HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

73f0b95e3f5c4d467a97b0f47da639ff.jpg

Thi sis the silver rub n buff frame...it looks better in the flesh than photos, the print lines look ok as machined ally and this effect saved a lot of sanding ,....lol...

I've assembled the main components using hot glue, as this gives me the ability to dis assemble it for upgrades later on ....I'm just too impatient to get a complete ish HAL at the moment.

96283935cb01f854a8896fb21315b7f8.jpg

The led ive tot from the fake camera is a flashing one, so when a replacement non flashing led arrives from eBay I'll finalise the electrics .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know where I can source an accurate sticker or even plate for the HAL 9000 logo for the prop? I'm good with everything else for my current project, but will need the logo in some fashion later.

IMHO, a key element to making a good looking HAL 9000 panel is the lens. The lens options are the hardest part and the lens must protrude in true fisheye fashion. Options for correct size, good looking and inexpensive camera lens are few and far between. When you search eBay for fisheye lens, you end up with a lot of flat faced "fisheye" lens. The term "fisheye lens" describes the shape, maybe more-so, than the view. But I digress...

The Thingiverse build uses clear plastic Christmas ornaments which works and seems to work well from pictures ... but ... I really like the look of glass and especially the look of a multi-coated lens. Note that I'm interested in close, not necessarily 100% screen accurate.

As such I've done a LOT of searching and found glass lenses for LED lights that may be of interest to you all. Search eBay for " led lens (reflector, glass) (65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74) -microscope " (If you want to tighten the search for fewer sizes, delete the sizes you don't want from the above search string). I cannot tell for sure if the flat side of the lens is truly flat or a bit concave but the front portion looks to be close or even ideal. The best part is that they are cheap.

eBay item number:232906649140 has a particularly good chart of the lens dimensions. Per the chart, here are the dimensions:
- The 74mm diameter lens has a curved area that is 69mm wide (2.5mm flange on each side) and has a height of 21mm (not including the flange height ... 25mm with flange height).
- The 77mm diameter lens has a curved area that is 69mm wide (4.0mm flange on each side) and has a height of 18mm (not including the flange height ... 22mm with flange height).
- The 67mm diameter lens has a curved area that is 61mm wide (3.0mm flange on each side) and has a height of 17.5mm (not including the flange height ... 22mm with flange height).
NOTE: the above may not apply to all lenses offered on eBay. Also, wider angle beams are shorter lens height.

Some come with lens, reflector collimator base and a base mounting ring. The mounting ring may be handy especially if painted black. Search eBay for " led lens bracket (reflector, glass) (65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74) -microscope "

I then searched for short lenses that can be installed behind the LED lens found above. A short lense is desirable when you don't want the panel to have a lot of depth (for some reason, the wife doesn't want a hole in the wall for the lens rear protrusion). There are "pancake lens" and prime lenses can be relatively short but the lense that may work the best are "enlarger lens". I have one from a Vivitar enlarger that is 25mm/1" long. Another option is to buy a damaged or cheap lens and use it for parts.

I ordered eBay item#: 222391255364. I can follow up when I get this but it will be a while before it arrives from China. I also considered eBay item number:372312503331 but it may be too wide.

I wanted to post this for the community to see where the community can take this. There is some really amazing talent herein. Maybe someone knows
- a good way to give the clear glass a multi-coated lens treatment look
- some suggestions to build up a lens look under the LED lens.

BTW ... for the black anodized panel look, I think I'll use "black anodized aluminum" car vinyl wrap in over the base material (plastic. wood, metal, etc).

Now for the kudos:

This thread contains some amazing work ... THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Also, there is good work building off this at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1805762 ... THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My build uses a plastic lens, and it just lacks the gloss that a real lens gives .
I'm really keen to find a low price real glass alternative .
Thanks for the research !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

many of the original file links in the original post are broken, can anyone refresh them? In particular, the BluRay screen captures would be nice for a baseline reference

IMHO, a key element to making a good looking HAL 9000 panel is the lens. The lens options are the hardest part and the lens must protrude in true fisheye fashion. Options for correct size, good looking and inexpensive camera lens are few and far between. When you search eBay for fisheye lens, you end up with a lot of flat faced "fisheye" lens. The term "fisheye lens" describes the shape, maybe more-so, than the view. But I digress...
I agree. I randomly bought this vintage slide projector off craigslist. As I was dissembling it I noticed the large glass lens on the inside was a perfect HAL lens. It slipped right into my housing! And yes, glass makes a real difference.

