Marty McFly 1985 costume, where is it now?

lol I had the same problem for a while too, until I figured it out. Look behind the blue 'do your thing' sign on the left, not the yellow one on the right.

Has anyone considered the jacket may be a knock off? I know many wardrobe people will hit downtown LA/Chinatown and various swapmeets for items and have been doing so since before any of us here were born. Anyone old enough to have been a teenager in the 80's in LA should know about these areas whether you went for Doc's, leather's, GO GO, Frankie Say or any other style that was popular at that time. Most have dried up publicly due to crack downs but back then anything was seemingly fair game.

Another thing, I still have my jeans and jacket from the 80's and in fact, was just wearing a pair of those jeans today. That would make them at least 25 years old. I know that because when you buy any two pairs of Levi corduroys you get a free bill fold. Denim does hold up over the years. As already mentioned odds are someone wore the clothes until they went out of style and ended up being bleached or dyed with RID then tossed.

If you dig through the discussion that Vivek posted the guy who posted a true vintage photo of himself wearing his said he got it at an outlet. Perhaps Guess like other brands offers outlet only merchandise that would not have been as well documented as their full priced line.

These are the two close enough versions, both Guess brand. They've got some wear but are holding up just fine.

photo-18.jpg

Has anyone considered the jacket may be a knock off? I know many wardrobe people will hit downtown LA/Chinatown and various swapmeets for items and have been doing so since before any of us here were born. Anyone old enough to have been a teenager in the 80's in LA should know about these areas whether you went for Doc's, leather's, GO GO, Frankie Say or any other style that was popular at that time. Most have dried up publicly due to crack downs but back then anything was seemingly fair game.

Another thing, I still have my jeans and jacket from the 80's and in fact, was just wearing a pair of those jeans today. That would make them at least 25 years old. I know that because when you buy any two pairs of Levi corduroys you get a free bill fold. Denim does hold up over the years. As already mentioned odds are someone wore the clothes until they went out of style and ended up being bleached or dyed with RID then tossed.

thats a fair comment , has always been knock off replicas of any popular brand , im sure there was some of these around , like you say the wardrobe people hit up all sorts of places to get what they need

I posted the Teen Beat contest find over at BTTF.com - It was by freak luck I noticed the mag in 1984 at Kroger while waiting for my grandmother to finish shopping - MJF was on the cover holding the jacket open below a splash stating "win Marty's Jacket" - on the inside, there were two great ppics of the jakt laid out on a table (or bed) showing the inside was altered with a silk material patterned with pics of old movie stars (Monroe, Chaplin, Bogart) - i've noticed all of the "GUESS" labels are removed from the one Marty used in the movie (as well as the triangle on the back pocket of his pants) so the jacket could have went through the same treatment - many Guess bomber jackets have GUESS written fairly large on the inside of the jacket (one with a illustration of a man kicking a football) so, the tweaked interior could have been placed there to cover it.

Also, and I know I'm going to get all kinds of hell for this, the dummy from BTTF part 2 used in the Blast from the Past window display was still at the Universal prop house in 1992. I saw it standing right next to the BIFF statue (that stood outside the Courthouse/Tannan museum. I actually did try and get a look at the shoes - hoping they were the future sneakers, but it wasn't wearing any. The Jacket sleeve was pulled back enough to see that the paisley pattern on the cuffs only extended halfway up the sleeve and was tacked on in a way that looked like a studio augment - lots of extra spill of material past where it was sewn. I'm pretty sure it was done in house and not by Guess. These changes may be why Guess didn't recognize the Jacket.

I remember reading somewhere on the bttf.com forums that a guy was lucky enough to be allowed to around the universal costume stock rooms back in the late 80s and low and behold there was Marty's denim jacket on a mannequin. He said it looked fairly battered and showed a lot of wear. He believed it to be the stuntman's jacket. I'll try to find the original post if I can!

as for the original screenused jacket, knowing Universal if they treat original costumes like they have the original screenused deloreans, it would of been left to rot and chucked away or maybe taken home by one of the employees most likely :(

I remember reading somewhere on the bttf.com forums that a guy was lucky enough to be allowed to around the universal costume stock rooms back in the late 80s and low and behold there was Marty's denim jacket on a mannequin. He said it looked fairly battered and showed a lot of wear. He believed it to be the stuntman's jacket. I'll try to find the original post if I can!
That's Paul, username Jet Beetle. He shared that information on the BTTF.com forums and also mentioned it here 6 posts above your post :).

And I have mentioned the BTTF.com thread link on page 1 of this thread.

That was me - and it wasn't the late 80's it was more like the mid 90's. All of the BTTF stuff was just laying around in the prop house back then including Doc's Mind Read Machine, the Litter Bug, USAToday future thing that took the pic of Griff and his gang, The Plutonium Case with the water cylinders inside, Biff Mannequin (the one outside the Biff Tanned Museum) and at least 30 hoverboards in various states of condition - Most of the stuff was on the second floor and being a PA at Dreamworks we used to go mess around in the prop house all the time - not sure how hard it would have been to get some of the smaller things out of there. Marty's Jacket wasn't all that damaged - surely good enough to display with pride. It had the "Hollywood" inner lining and the Paisley or Amoeba sleeves were definitely added to the original jacket as there was a little fraying happening around the seams.I wanted the jacket, but there were just too many people who would have busted me. Sigh. If only I had Indy or Lupin balls.

