New BladeRunner badges cold-cast aluminium

Blad

Sr Member
I've been making the spinner badge for a while, but this cold-cast aluminium one came out really well.

bladerunnerspinner.jpg

Police Cap Badge cold-cast

bladerunnerpolice.jpg

995 Police (unfinished) and BladeRunner Symbol cold-cast

995symbol.jpg

brbadgesetsizes-1.jpg

Is the process used to cast these suckers called "lost wax"? I'm new to casting and molding, and I'm learning this stuff slowly but surely. :) The idea of casting molten medal is a bit intimidating to be honest. :)

Is the bottom pic clay masters? I like the owl.

Nice work. Love me some blade runner swag. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(Noeland @ Aug 21 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1304758[/snapback]</div>
Is the process used to cast these suckers called "lost wax"? I'm new to casting and molding, and I'm learning this stuff slowly but surely. :) The idea of casting molten medal is a bit intimidating to be honest. :)

Is the bottom pic clay masters? I like the owl.

Nice work. Love me some blade runner swag. :lol
[/b]

Cold casting is a process where you use metal powder mixed in resin. So basically it's a resin cast with metal powder mixed in to give the look of aluminum.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Cold casting is a process where you use metal powder mixed in resin. So basically it's a resin cast with metal powder mixed in to give the look of aluminum.[/b]

Ahhhhhh I see. Thank you for the clarification. I suppose I should have gleaned that COLD casting denotes a complete lack of molten anything. :lol especially medal. or as some spell it, metal.

I'll blame it on being sick all weekend from food poisoning. :eek:

Yep - cold-cast aluminium 2 parts urethane to 1 part aluminium powder by volume. :) And then polish, polish, polish with a bit more polishing thrown in for good measure.

Someone last week (who shall remain nameless unless they want me to mention their name) asked me if I could make a Blade Runner Police Cap Badge and 995 gorget. I went a bit BR mad and made the Owl, Chinese Symbol Police badge and Deckard/Police officer photo ID badge at the same time. The Owl is the Tyrell Corp. Symbol, not really a badge that one, more of a paperweight. :)

Eagle? The Owl believes itself to be authentic ;)

Spinner in copper.

spinnercopper.jpg

Owl 'paperweight' in copper - aged.

owlcopper.jpg

Non-BR. Johnny Alpha SD badge, clear resin encapsulation. 1st attempt. :) Marks are not bubbles, but caused by me being impatient at the 36 hour drying time for clear resin.
sd1-1.jpg

Any plans to sell any of these badges? I'd like to know if the shield is going to be produced for purchase? Thanks :cheers :thumbsup

I dig that owl in that color. It looks like it would be part of some sort of company signage in a lobby or some such, or maybe a memorial plaque of some sort.

Cool stuff. :thumbsup

I saw a guy try this on an Indy prop in cold cast bronze and it sucked. He painted over it in brass paint.

These came out pretty nice.

Careful you don't breathe the stuff.

If you just happen to make extras of say the spinner.... I would like at least 2.... ;)

Good old cold cast... Heck yeah....

I should think so :) When you say shield - do you mean the owl? Or my unfinished Police Badge with the radiants?

<div class='quotetop'>(tain669 @ Aug 23 2006, 01:57 AM) [snapback]1305401[/snapback]</div>
Any plans to sell any of these badges? I'd like to know if the shield is going to be produced for purchase? Thanks :cheers :thumbsup
[/b]

bbabich - pm sent.

Thanks for the comments guys.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back