Attachments

• 3HK8Y69KTp2G3gPZsLcwdg.jpg
    3HK8Y69KTp2G3gPZsLcwdg.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 387
  • 3C27953A-C9A9-4CDE-99F3-90588312B806.jpg
    3C27953A-C9A9-4CDE-99F3-90588312B806.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 367
I agree. I randomly bought this vintage slide projector off craigslist. As I was dissembling it I noticed the large glass lens on the inside was a perfect HAL lens. It slipped right into my housing! And yes, glass makes a real difference.
Brilliant

Wow!
What incredible work, thanks so much for this, I'm trying build one from scratch myself.
I came across an Adam Savage video
where it seems the items at auction you mentioned was purchased by Director Peter Jackson. In the video he even has the Brain Key prop, which was machined from metal. Hals decal is slightly worn as you described too.
I notice a lot of disparity regarding the dimensions of the speaker grill, even in the movie sometimes the height seems to change from scene to scene.
Anyways thanks again.

PB

I'm not an expert, but I believe the HAL shown in this video is commonly called the Prototype. The grill is shorter than what is shown on screen.

I'm actually rebuilding parts of mine. Specifically I redesigned the Ring system to hold my glass lens. I'll be printing in SLA so it's much smoother, and I included the engraved lettering right in the model. Here's a test print. I plan on filling the letters with white paint so I don't need to use a sticker for the lettering. This one is messy because I'm testing the results a bit.

Attachments

• PoGSfMDtRmm4o3FGOUskMg.jpg
    PoGSfMDtRmm4o3FGOUskMg.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but I believe the HAL shown in this video is commonly called the Prototype. The grill is shorter than what is shown on screen.

I'm actually rebuilding parts of mine. Specifically I redesigned the Ring system to hold my glass lens. I'll be printing in SLA so it's much smoother, and I included the engraved lettering right in the model. Here's a test print. I plan on filling the letters with white paint so I don't need to use a sticker together the lettering. This one is messy because I'm testing the results a bit.
Fantastic!
Yes I believe you are correct the grill in Peter Jackson's one is shorter than the one they actually went with, although if you watch 2010 Sal looks more like the prototype.
Your brilliant tip regarding the projector had me searching for one, and I think I found and 85mm lens like you had in your vintage projector. I posed the question to the member by the handle Wannb, if this was indeed 85mm across, to be close to the 82mm Nikor lens. Your one seems to be 85mm also.
Brilliant work on the engraving!

PB

Attachments

• s-l1600 3.jpg
    s-l1600 3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 126
  • s-l1600 4.jpg
    s-l1600 4.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 143
  • s-l1600 5.jpg
    s-l1600 5.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 141
  • tumblr_og5hh6vLWd1vy747uo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_og5hh6vLWd1vy747uo1_400.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Fantastic!
Yes I believe you are correct the grill in Ptere Jackson's one is shorter than the one they actually went with, although if you watch 2010 Sal looks more like the prototype.
Your brilliant tip regarding the projector had me searching for one, and I think I found and 85mm lens like you had in your vintage projector. I posed the question to the member by the handle Wannb, if this was indeed 85mm across, to be close to the 82mm Nikor lens. Your one seems to be 85mm also.
Brilliant work on the engraving!

PB
To be clear, the glass lens I pulled from the projector is 70mm across. The Thingiverse ring takes a 68.5mm lens (from an acrylic ball). I rebuilt my ring to accommodate this slightly larger glass lens.

Attachments

• IMG_3664.jpeg
    IMG_3664.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3666.jpeg
    IMG_3666.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Hi Valor,
Thanks for clearing that up, I purchased the projector that you see in the pics from earlier, so perhaps it will be 70mm glass like your Realist 400 projector, and I also bought the Moebius kit in a moment of weakness. Also, I bought a cheap 82mm macro lens filter from Ebay (China, so I should have it in 3 - 6 months lol)

Let the build party begin!
Thanks again.

PB

Attachments

• s-l1600 2.jpg
    s-l1600 2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 118
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 132
  • jm.jpg
    jm.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 138

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back