Doctor Who: K-9 that tin dog build

CGClone

Sr Member
Always had an infinity for the loveable K-9 ever since my father used to make me watch Doctor Who back in the 80s with Baker as the Doctor on PBS.

I hated Davros, he used to freak me out, but K-9 was always cool, witty and someone you liked. So I set out to build my own remote controlled pup.

Here are some progression photos to show where I am at as of now.

K9HeadStructure061311.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg

k9body1.jpg

k9body2.jpg

k9body3.jpg

Obviously still have to skin the head and the top of his back. Reinforce the interior joints and complete the removable door which will be held on with magnets and joints.

I have the scooter motors, wheels, chain, etc. His remote brain is the Sabertooth 2x25 motor controller being controlled by a Spektrum D6 taken from my plane setup.

His ears will turn and his tail will wag. The top panel will have lights, a monitor in the side and of course his eyes will light up.

Not being put into this build at the moment, but later are the suction cup moving out and head moving up and down, those will remain static until after DragonCon.

Ill post more progress after the holiday weekend. Hope you like!

That certainly sounds doable. Are you in the US? Go ahead and order 5' and when you get it, cut it down to two 2.5' sections and PM me. I'll take half of it!

Some further updates here:

Head is near completion, just refinements and ear installed. Head with the ear servo:

k90718113.jpg

k90718112.jpg

k90718118.jpg

k90718117.jpg

Tail servo mech:
k90718115.jpg

k90718114.jpg

Back ready to be skinned:
k90718111.jpg

Control Panel ready for back after its skinned:
k90718116.jpg

Hope to have him ready for primer this up coming weekend.

I tried to find those plans but the site is off line can you help a dude out? I built a full sized B9 Robot from Lost in Space but had to sell him so now I would love to build this guy. He's less money and takes up less room!

Hint google Dave Everrett Styrene plans,and seach through the sites,i found them last night,if CGclone doen't want to put a direct link,then i'm gonna follow that lead,another hint,look for a K9 build just like this (exactly like this maybe),follow some links and you will find them

Has anyone been able to find the proper diameter rubber neck piece? I've been told that it's 5.25" in diameter, and that it might have been an old tractor part.

Anyone know of a source for accurate K-9 necks?

Hint google Dave Everrett Styrene plans,and seach through the sites,i found them last night,if CGclone doen't want to put a direct link,then i'm gonna follow that lead,another hint,look for a K9 build just like this (exactly like this maybe),follow some links and you will find them

thanks for the hint ,i found that site the other day.but could not find the link for the plans.got them now:thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back