Official Show off your model collection thread!

New member here. I've been a fan of the forum for a while and admire the talents and skills of the members. Here are some shots of my Fine Molds Millennium Falcon. It's pretty much OOB, but I couldn't resist putting a few extra geegaws here and there. Also, I used some PE grills on the engine deck. I tried to follow the 5' paint and weathering scheme, that's my fave.

http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/SpaceGarbagePilot/

Hope you like!

Well, I may as well introduce myself in grand style with some images of my recent model projects (I don't exactly have one of the whole collection and it is small anyway). First up is my crowning SF achievement, the Fine Molds Millennium Falcon built out of the box, but done up with the most accurate paint and weathering job I could muster. References came from several books and the Phoxim german website which had some excellent images of the ESB studio model. Battle damage scoring was done with a Dremel Mini Mite loaded up with a #105 engraving tip.

finfalcon6.jpg

finfalcon2.jpg

falcondetail1.jpg

topturret1.jpg

falconbottom6.jpg

I followed your build on the SSM site. Very inspirational. I think you saw mine? (Space Garbageman)

I followed your build on the SSM site. Very inspirational. I think you saw mine? (Space Garbageman)

Yes I did and I really liked your build since its colorings were closer to that of the 5 foot Falcon studio model after it was modified for ESB. The 109 wheel on the turret bay was a nice touch as it represented a 5 foot studio model feature also. Nice Work!

Shaw's Enterprise also looks really good as well with its small Enterprise studio model appearance. BTW Shaw, how big is your model? And by full size, do you mean you plan to tackle another 33 inch inspired model or are you going to try doing an 11 footer?

Shaw's Enterprise also looks really good as well with its small Enterprise studio model appearance. BTW Shaw, how big is your model? And by full size, do you mean you plan to tackle another 33 inch inspired model or are you going to try doing an 11 footer?
Thanks!

I'm hoping to work towards as accurate a match to the 33 inch model (including size) as possible as my skills improve and I gain experience.

The first one (pictured above) is about 22.5 inches long (two thirds the length of the near 33.75 inches of the original), as will be the second one that I'm currently working on. The size was picked because I found that when I printed out my plans at 66.6% I could make use of many of the 22 inch cutaway kit's parts and third party parts and decals, cutting down on the amount of scratch building I would have to do (in both the first and second attempts the primary hull and dorsal are completely scratch built).

The other aspect of the first build was that it let me cross check my plans against the original model while building it by doing image comparisons. I was able to find a number of errors/omissions in my first draft of the plans and will be releasing a second draft based on what I learned while building the first model.

When I started the second model I had put serious consideration into attempting a one-to-one scale (33 inch) build, but when I realized that I didn't have any place in my apartment where I could roll out the full scale plans, I decided to take another attempt at a smaller scale while fixing concessions I had made during the first build. The concessions were made because when I had started the project seemed overwhelming and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to finish if I attempted to do everything on that attempt (being the first model in a long time and extensively scratch built at that).

I'll throw together a thread on my current build (I'm about a month into it), which uses the same techniques as the first one... only better executed. It should look a lot more like the original model than my first attempt.

I haven't nailed down a method for a full size build yet. Honestly, I would love to have a one-to-one build made of the exact same materials as the original model (a kiln-dried sugar pine), but that type of thing would require more resources than I have available at this time (or can see having in the immediate future). But I think it would be nice to have at least one historically accurate version of the lost model around (though it would be even better if someone found the lost model itself).

While I absolutely love the feel of the 33 inch Enterprise, it is sort of nice in that because everyone else is obsessed with the 11 foot model no one has spent any time on this one. It is sorta like being the first person to attempt K2 while everyone else is racing to be the first atop Everest. It seems like I got this mountain to myself. :D

I haven't nailed down a method for a full size build yet. Honestly, I would love to have a one-to-one build made of the exact same materials as the original model (a kiln-dried sugar pine), but that type of thing would require more resources than I have available at this time (or can see having in the immediate future). But I think it would be nice to have at least one historically accurate version of the lost model around (though it would be even better if someone found the lost model itself).

While I absolutely love the feel of the 33 inch Enterprise, it is sort of nice in that because everyone else is obsessed with the 11 foot model no one has spent any time on this one. It is sorta like being the first person to attempt K2 while everyone else is racing to be the first atop Everest. It seems like I got this mountain to myself. :D

Well, most certainly keep us posted on the project as it sounds like a good one. You have a point about people focusing on the 11 footer as indeed the 33 inch model was different in a few key areas (most noticeable on the lower saucer with its shape and flat edge).

