$1 store toy gun prop hybrids

You have a steampunk dollar store? I WANT ONE OF THOSE!! :lol

Seriously, the shotgun is amazing. I might have to buy that cheapo airsoft shotgun I was looking at and steampunk it now..

You just added another "idea" to my growing list...

I love the paint and finish! Quality stuff all around. The decorations and greek letters are particularly inspired. And great bang for the buck!

These crits are only as a gun person, and may or may not be relevant to what you are making.

1st my fave: Revolver with hose-connector silencer. The only things I don't like with this guy are the two screws up top that keep you from aiming and jam up the Iver-Johnson style top break. I would also remove the screw from the silencer and replace it with a needle or something equivalent for a nice front sight.

2nd: Shotgun with stock removed and replaced with automatic handgun. Pretty cool. The slide is strange and out of place and none of the barrels line up with it considering you turned the tube magazine into a 2nd barrel right?. If it's a kind of raygun thing all I would say is hide the magazine, destroy the slide and add a foregrip. I'm guessing you ripped the foregrip off the shotgun? Modify that and it should still fit pretty good thematically.

3rd: Front half of rifle attached to top of automatic handgun. This one needs the most work. It's got way to much modern stuff, the scope, the automatic slide. Other fundamental problems like the barrels not lining up or that firing the handgun part would wreck the rifle barrel. Honestly for a rifle/carbine kind of approach I think this guy would be better served by cracking the thing back into it's separate halves and putting it back together similar to your shotgun mod.

My biggest piece of advice is to remove the automatics slides and fancy high capacity magazines before doing anything with them. They just don't fit in anything pre-1900 and look too distinctive to not stick out like a sore thumb. And if you leave them there as functional parts, it starts to get pretty strange when barrels don't line up or seem to be 3x the caliber of your rounds.

And this is why I don't work with gun props.... LOL :lol cuz I don't **** about guns. But interesting insights all the same. Thanks.

That metallic finish looks great. Care to share what you did?

Actually.... I have no idea... exactly. :lol

There are so many darn ways to get faux metal finishes and then distress them.

Generally I use a variety of spray paints, mixing and matching base colors with metallics to get the look I need. I then go in acrylic inks (in washes) to accent the work.

Depending upon the look of the metal, I use FW inks - antelope brown, sepia, burnt sienna, etc and marine blue... which is essential for giving a tarnished look to faux steel. Just make sure you use it (layer it) in very light washes.

I use brushes, both new as well as scuffed up & sh*tty ones as they given cool random detail in stipple action. I also use an orange sponge, used in make-up application. That gives great texture too.

And this is why I don't work with gun props.... LOL :lol cuz I don't **** about guns. But interesting insights all the same. Thanks.

Hey don't worry about it. Some of the most awesome prop guns in history have been made without caring about some of that stuff.

You don't have to go any further than Star Wars or Blade Runner for examples. MG42 shoots laserbeams and so do broomhandle Mausers? WHY THE HELL NOT!:lol

Is that a firing pin above the barrel of your revolver detective Deckard? "Um no..." and is that a sanded down bolt? "Maybe......"

Fantastic work!
How did you achieve the little metallic flourishes that give it that turn of the century look?
Building something that could use a few of those.

Thanks in advace.
keep up the great work!

:)Spockboy

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back