ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Agreed they are not seen ,,,, 1/4-20 is really common in the US. maybe one day the real thing will pop up and all these questions will be known... A m6 version wont be hard to do ill have a handful for our European friends soon.

If this part is not from a German firearm, but sourced in England in 1976 , using vintage scrap parts, it's likely to be 1/4unf , however if it is indeed from Europe, it will definitely be m6 .
Engineering shops didn't really go metric fully until,the mid eighties in the uk .
Having said all that , as the thread is invisible on the prop, does it matter ?

If this part is not from a German firearm, but sourced in England in 1976 , using vintage scrap parts, it's likely to be 1/4unf , however if it is indeed from Europe, it will definitely be m6 .
Engineering shops didn't really go metric fully until,the mid eighties in the uk .
Having said all that , as the thread is invisible on the prop, does it matter ?

doesn't really matter !???

; )

frustrated.gif

Last edited:
Apparently I've been away too long.. This is clearly the one prop where research can seemingly never end. But then again, what else other than this masterpiece of a prop could take on that challenge? ;)

Thanks for this, Chris! I'm not sure why MR missed most of what they did to be honest.

If only we had access to archival photos like they did..

-Carson

Going over reference for this blaster the other day, I noticed a small detail that everyone seems to have missed.
The two thumb nuts are STRAIGHT knurled, not diamond knurled. It appears that every single replica missed this from Master Replicas to the new movies.
I'm guessing that after MR did diamond knurl everyone else assumed they knew what was correct and copied it.
Not sure how MR missed it.

Close up of the original prop (same top view from Chronicles)
View attachment 797213

Dave at Dark Energy said he's in the middle of a run now and could make some with straight knurl.

Yeah the proper thumbscrew is not on the Eumig case. I believe the poster was mistaken.

I do like that inverted kneeling on yours, though. Or are my eyes playing tricks?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Yeah the proper thumbscrew is not on the Eumig case. I believe the poster was mistaken.

I do like that inverted kneeling on yours, though. Or are my eyes playing tricks?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
it is inverted I never even noticed it before
F569E1B8-62BD-485E-99EF-A364819E0FD1.jpeg

Access to the Ranch Archive was granted but they often didn't know exactly what they had: they said "Here's the rebel blaster from ANH" and when shown, the librarian was told "no, that's from Empire."
After several times showing them photos from the films against what they thought they had, they came to believe and trust the people from MR.

Having access to those items 16-7 years ago was like that.
I heard this first hand from Steve who worked for MR.

The photos that have become available in the intervening years has yielded vast amounts of information we didn't have access to then.

Thanks for this, Chris! I'm not sure why MR missed most of what they did to be honest.

If only we had access to archival photos like they did..

-Carson

Hi folks I just finished all 154 pages
(at this point) over four days! And what a read that was. Insane, it's insane levels of research you have done all the way back from 2011, it was funny reading all the guess work as to what things are to what they actually turned out to be.

Anyway, I have a Denix, I live in the UK and could not find an MGC version anywhere so a Denix will have to do...

I doubt I will be able to make a carbon copy of the ANH hero, but with the information made available I reckon I could make a good 'version' of the DL44

Thanks for all the hard work guys I shall add my progress later.

Just wondering; does anybody have pictures of a Denix that has been "hyper-accurized"? I seem to remember a few people REALLY going to town on theirs in the past, though I can no longer find any of those images, for some reason. I think it was Kpax who first beat his Denix into submission and really cranked on it to get it looking pretty (though he abandoned(?) it once he was able to source an MGC), and then a few other people followed suit and started machining theirs to impressive degrees.

If anybody could find those images again I'd be SUPER stoked.

I did start with a denix that was really worked and as you say, I found an MGC and also altered the frame substantially.

The pics are gone thanks to photobucket. If I can locate some I will post again

there were a few recently that did some mods as well.

Just wondering; does anybody have pictures of a Denix that has been "hyper-accurized"? I seem to remember a few people REALLY going to town on theirs in the past, though I can no longer find any of those images, for some reason. I think it was Kpax who first beat his Denix into submission and really cranked on it to get it looking pretty (though he abandoned(?) it once he was able to source an MGC), and then a few other people followed suit and started machining theirs to impressive degrees.

If anybody could find those images again I'd be SUPER stoked.

I'm doing that, but my build has been back-burnered while I try to hunt down more info on the Merr-Sonn "scope" plug. I have images and measurements and eyewitness descriptions of unphotographed angles. I know it's a vintage 4-pin CB/ham radio style plug -- but with characteristics I've not seen on any modern iteration. Much headaches. But here's roughly what I've done to my Denix so far:

03b4 - Correcting breech.JPG03b7 - Correcting breech.JPG

The biggest thing is fixing the breech so the bull barrel fits properly. The magazine base plate can be approximated by carving the outline, drilling out the "release button" location on the bottom, and putting an appropriately sized pin in there. The Denix hammer is okay, with a bit of work. Depending on how much sweat-equity you want to put into it, you can create the illusion of the back end of the lock and the groove for the stock with careful Dremel and file work. The safety lever needs to be repositioned, which is best accomplished by either cutting off the Denix one, securing the knob to an accurately sized strip of metal, carving a notch for it, and gluing it in place... or buying the real deal and gluing it in place.

