HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

AP333's HAL is lovely but the new replica is not related to that one. The Artifactory HAL springs from original research that I began in 2006

http://www.therpf.com/f9/hal-9000-2001-space-odyssey-2089/

This came to fruition as the SD Studios HAL in late 2011.

Since then the blueprints were revised based on the original studio blueprint, so the new replica is as accurate as is possible.

Karl

Hrm. I thought the SD Studios run was going to be the be-all, end-all replica run. Guess not. :rolleyes:

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //

Well, I must say, that has to be one of the best pieces of fabrication I have seen in a long time. Immaculate design and construction backed up by painstaking research. I only wish I had your talents sir.

Only one question...

Does it talk to you and try to kill you yet?

I'd love to get one of these and hook up a Rasberry Pi and an IR sensor to it. As soon as anyone walks by, it would play back a phrase from the movies.

Since then the blueprints were revised based on the original studio blueprint, so the new replica is as accurate as is possible.

Karl

ARTIFACTORY HAL info text said:
"The most movie-accurate HAL 9000 replica ever created.
Based on the blueprints and studio files from the 1968 movie (keep in mind the prop was made before the movie release, hence the blueprints were from 1967).
....recreated directly from the original 1967 studio blueprints!"
Dimensions: 13.6" x 4.6" x 1.125" (exact to the movie blueprints)

Wow ...that's very interesting !
There must be a really good story behind the finding of the original blueprints.
Especially since Kubrick ordered to destroy most of the props and documents.

I'm sure there are plenty of members and potential buyers, who would like to hear about it and see some findings that support this statement regarding accuracy.
(I'm aware, the blueprints won't be published, since they are for a commercial use,
but a blurry, distorted or black out excerpt of it would be awesome.

And I would be very pleased to see something , that disproves my investigated dimensions
(13.5" x 4.5" x 0.5") and states that there are deviations from the Prototype-HAL dimensions,too
(11.75" x 4.5" x 0.5")

looking forward to see some epic discoveries!
AP~

Last edited:
Hi AP,

Sorry to have hijacked your thread!

In fact the blueprint was published in the book "2001: The Lost Science" by Adam K. Johnson. HAL is actually 13-5/8” tall by 4-9/16” wide (the numbers in the Artifactory promotional material are rounded to the nearest decimal).

I don't think anyone has actually pinned down where the "prototype HAL" panel came from. I don't think it appears anywhere in the film.

Best,

Karl

I have a HUGE favor to ask you have provided thumb nails and images and pdf's I am have been working on Modding the front of my computer case and scaling up your wonderfull work to the size I need, I am now at the point where I need to send parts off to the 3d printer and water jet at the local shop I am not a CAD or soild works person but if you would allow me to have access to your cad/soild works files I am sure I could scale them up to the size I need and shave months off my project, if you say no I will understand but it never hurts to ask.

My Computer case is a Mountmods Pinn 24 with the front panel being inverted and remade out of alum

I'm a little late to the party, but any chance someone has an STL of the lens parts in the fantastic eDrawing attached here? This is a really great build. Dying to put my own together.

Last edited:
As to the mystery grille material. That pattern jogged my memory. The pattern looks just like the speaker grille pattern on the Bell System 108AAW "Speakerphone". I looked it up here: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/hcEAAOxyUgtTKejb/$_57.JPG.

The aspect ratio is 24 holes x 14 holes, but their spatial relationship looks similar.

Frank

I saw this machine early this spring in Spain. It looks very Hal to me

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441545722.494558.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1441545759.561571.jpg

It's been mentioned in this thread about some replicas with different dimensions. If it looks wider than the original, then it's based more on the 2010 movie. In 2001, the HAL "screens" were square because they used rear projection. In 2010, they used actual CRTs (TVs), and those are a little wider. The HAL interface was widened to have the same size ratio in relation to the screens.

3D Printed HAL 9000 Build

HAL 9000.jpg
I did a mostly 3D printed build of HAL 9000 using AP 333's great research in this thread. I posted my files and a guide for the build process on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1805762

It is not 100% accurate (in the interest of keeping the build process simple), but it's a quick and cheap way of making a fairly accurate replica. If anyone is thinking of doing a 3D printed HAL 9000 build, I hope this helps!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back