Funny enough, if my math is correct then if Polar Lights ever does a 1/350 classic Enterprise (as they are rumored to be doing for probably 2011), it will be about 36 inches long, assuming the 11 foot model is about 1/96 scale as I've heard quoted a couple times. As such, it might be possible to adapt some kit parts from it for a 33" build (smaller the part, the less size distortion).

Most of these models work off of Jefferies scaling... which didn't worry about real world scaling as the Enterprise was originally going to be featureless (no windows) and the only aspect showing scale would be the bridge housing. Because of that Jefferies was more concerned with getting the most out of the 24"x36" sheets he was drawing the plans on than having nice scaling (the final scale of the original plans and the 33 inch model is 1/333, which makes my model almost exactly 1/500 scale).

The future Round 2 kit will be slightly smaller than the original 33 inch model (the 1/350 scale model will be just short of 33 inches, the original model is almost 34 inches), but still pretty close. Add to that the fact that the 11 foot model wasn't a true 4x build of the original plans (the primary hull was just over 59" in diameter rather than exactly 60" as the plans called for) and it starts to make some aspects a little more off than just the slight scale difference.

I think a lot of it will depend on when the kit actually comes out and where I'm at in raising funds for a one-to-one build. If I can get enough funds together to attack this model as a solid wood build before the kit hits the shelves, I'd rather invest my time and energy into that type of project. On the other hand, if I'm short of money and the kit hits the stores sooner than later, another practice build (this time closer than before) wouldn't hurt... but I'll still be aiming for a wooden build eventually.

Well, I'm new here (and a little intimidated) but I just posted a few of my models in my gallery. : ) http://www.therpf.com/album.php?albumid=92
I've built Star Wars, Star Trek, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Battle Star Galactica, and more models. I'm currently working on redoing my ATAT and finishing a 1:24 locomotive to go with my 1:24 delorean. I wold LOVE to create a scratch built model, but haven't the time and knowledge. : (
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Nice work LA!

I haven't finished a kit in some time, but here are some finished or close to finished. (I wish I could post more than the same old ones...I guess I have to get crackin!)
icon_smile.gif

Sleepy Hollow

Bates Mansion

Rancor

USS Constellation

I'm glad this section was added! I've been visiting the RPF for over a year now, but couldn't really post anything on topic, so I kinda just read and drooled alot. Now I can post!

Thanks for the addition!

Brian

Brian,

Your Rancor looks great:thumbsup I especially like the shape of the spittle, and the color/sheen of his fingernails!

wolff

Hi everyone,

you all wanna check out my collection?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~argibay/page10.html

that's the page where it's one

Sweet Face Hugger:thumbsup I have a gk of the "Aliens" version, and I'm thinking of using Mold Builders Liquid Latex as a cover to give it that rubbery skin look, then a gloss topcoat for a wet look.... never tried it, so will have to look into it some.

Great Predators hangin' out there, too!

wolff

I don't have much displayed, other than sealed boxes, for that matter:unsure

Here's a 1:1 resin skull of a wolf I did many years ago. I wanted a wolf skull for a while, just not a real one... I added some extra detail with the Dremel, and the teeth were like a solid block instead of individual tooths and needed attention.

wolff

Well new to the forum, but I started this about 18 years ago when there was a contest for a VW Bug. But then I got married and we had kids and as of last year I finished it.......

100_1788.jpg

100_1789.jpg

100_1780.jpg

100_1757.jpg

What can I say :eek

Bud

Well done! I really love that ^ custom bug:thumbsup Had one of those in highschool, if only it would have looked like yours:lol

What can I say :eek

Bud[/QUOTE]

I love DeLoreans, I love bugs.. yours is the best of both worlds. Now, if you could only get the thing up to 88 mph,"you'd see some serious ....."

Brian has a model collection of cars, trains, and fire engines. He has 28 cars. the number of fire engines is 2 times the number of trains. He has 67 models in all. How many of each type of model does he have.

28 cars, 13 trains, and 26 fire engines. :lol

First time posting pics on this forum so be kind please.
These are my two collections of Enterprise 3-Ship sets in 1/2500 scale by AMT. I did a lot of work to accurize them.
TOS, A, and D:
AMT3ShipSetTOS-A-D026.jpg

AMT3ShipSetTOS-A-D030.jpg

EntD1-2500AMT3shipset025.jpg

B, C, and E:
AMT3ShipSetB-C-E009.jpg

AMT3ShipSetB-C-E005.jpg

EntC1-2500AMT3shipset003.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back