How to give a white resin bust a Greek/Roman "stone sculpture" appearance?

The Death Curse

Hello, all!

I am curious if it's possible to take a blank, bleach white resin bust and give it a realistic paint job meant to look like a piece of stone or marble. Would this involve inks to play off the natural white surface, or would this be better interpreted in more of an opaque acrylic cover up?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

Oh, CRAP!! I forgot to check this thread after I posted it. Sorry about that, ob1al.

Thanks a lot for the response, but that's not quite what I had in mind. I am after more of an "Italian white marble" appearance, similar to ancient marble bust sculptures. Does anyone know of a way to make this happen with a bleach-white resin bust as the starting point? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

I'd try matte white paint with talc rubbed into it after it's dry, and then buffed, sealed with a matte coat and buffed again.

I have been trying something similar for a weeping angel. One of the things I am playing with is to rub the pieces in ash. It gives a dull stone appearance but isn't weatherproof.

It's going to sound stupid, but use a feather dipped in paint (acrylic) to very lightly add veins to the paint job. Your base coat can be anything, but if you are going for a gray marble effect, you might wanna try gloss black before a coat of pearlescent white, followed by the feather, and then "flicking" black or green paint onto the surface with a paintbrush.

Just... dunno how to explain it in a better term. You put a little paint on the brush and then flick it past your fingers. You can use a toothbrush if you want, you just need stiff bristles.

Basically gloss black, white, pearlescent paint, feather with gray or black or green, then flick black paint or green paint, and then another thin coat of pearescent, and then a semi gloss sealer.

Hope that helps.
Chris

Hydin....chris....would you mind posting some pics of the results you've gotten from this method... it sounds fantastic!

If I had any I'd post em :)

It's the method that my mom used waayyyy back when I was in school and she used to do painting. It's pretty easy, just a mixture of acrylics and spray paints. The hardest part was making sure not to use too much paint on the feather.

Chris

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back