Sorry guys, I was posting from my iphone and sometimes i miss bits of posts haha. Well that's good to hear that it was in fairly good condition when you last saw it. I wonder if its still been looked after...

Hey everyone,
I'm Adam, long long time BTTF die-hard (and post over at bttf.com under the same user name), first time poster here, but long time lurker. Anyway...

I just saw this thread in a google search and felt compelled to offer a couple of tidbits of info I have learned in my research.

First off, the down vest, I'm as clueless as anyone! I've looked and looked, and looked some more for the better part of 5 years now and have found a lot of close calls, but nothing 100%. So I'm totally in the dark on that one.

The denim jacket though, I've got a little more info on. :cool

First things first, I know of at least 5 of this jacket being in existence...I think.

At the VERY least 2 were used in making the films for sure, however like any film it's safe to assume many were used. We know of at least two though because one was given away by Teen Beat magazine in September 1985, years before BTTF2 was made, and we clearly see one in the antique store window.

A couple of side notes, the Guess jeans and jacket used in the film were not used as product placement! This is why the Guess logos we're removed from the jacket pocket and back of the jeans. The same with the Nike logo being removed from the Nike Bruin's tongue as well as the back of the shoe.

This is important info, because it removes these companies from being any assistance to us, as (at the time) they probably weren't even aware their products were used in one of the most famous movies of all time, and as such probably didn't keep any records.

The next thing I should point out: BTTF was clearly shot with some kind of light filter. I own many original BTTF film exact items (Valterra skateboard, Nike Bruins, acid wash Guess jeans, etc.) and NONE of them look exactly like they do on screen, it's very obvious the color has been filtered somehow. I feel this is relevant info, because all the other versions of this jacket that have been located do not appear to match the one used on screen, but I'm positive the ones found are the correct jacket.

Another thing I should make note of, is that Michael J Fox's wardrobe had to be quickly styled, because there was very little time between shooting with Eric Stoltz and when Michael took over. This tells us that if these items were all in fact store bought, then they were all purchased in early 1985.

With that said, it's picture time!
6214963823_8f8e7e0217_b.jpg

(From L to R)
1. Marty's film used jacket...we're all painfully aware.

2. The jacket found on ebay by BTTF.com member Gamester. The original owner of this jacket purchased it while on vacation in 1985 at a Guess outlet store in get this, Puerta Vuallarta, Mexico of all places! More on that later...

3. This photo taken in 1985 was posted by a BTTF.com member named Matt, who purchased this at a southern California Guess outlet store in '85 and no longer owns at it, but did at one time, helping to further prove it's existence as something once available at retail.

4. This is a screenshot from the TV show Facts of Life, the episode it's from originally aired in Nov 1985 again confirming it was at least made or available in 1985. I will also add that when I first made this discovery I contacted the costume designer, and explained my interest to her and she told me that while she couldn't recall exactly where she had acquired the jacket that she would have bought it at retail, and that it was not the same one used in BTTF.

SO...with that knowledge, we can determine a few things rather conclusively I'd say. It DID exist at regular retail in 1985, BTTF's film color has been filtered somehow, and the jacket was altered for the film as it is the only one with a lining.

Here's where I've discovered something a little bit interesting though.... :love

Where did BTTF shoot...California
Where did Facts of Life shoot...California
Where did Matt find his jacket...California
Where did the ebay jacket come from...Mexico, which borders...California

The two we know of from normal people were both found in outlet stores, Guess has no record of this jacket, and it seems to be WAY harder to find than almost any other similar Guess jacket from the time. Strange right? Well now check out, exhibit B:
6215035393_18bc640628_b.jpg

On the left we have the tag from an inverted color jacket with leather accents, otherwise exact same model, and on the right the tag of the correct jacket, notice anything odd? How about that it's not just "made in Mexico" but that it's "Hecho en Mexico"?! We having fun yet? haha

It's started to become clear to me lately that this jacket did exist in some limited quantities but that it probably never hit regular retail, because it was exclusive to the Mexico/Southern California region. This would possibly explain why we never see them showing up for sale in the US, and the one time we did it was picked up in a vacation from Mexico, because it's a Mexican jacket. Which is a big part of the problem in locating one, Mexico isn't like the US. People don't have an obsession with nostalgia and vintage clothing items like we do. As far as I'm aware of, they don't even have an ebay equivalent! So for all we know there could be handfuls of these things scattered around Mexican thrift stores, flea markets, etc. and none of us would know it.

So, that's all I got! I hope this post was informative and helpful to those that want this jacket as badly as I do, and I hope someone can turn up a copy of that 9/85 Teen Beat magazine, because I would love to know if it still has the tag in that jacket and if it was also "Hecho en Mexico" to help prove my theory.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back