Anyone done a decent Death Star based on a light up acrylic globe?

norlemann123

Hi!

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this allready or know of anyone that has. A big 3 footer is too big for my living room, but a smaller 1foot-ish would be nice and shouldn't be to difficult? I'm thinking the dish could be cut out from the globe, reversed and glued back in?

Edit: The globe in mind is any 2nd hand light up WORLD globe...

thoughts?

Last edited:
Wouldn't it just be the very same as the 3 footer, but at a smaller scale? The same techniques would apply. Pharchivist is doing the same with the 3 footer. Yours can be the first 1 footer!

Lasse (funny, eh !) built one.

The Model Shop with Lasse Henning

Yeah, so I've seen - it is fantastic! All Norwegians named Lasse are Star Wars nutters - didn't you know? lol

But seriously - I'm after a more lo-fi project. Maybe I'll do a "proper" death star at some point but atm I'm after "a quick fix" - something simple-ish to fiddle with in between the droidbuilding. I come across 2nd hand light up globes at thrift shops etc all the time and would love to persuade one over to the dark side :D

Last edited:
I realize I might need to be a bit more specific here - I'm thinking about using a light up 2nd hand WORLD globe - not a special-order acrylic dome/globe ;)

Not all Norwegian Star Wars fans are named 'Lasse'. I'm thinking you could keep it as an actual globe, with the light and everything, and then you can spin it around and show people the different 'locations' on the DS :)
PS: your droids look amazing, I guess a mini-DS would be no challenge at all.

Not all Norwegian Star Wars fans are named 'Lasse'. I'm thinking you could keep it as an actual globe, with the light and everything, and then you can spin it around and show people the different 'locations' on the DS :)
PS: your droids look amazing, I guess a mini-DS would be no challenge at all.

Exactly! :D "Here's the power geneerator responsible for the northern hemisphere, and down here you see the exhaustvent from the imperial latrine" :D

Thanks mate! - building aluminium astromechs isn't exactly rocket science - much of it is a matter of collecting (affording, lol) parts and assembling them. The scratchbuilders like Julien and many many others here at the RPF are who deserves the attention...

well I guess it depends on how particular you are with the details... for example the DS is not a perfect sphere... PHArchivists build went to great lengths to get the profile "just right" compared to the original. If you wanted to build it as a shere knowing nobody but "us" would be able to tell... a globe could work just fine.

I've thought about the cutting the hole and flipping the dish thing as well - I don't think that will work as well as you think btu if it does post the pics I'd be interested!

Jedi Dade

... for example the DS is not a perfect sphere...

Jedi Dade

I'm still a padawan here... is it eliptic? In wich "direction"? Width bigger than height?

Hmmm - for a quick mini DS I probably wouldn´t care, but if it was possible to mod the sphere into a more correkt shape (removing material from the middle maybe?) I sure would look into the possibilities of doing so.

If I do this I'll post pics - promise :)

This would certainly work, I've considered it myself. Just paint the globe using PH's method of mottling for the "cityscapes" and then drill out the windows. Don't drill all the way through the globe, just enough to get through the paint.

As for the shape, if the globe can be taken apart it can be done. Imagine two half spheres, but sanded down at the edges so they aren't full hemispheres, then joined together. The Death Star is wider at the equator than it is at the poles.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back