Me, I'm intending to get an actual C96 bolt and extractor rather than try to fix up the awful Denix one. I'm also superdetailing my Merr-Sonn, with the aftermarket phenolic grips, the "WM" monogram smoothed out and replaced with the Imperial cog, the sawn-off rear scope-mount post turned into an actual feature, and the blank right side billet plate (where the real C96 is engraved with "Waffenfabrik Mauser, Oberndorf-Nekkar" is engraved with "Merr-Sonn Munitions" in aurebesh. So my Denix cleanup is not necessarily what one should look to for making a DL-44. Here's the last full mock-up I did:

09a - Post-anodization mock-up.JPG

I have acquired more components since, so yes I know I need to update this. I haven't taken any pictures off my camera while waiting to see how the whole Photobucket thing shook out, but I'm trying to find time to catalogue the last year's worth of progress so I can update everything on here...

Thanks; though I moreso meant images of ones where people have done things like scribing the areas on the lower receiver to make it look like the Denix has an internal frame, recontouring the overall frame to more closely match that of an actual Mauser (or MGC), lowering the upper receiver to sit on the lower better, fixing the way the upper and lower screw together, reshaping the trigger, fixing the janky hammer, adding Mauser stamping, and cranking on the non-fuctional saftey molded into the frame (which I just finished on my old Denix, actually) - the more hardcore, obsessive mods that people have spent those extra long, hard hours working on (no offense).

20180605_210339.jpg20180605_210319.jpg

If I'm making any sense - I'm just trying to re-acclaim any old photos that I remember seeing of this kind of thing from back in the day - I even recall someone machining an entire custom upper receiver for their Denix's lower frame based off a real Mauser's dimensions. Again; I'd be super grateful if anyone could dig out those old photos; or even take some new ones if you have something like that yourself; it'd be massively appreciated while I resume work on my own. :)

Thanks; though I moreso meant images of ones where people have done things like scribing the areas on the lower receiver to make it look like the Denix has an internal frame, recontouring the overall frame to more closely match that of an actual Mauser (or MGC), lowering the upper receiver to sit on the lower better, fixing the way the upper and lower screw together, reshaping the trigger, fixing the janky hammer, adding Mauser stamping, and cranking on the non-fuctional saftey molded into the frame (which I just finished on my old Denix, actually) - the more hardcore, obsessive mods that people have spent those extra long, hard hours working on (no offense).

Oh, none taken. *lol* I'm the same. Like I said, I need to get the pics from further along off my camera, sorted, properly named, etc. I admit, the guy I got my Denix from had already done some work, and I'm not sure what all he'd tackled. The trigger and overall dimensions and fit seem pretty good, actually...

02a2 - Comparison.JPG02a1 - Comparison.JPG
03a1 - Comparison, top.JPG
03a2 - Comparison, side.JPG03a3 - Comparison, side.JPG

While I have some work yet to do around the loading/ejector opening, the receiver seemed a good enough starting point machining an entire new one seems a bit excessive. (And yes, I know my actual Mauser is a Bolo -- grip comparisons are not happening.)

The most extensive I'm going with mine is the original-parts sight and hardware, and the original-parts bolt and ejector. But I can also see going for an original mag base plate, lock mechanism, hammer, and safety, even though I'm not going that route. I don't feel like carving out that much zinc (already doing more of that than I want to on the right side of the mag, but that's a story for another time).

Nice to see you posting again, Vanitas!

I'd recommend checking out Matty Matt's ESB DL-44 Accurized Denix thread:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240719&page=8&highlight=matty+matt

I consulted his thread a lot when accurizing my Denix for my GK build ... check that out if you're inclined!
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=216859

Boba Debt has been running a Denix accurization service for the last few years or so, where he batch-sends them off to a machinist to have the side pockets milled deeper, extractor milled, etc., though I believe this last run was his final one.

Field Marshall is currently offering some accurized Denix's on his website with some pretty cool features ... an actual removable extractor plate among them!
http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/...machined-stardard-denix-replica-noncutbarrel/

There have also been a few more recent Denix builds that have taken things to new extremes, though I can't seem to find them right now! Serial numbers stamped in, vintage grips fitted ... very impressive!

Hope that helps.

MB

View attachment 822383View attachment 822384

If I'm making any sense - I'm just trying to re-acclaim any old photos that I remember seeing of this kind of thing from back in the day - I even recall someone machining an entire custom upper receiver for their Denix's lower frame based off a real Mauser's dimensions. Again; I'd be super grateful if anyone could dig out those old photos; or even take some new ones if you have something like that yourself; it'd be massively appreciated while I resume work on my own. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back