Marty McFly 1985 costume, where is it now?

Is the jacket itself excluding the shoulder pieces grey or light blue? I can't decide. I'm on a project to make a custom one by splicing two guess jackets together and I need to remove the original color of the denim and redye it. I just can't tell the exact color.

i'm trying to find a few button references. Does anyone know the colour of Marty's jean jacket buttons, were they more of a gold or more dark brass? We're they also the same colour as the burnt orange puffer buttons? It's hard to work out the exact colour because of the different lighting in pictures. Also trying to work out the size of the buttons on both puffer and jean jacket, 15mm 16mm 17mm? Positions of the buttons and how many were on each jacket. Be a good reference for those wishing to make their own. If anyone can help, that would be great. We're there any logos on the buttons?
Charlie

Both versions I have of the correct Guess pattern feature plain brass snaps. Later versions without the square pockets may have a G on there, I do not know. I believe there is a b&w high-res out there of Marty with the Chiquita that proves the movie jacket had plain snaps. I'll get you some measurements when I find the ruler.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Only five buttons down the front of both jacket and vest on the correct sizes for the film. The Class-5 vest has brighter brass snaps with their logo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 197
Gah! Who won this "Teen Beat" lot? Anyone on here? I would love to see what the inner lining (old Hollywood stars) looks like. I believe an earlier post said that there are pictures of it inside that issue.

E
DIT: nm, not suppsed to post ebay links...It was a lot of 1985 Teen Beat magazines, including the Michael J Fox issue with his Marty jean jacket. I wish I had seen the auction at the time.

Is the jacket itself excluding the shoulder pieces grey or light blue? I can't decide. I'm on a project to make a custom one by splicing two guess jackets together and I need to remove the original color of the denim and redye it. I just can't tell the exact color.

It's actually stone-washed dark blue. Take a look at TheRealMcFly's photo above, it has good detail. I have a jacket in the same color, and if you look closely, you can tell it was dyed a very dark blue, and then stonewashed to give it the uneven lighter look. That's why there's such division on this issue, it was such a dark shade of blue that it looks somewhat gray after being distressed, especially after being photographed in different light, so some folks make totally gray replicas (like making a jacket from the more commonly-available gray Guess Marciano with black leather on the shoulders), and some make them too blue (like Headgoonie's).

Gah! Who won this "Teen Beat" lot? Anyone on here? I would love to see what the inner lining (old Hollywood stars) looks like. I believe an earlier post said that there are pictures of it inside that issue.

E
DIT: nm, not suppsed to post ebay links...It was a lot of 1985 Teen Beat magazines, including the Michael J Fox issue with his Marty jean jacket. I wish I had seen the auction at the time.

I have this magazine. There are no more photos of the lining on the inside, the best photo is the one on the cover. Here is a photo as clear as I can get it. Headgoonie has done a pretty good job reproducing the inner lining.

Photo Feb 07, 4 30 56 PM.jpg

Kevincupp. I am going to have to disagree with you on the color of the McFly jacket. The base color of the jacket is an acid washed black down to grey. It is not blue.

Last edited:
Kevincupp. I am going to have to disagree with you on the color of the McFly jacket. The base color of the jacket is an acid washed black down to grey. It is not blue.

I spent a lot of time analyzing the colors of the jacket compared to other guess jackets I have.

Ok, we'll agree to disagree then. I also have a couple of Guess jackets with the same color scheme. It's very subtle, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Definitely a grey jacket. I'll get a close up photo of mine in natural light this weekend. To my knowledge still no one has found one with the correct lining.

Definitely a grey jacket. I'll get a close up photo of mine in natural light this weekend. To my knowledge still no one has found one with the correct lining.

That'd be great to see, be sure to set an accurate white balance. From there, we can get the RGB values from the photo and get an objective measurement. I can take a photo too if needed. The key is to look at the dark spots where it hasn't been stone washed to get the accurate base color. Like I said, the blue is very dark and subtle, so that's why there's much division on this and replicas are all over the place.

As for the lining, I'm pretty sure the consensus is that the costume designers added it, so I doubt anyone will find it. Magnoli makes a pretty good replication of the paisley lining, and Headgoonie went to great measures to reproduce the movie start lining. I'd say those are your best sources for them.

That'd be great to see, be sure to set an accurate white balance. From there, we can get the RGB values from the photo and get an objective measurement. I can take a photo too if needed. The key is to look at the dark spots where it hasn't been stone washed to get the accurate base color. Like I said, the blue is very dark and subtle, so that's why there's much division on this and replicas are all over the place.

To what end? Any faded black denim will have a color to it, the dyes themselves when lightened can reveal an indigo tint. Are you trying to construct a new replica?

To what end? Any faded black denim will have a color to it, the dyes themselves when lightened can reveal an indigo tint. Are you trying to construct a new replica?

To what end? For the purposes of the discussion, I thought. You're the one who offered. But yes I'd like to construct a new replica eventually.

Interesting to hear about the dye color. I have an old faded black denim jacket that hasn't turned blue yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back