.

Also, don't soak your newspaper beforehand. Just paint the immediate area with the water/glue mixture and paste on the dry pieces with more water/glue.
Best regards

This has inspired me .Now I'm going to make a stormtrooper Helmet that cost under $5.99 and not a penny more. Which will consist of marshmallows and pretzel sticks.

and i'm going to build one from bird spittle.

this is amazing; you have some killer talent!!

Do you know how impressed i am with this?.... Bloody......that's how much!

Top work! Puts Blue Peter to shame!

Rich

and i'm going to build one from bird spittle.

this is amazing; you have some killer talent!!

That bird spittle sets before you get the pieces together! Try diluting it 60/40 with the tears of albino squirrels.

Do you know how impressed i am with this?.... Bloody......that's how much!

Top work! Puts Blue Peter to shame!

Rich

Thanks mate:) I was thinking about telling everyone to get a "growed up" to help with the cutting out:lol

Last edited:

Most impressive... :) Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see how the finished product looks!

Re: Tutorial: How to build a stormtrooper helmet for less than 10 GBP Update!!

Hi All! Day four came and went with a late start due to it being Sunday, and that means The Grand Prix! Anyway, I still made good progress and got the other Jowl and mic tip pod constructed. As Promised, I have photographed the build process on this side to show how I have created the complicated compound curves in this area of the build.

160976-gedc0310.jpg

160986-a1.jpg

I am more than happy with the results, and when covered with papier mache, I dont feel its going to be any harder than applying Bondo to a Pepakura Helmet - possibly easier, as this helmet is already amazingly strong and light.

160987-a4.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the symmetry and spacing in this next pic.

160989-a6.jpg

160988-a5.jpg

Such has been the progress on this build, that I felt I could afford to spend the time adjusting the contours under the lens openings. These were too round and followed the contour of the dome too much. I have straightened them considerably and the result is more than I could have hoped for.

160990-a7.jpg

160991-a8.jpg

These last few pics show the helmet after I threw on two coats of white emulsion paint, just to allow me to see the contours a little better. I am happy to go to body filler tomorrow after looking at these pics.

160992-b1.jpg

160993-b2.jpg

160994-b4.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed Day 4 and I look forward to posting Day 5's progress pics. tomorrow.

Last edited:

Your junk trooper build is looking great!!!! Cant Wait to see it finished!! BEST I've seen in the history of ever!!!

I am absolutely gobsmacked at your ingenuity and creativity! carry on, mate!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back