Captain America's (TFA) boots...what are they?

The buckle top on those boots is a separate piece stitched on and is the one from the M43 bucket boots.

In WWII the Service shoe went through gradual changes from russet leather, then rough out with the same toe design but single piece rubber sole, then simple toe design then the buckle top "M43". The M43 boot wan't a new design but basically the previous with the cuff attached. The thing applicable here is that the rought out service shoes were retrofitted with the bucket top, ie the got older boots and attached the buckle top.

Ok, that deals with the buckle top but what are the boots?

The answer is rough out USMC boots, circa Korean War.

U.S. Militaria Forum > USMC Rough Out Boots + Vietnam Boots

Downside is they aren't cheap.

Can I take a bow, please?

The buckle top on those boots is a separate piece stitched on and is the one from the M43 bucket boots.

In WWII the Service shoe went through gradual changes from russet leather, then rough out with the same toe design but single piece rubber sole, then simple toe design then the buckle top "M43". The M43 boot wan't a new design but basically the previous with the cuff attached. The thing applicable here is that the rought out service shoes were retrofitted with the bucket top, ie the got older boots and attached the buckle top.

Agreed.

Ok, that deals with the buckle top but what are the boots?

The answer is rough out USMC boots, circa Korean War.

U.S. Militaria Forum > USMC Rough Out Boots + Vietnam Boots

Downside is they aren't cheap.

Can I take a bow, please?

Not just yet. ;)

While that Rough Out Boot looks similar with the lace hooks, they are missing the toe cap and only have 4 eyelets rather than 5.

The more I have looked, the more I think that the boot started as a toe cap service boot, that had the eye hooks and double buckle added. Even the "paratrooper" boot is not a good base because it has a beveled heel, while CA's boot has a straight heel.

Those boots are clearly rought out leather, though.
The issue with militaria is that there's differences, not all corcoran jumpboots were the same height or had the same number of eyelets for instance.

Btw, the chamfered heel is an easy fix, they sell replacements for the first pattern garrison shoe which is a low version of the para boot, or rather the para boot is a tall version of the garrison shoe which has a square heel.

Here's a close up of a screen used boot. I've touched it. It's not a rough-out boot.

P1000071.jpg

Ah, jeez, I know what they are, those are the godawful At The Front US Paratrooper boots. Yes, some of the eyelets have been replaced by hooks.

I used to have a pair until I discovered they looked a bit off next to the real thing. The cuff at the top is from a M43 spec Service shoe.

Those boots are clearly rought out leather, though.
If you are far from the CSM your boots would look like rough out leather after a couple of days in the field.
I never wore my jump boots in the field but my leg boots would always look like that after a couple of days.

And yes Corcorans are great looking boots, last forever but other than that not much use in the field and they take forever to break in.

If you are far from the CSM your boots would look like rough out leather after a couple of days in the field.
I never wore my jump boots in the field but my leg boots would always look like that after a couple of days.

And yes Corcorans are great looking boots, last forever but other than that not much use in the field and they take forever to break in.

I think mine took about a week to break in but you have to remember, not all Jumpboots are created equally.

The ones in the film have no internal re-inforcing on the sides told by the two lines of stitching, the only ones reproduced like that are the ATF ones. WWII Imp ones are clown shoe looking things, the Sturm/Mil-tec ones are just pants and the only decent ones are, funnily, made by Corcoran...

Amazon.com: Corcoran - Mens - 10" Historic Military Brown Jump Boot: Shoes

In the UK the Corcoran Brand ones are gotten from here... Soldier of Fortune and are the ones code AG141 priced at £120. The cheaper ones are the Sturm.

If you want the best boots then Corcoran, if you want the ones from the film then U.S. Paratrooper Jump Boots

Obviously, replace sone eyelets for hooks and get the buckle tope either from a knackered old pair of M43 boots on ebay (hopefully repro!!!) or you can get a pair of french buckle boots and remove the cuff from those, which is a good mod to make if you want to use the french boots without looking like a weirdo.... FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION INDOCHINA PARATROOPER VIETNAM BROWN DOUBLE BUCKLE BOOTS | eBay
In Scottish money you can get those for about £20.

Seems you have solved the formula. The idea of cutting the top from the French boots is excellent and you have a good pair of work boots left over.
I hate to say but I bought my Corcorans new back when they were $49 US.

For the boot hooks wonder if there is a Chicago screw with a hook. The jump boots are correct for the rescue and ultimate WW2 uniform but I wouldn't want the hooks under the leggings.

Seems you have solved the formula. The idea of cutting the top from the French boots is excellent and you have a good pair of work boots left over.
I hate to say but I bought my Corcorans new back when they were $49 US.

For the boot hooks wonder if there is a Chicago screw with a hook. The jump boots are correct for the rescue and ultimate WW2 uniform but I wouldn't want the hooks under the leggings.

I had a hook put back on a hiking boot by a cobbler so that's the men to do it.

Need to add a toe cap and lace hooks also the cuff is too low on the boot.
Easier to get jump boots, add lace hooks and make the leather cuff.

TFABootscomp.jpg

Last edited:
C.L. Glad I could help.

A picture is worth a thousand words and I'm not that good with words.

The danger is I will have no excuse, other than being lazy, for not having the correct boots when I finish the TFA Hero uniform.

Corcorans. I am biased, have two pairs.

I have never worn the At the Front boots but have done business with them. They are a good company and their stuff was quality.

I would stay away from side zipper boots. The look is wrong.
The only zipper boots I have had are the old zip front flight boots.... which I loved.

Corcorans. I am biased, have two pairs.

I have never worn the At the Front boots but have done business with them. They are a good company and their stuff was quality.

I would stay away from side zipper boots. The look is wrong.
The only zipper boots I have had are the old zip front flight boots.... which I loved.

Yeah, they don't look right as far as film accuracy, but no one notices the zippers on the insides... and it SOOOOO much easier to take on and off when I'm doing charity events or cons and such. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back